It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why i didnt get the job!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
frst off i dont know if this is in the right thread so if its wrong im sorry.

with the week we have had in britain my experience at a interview kind of confirmed it for me.
forst off im not racoist i never have been i think everyone is equal.
but today really took the biscuit.

i went for an interview went through all the usual why i want the job, what i can bring to the company so on.
what confused me was why the interviewer was so shifty and nervous looking.
well i found out at the end of the interview, the interviewer said that i WOULD of been a good candidate but they were looking for people who where of a more ethnic background.
this really angered me i was not given my job why because im british or to white what the hell.
and its happened the same week people have been striking because the british worker are losing jobs because of foreign workers.

im just wondering if anyone else on here from england is having the same problem.
perhaps someone on here can shed some light as to why this happened today.
and what they think of what is going on

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I can tell you in the states you need to hire diversely or your business can get sued or fined. They probably haven't hit their quota for diversity in the work place and sadly the best candidate is not always true anymore.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
the problem im seeing over here more and more is that more people are joining the bnp which worries me because i went on there site earlier just to be nosey and pasically i like to research things before commenting on them and they kept saying things like more work for the white british this worried me because generally just because your white does not make you british.
what would happen if these guys got in, what would they do.
i have a lot of friends from different ethnic backgrounds.

im angry but also worried is this just going to escalate.

its like the building of the olympics most of the workers are foreign and people from the west end that are jobless cant get a look in.

is this problem going to escalate are there going to be riots. perhaps more racial crimes.

lets face it the youth today havent got many prospects including myself , will they be easily recruited.

will we see history repeat itself.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kerrichin

Mate that is illegal, do you have that in writing. If so get in touch with ACAS.

Peace

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Affirmative Action isn’t it a beaut. Sadly companies have to sometimes hire different ethnic groups because they have to many white people already working for them. It’s a cover our ass clause against lawsuits brought about by minorities. It’s sad that sometimes the best person for the job will not get it because of his race. Every man woman and child are equal so race should not play a part but sadly it does. I wander if now that the US has an African American for a president, the highest position available in the US, if Affirmative Action will be done away with.

Before I am bashed let me say I am not racist every body is equal. People should be judged on merit and who they are not the color of their skin or gender.

[edit on 6-2-2009 by Ant4AU]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
When will the clowns of society realize that skin color is not a factor when it comes to ability. The folks that supported these laws seem to think that because people have darker skin, that they need help. These laws force all companies to discriminate on the basis of skin color.They are telling the blacks, natives, mexicans etc.. that they have no hope getting ahead in life through their own ability. They are essentially telling them that they are too stupid and dumb to get ahead in life through their own efforts and that the only way to get ahead in life is at the point of a gun (government). Then I ask you, who is the real racist?

[edit on 6-2-2009 by Cool Hand Luke]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Yes I am sorry for the way the interview turned out kerrichin. We will never know the all out reason for why but but if it is really because of your race that is outright disgusting
, and considering your a native of your country!

I do understand the concepts of affirmative action type measures in businesses but there are other more effect and less discrimminating ways to allow equal chances for minorities to get a fair chance other than to get a hand out because they are a minority. There will always be racist staff, bosses, business owners etc who will hire according to race or religion, and it goes both ways. We cant stop these things completely but we can put through measures to make sure the interviews were conducted fairly, and necessarily just give an individual a job and a refuse another because his/shes not a minority.

But I do hate it when there are some here who are outright against the preservence of equal treatment laws for all. You dont have to be for affirmative action but this excuse that "we're all equal now theres no need to preserve civil rights" is just BS and not proven. There needs to be systems in place in the west particular to assure equality for both minorities and majorities. Jobs need to go to the most qualified, not as to who will make the business more diverse or the businesses out there only hiring the majority.

