It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California offices to be closed Friday

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Its hard for me to understand that so many don't see the collapse of California and the lack of attention in the media as a concern. Over one million have lost their job this year and we sit back waiting to see what happens thinking its going to be okay. Well folks get ready for the riple effect.

Scores of state offices will be closed Friday as more than 200,000 workers take their first unpaid day off in response to California's deepening fiscal crisis.

TextThat means Californians won't be able to take a driver's license test, appeal a rejected unemployment claim or conduct business at some state office buildings.

Among the closed offices will be all Department of Motor Vehicles outlets, Fish and Game, Food and Agriculture, Social Services and the Commission on Teacher Credentialing. The Department of Mental Health will be closed, but mental hospitals will remain open. Workers Compensation offices will be closed

www.latimes.com...

Wake Up America

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
If someone wants to question the one million being laid off.......see my other post for the links and count the numbers.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Looks like a dream come true........... if your Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Don't make me pull out all the "quotes" from the internet.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
pleh foo whoopty woop...............whats the BIG DEAL here?

All the state of Utah offices cut back to a 4 day work week about 6 months ago and NOTHING run by the state is open on a Friday. State employees have a 3 day weekend every week. You just learn to do your biz with them between Mondays and Thursdays, and thats not THAT hard to do....

Sounds like Cali just MIGHT be waking up and joining the people who run a profitable state level economy for a change.

[edit on 5-2-2009 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with the state taking a day a week off. Again people don't know the big picture of what California represents to the U.S. and the world from an economical stand point. If or should I say when Cal falls so will two other states on the east coast.........Then the rest who are on the fence will fall as well. People do your research before making woopti doo comments.

[edit on 5-2-2009 by Cloudsinthesky]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Now wait a minute guys, the Op has brought a valuable piece of evidence to the table here and should not be poo pooed away for their efforts.

Change is never easy to accept in the beginning and can often be a point of confusion when it is coming at a vulnerable time such as the economic crisis in Ca in the past month.

I have some questions for those of you that have seen this happen in your states, for one how does this affect the workers financially? And how easy was the transition for the people of your state?

Funny I was not aware that in Utah was it, that all the Government offices closed on friday. With the US population growing seems like it could make standing in line for your business even worse than before if there are only 4 days to conduct your affairs.

Where will this end? Can you see the day when the DMV is only open a couple days a week? Wow, this could be a problem.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Nice Post Antar

At least you get it. There are several threads about this subject and I have posted on several linking sources of distress. People who make comments with out knowledge are just among the sheep in the herd!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Understood, seems when things are flying at us a thousand miles an hour it is not always easy to catch all the scenery as it passes by.

I wouldnt get to worked up about this issue from what we have learned from above posters, seems it is more common than either of us knew.

Still with so many changes happening all at once it is good to have the many voices and eyes of the forum members, dont you agree?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
There are seven days in a week... why can the state work out a 4 day work week with employees working shifts that cover weekends. That is right... we pay their salaries, so we are at their bidding. I work weekends, why can't government employees...there certainly are enough of them.

Electricity, etc.? Usually the lights are on all the time, anyway...and usually quite brightly.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Apparently you haven't noticed all the posts on the boards dealing with the bankruptcy of California.

We are well aware and we are watching.

What we see is how government, when allowed by the populace to tax and spend beyond what revenue is coming in, falls apart.

The people of California have elected officials who cannot even agree to a budget, much less balance one, and they keep voting them in.

They allow their government to literally pander to people who are not even in this country legally, and support them too.

Believe me, we are watching very closely, because the Federal government is following in the exact same footsteps.

So we get to see the preview by way of California, before the Feature Presentation.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Antar

Thanks for the post but this is something to be worked up about. The facts are very serious for what looks to be an apocalyptic out come and the events that will unfold. This thread was not to present the case about Californias potential collapse, that has been done in several other threads and post.

This thread is to keep the facts in front of ATS members because you will see very little about this in the national media................until its too late

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
So to be clear, are they bankrupt... or just didn't passed a budget for 2009?

Because I'm sure they won't close the government for a year...

Is there any talk at Washington for a California bailout?

What do they plan to do? Close the offices until they are no more in deficit?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Where will this end? Can you see the day when the DMV is only open a couple days a week? Wow, this could be a problem.

