It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone here "Fold@Home"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
folding.stanford.edu...

What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease?
Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

You can help by simply running a piece of software.
Folding@home is a distributed computing project -- people from throughout the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer takes the project closer to our goals. Folding@home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.

Shall we start an ATS F@H team or do we already have one?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Fold@home is a great thing, while you read ATS your computer works out how to cure all sorts of illness -brilliant!

My main computer broke but as soon as i get a main unit again i'll start folding again. Everyone should join in, we could understand proteans quicker and then we'll be open to so many great new things, not just the cure to most illness but also protean machines, bio computers, etc, etc

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
i'm confused
i read it, yeah, but i still don't understand. what is a supercomputer doing that could possibly be any good to protein folding? If it could calculate all the possible defects attributed to protein folding mishap, what good would it do? How could it really help. My question is, what are the realistic benefits of such a program. And i wouldn't trust it unless they let me take a look at the source code, which they most likely would not, and would be illegal to do without their permission. It would defeat the purpose to install it and then jack the source code. no, i don't fold@home.

Well, i fold towels.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Trust me, this is WAYYY more meaningful than that SETI@Home.

If you browse around their websites, you can find the research topics that universities have been working on. Their success depend on these models and possibilities.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
wow quiet a few questions,

A distributed network of home computers lets F@H perform calculations at a rate of almost 500teraflops making it one of the fastest supercomuters in the world at the moment.

The folding of proteans is basically what makes us, almost everything in us works with proteans and if we can understand the simulation of proteans then we'll e able to better understand our biology, we will then of course have more tools available to keep ourselves healty.

So far Stanford Uni have released over sixty peer reviewed papers and added loads to the world of science, plus they have many more undergoing the peer review process.

While the program is only available in a binary package so that results can be assured to be correct the majority of the code is available open source, also i would like to point our that all most all the programs you use could hijack your system, any number of virus attacks could control your system and if you're a windows user then back doors in the systen will let people (microsoft, government, etc) take over your box - Vijay Pand is too busy doing real science to worry about starting a bot net and he already has access to one of the greatest computer labs in the world.

so really you should be folding@home, not just towls

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
in that case i'll look into it. And i linux all the way. No Window into my personal life for me. i personally just don't trust any programs. Especially something used to network multiple computers worldwide.

And it sounds like a good humanitarian effort to me, at least i'll be contributing something to global betterment.

But, you know, tin foil caps and all that.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I actually have this on my Playstation 3 and I run it quite a bit when I'm not playing games... kinda cool graphics also when your bored, lol

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
so shall we start a team?

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by XTexan
I actually have this on my Playstation 3 and I run it quite a bit when I'm not playing games... kinda cool graphics also when your bored, lol

I do it on my PS3 as well. I used to run BOINC on all of my computers (and work servers, haha), but I have since stopped. I know ATS has a SETI@HOME team so a folding team should be in order.

BTW, nice rifle. Is that an EOTech? My EOTech was a nice addition to my Robinson Arms XCR.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Seti@home is a joke because they're looking for something really specific, even if there are a million aliens in range it's likely none of them will use the outdated (even to us) systems seti looks for.

Steven Hawking points out that 'you don't shout in the jungle' and Mitchio Kaku points out on the subject, anyone communicating over long distances would switch to a more secure method very soon, not just for security reasons but it would be more energy efficient and probably faster.

Maybe we'll be able to detect aliens soon, seti isn't going to be the thing that does it though and it's such a shame to see so many wasted cycles which could be working to cure the likes of alzheimer's and cancer.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
natureboy, how many points do you have

new topics

top topics

join