Yes, devolution right before our eyes.

We survived the 1980's recession, because there was still money (and job potential) in the economy. This loss of income is not only big personal deflation for the workers but also a loss of income for all those small businesses that depend on that income.

Unfortunately, our economy (even nationally) has been built up so much on service jobs, that, when discretionary income is lowered/lost, there goes the money to spend on services.

When I see young people with families, who tell me that they're looking for work because they lost their job in construction, I cry inside as I wish them luck. Businesses are just starting to shed jobs as cats shed fur.

Yes, clouds, I remember reading that CA's economy is the fifth largest in the world. We may just be one state of 50, but our economy is ginormous. Watch what happens at the World Ag Expo held in Tulare next week. That could give us clues as to how things will come down.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Desert, Thanks for the post...........we need to hear from people like you so that we are informed. I have talked here at ATS to many Californians and it all depends where you live because you are such a large state. But everyone had one thing in common......a down hill slope. Some slopes where a little more steep. Good Luck!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
How about laying off 1/5 of the state employees and keep the state government offices open?
No?
Why not?
I see. There is no American Greedy Reckless Union involved to create unemployment among the California folks who work for the state.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

The State of California employs more than 200,000 people, and as a result of previous layoffs, and a steadily rising population to serve, is already seriously understaffed.

Laying off 1/5 of the workforce would mean an additional 40,000 people unemployed.

In a weakened, possibly collapsing economy, with jobs becoming increasingly scarce.

40,000 families possibly losing their homes in a state with one of the nation's highest forclosure rates.

40,000 additional people drawing unemployment from an unemployment system that is already out of funds and forced to borrow from the federal government.

40,000 fewer people able to afford to buy the goods that the rest of us produce, meaning our jobs facing a greater risk of being lost.

40,000 people, including cops, firefighters, health care workers, teachers, and safety (food, air, water, public utilies, roads, and bridges) inspectors.

Great use of logic there.

Go ahead, cut off your nose to spite your face.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

Exactly when was the last layoff?

Laying off 40,000 state workers would mean less taxes on an already highly taxed population. Less taxes equals more spending which also means more jobs. These are real tax paying and producing jobs.

Laying off 40,000 state workers means less future pensions (fat pensions that far exceed anything in the public sector) that have to be paid eventually by our children.

Laying off 40,000 means the state can get back into budget. If the state budget is in the red, 40,000 workers will be laid off anyways, either by the state or through businesses trying to adjust to the eventual spike in taxes.

Laying 40,000 state workers means that the democrat party and state unions will lose power which I think is the real reason for the opposition to laying off state workers.

These are tough economic times. The people of California are already the highest taxed and we really are strained. The state has to either cut back or tax more. If we get an increase in taxes, I can assure that more people will leave California, shrinking the tax base, there will be far more than 40,000 state worker layoffs.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Peter Schiff's predictions are becoming.

Anyone consider Peter might be "special" ? In terms of, maybe he is potentially Presidential material. He seems to be so unique.

I am very intrigued by him. I think he has something to offer the world. Something big.

He said Cities and states would be closing a year ago.

California is a fine state but state governments have gotten way too big. Because we are a service sector economy, we are in trouble.

Basically, we have to close a lot of states like California up. Sorry, Out of Business. Post the sign up. Big, massive states, like California are going to suffer the worst.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Oh well if California goes broke so does the whole US,California could survive as it's own country,so take the 5th largest economy out of the equation the US will fold like a hot hershey bar,face it people where do you think the most taxes come from? don't be hatin on California,your just seeing the handwriting on the wall

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
To those of you who blame Californians for continually electing the same idiots, allow me to point out that the same idiots are the only choices we are ever offered.

California's meltdown began when they deregulated electricity and allowed the power companies to loot the state with impunity: we never truly recovered from that, and are still feeling the effects.

Do you guys realize one of the side effects of closing the DMV today? A big pulse of cash to government from their share of impound fees. Everyone who couldn't get their car out of impound by Thursday will now have to pay weekend rates, adding several hundred dollars to the fees.

Where's my damned pitchfork?!?....(searching....searching..)

[edit on 6-2-2009 by apacheman]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join