[edit on 6-2-2009 by southern_Guardian]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by southern_Guardian

The election of an African American doesn't show that the majority in the US feel like everyone is equal. I know that there are racist employers. Affirmative Action hurts more than it helps. You have plenty of people that do not deserve a job because they are useless but they get the job for their race. I know I have worked at a company where the only reason some of the people were not fired is because of their race. Affirmative action is abused therefore it is useless.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
as a former business owner i always hired on the potential employees merit and work references from former employers. if they were hard workers showed up everyday ready to get the job done and got along with others and were physically able to do work required. (construction- a lot of heavy lifting) they got the job. it didn't matter if they were male female, black white blue purple yellow with pink pokidots.

Do I think everyone is created equal? yes i do.

Do I think that equal opportunity laws need to be removed from the books? It would be nice But it won't happen in my life time. there are to many racists in each race that are in a position of power to discriminate against other races to remove the laws from the books.

As a former business owner have i been sued for not hiring someone that applied for a job based on their race? Yes I Have.

Did the case have merit? HELL NO the guy was a worthless, lazy, piece of **** that was accused of stealing from his previous employer.

Did the judge throw out his case? yes he did when i showed the judge references from just 2 of his former employers. and showed he wasn't qualified for the job i needed filled as well.

Simple fact of the matter is in the U.S. Yes the equal rights laws are meant to help minorities to get jobs But at the same time some times they hurt Whites in the U.S.

By law in the U.S. depending on the number of employees you have you have to hire so many minorities and it doesn't matter if the white guy is more qualified to meet your minority "quota" you have to sometimes pass up the more qualified worker if he's white. It Sucks BUt those are the rules to owning your own business.

In the one case that i was sued in, the only things that saved me was i had a white female employee and 2 hispanics. and 5 white males. and his crappy references. and since i had under 10 employees by law i didn't have to hire a minority employee if i didn't want to.

So IMO equal rights and equal opportunity laws need to stay on the books but they need to be looked at and if needed modified so your not helping one group at the cost of discriminating against the other group.

edit to add and the guy that tried to sue me was black.

[edit on 2/6/2009 by Mercenary2007]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ant4AU

The election of an African American doesn't show that the majority in the US feel like everyone is equal.

I dont kind of follow. If your stating that the majority voted in the man just because he was black, you are greatly misinformed, ofcourse racism hasnt dissappeared off the face of the earth because Obama was elected. Nobody would dispute that fact.

I know that there are racist employers. Affirmative Action hurts more than it helps. You have plenty of people that do not deserve a job because they are useless but they get the job for their race.

Definatly, and I acknowledged that fact in my prior post, I displayed my disgust for the OPs loss (if it is true). That being said I also added that there needs to be laws in place and upheld to assure that both sides are getting equal treatment interviews. We are beginning to see pattern here where its as if any minority who gets a good job, its because of affirmative action, and that we're equal, theres no need for these laws to assure equal treatment in interviews, and thats where folks are wrong.

Im saying that if your going to preach equality, and a job to the person who deserves it, preach it on both fronts, for all. Not every white person who looses a job interview to a minority lost it because of affirmative action and vice versa.

I know I have worked at a company where the only reason some of the people were not fired is because of their race. Affirmative action is abused therefore it is useless.

Yes it has, but that doesnt mean the entire concept of equal treatment for staff and job seekers should be taken away. There is a need for such policies in place, and I agree affirmative action is not one of them. Recognize both sides, not just one, or else you'll find yourself being hypocritical over the matter.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Did you use capitalization and proper puncuation on your resume?

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I would not have been mad if not hired because i was not the ethnic background they wanted.

I would have been truly pi**ed at them for wasting my time and money by having to interview for a job that i was not going to get because they never planed to hire me for it because of my ethnic background.

In many states in the US telling someone that they can not be hired because they are not a minority is as much a violation as telling a minority that they can not be hired because they are a minority.

As a ex boss that has hired people for jobs there are many Safe ways to tell someone they are not right for the job with out bring up ethnic background.

And there are many reason to do it in a way the makes it not look ethnic.

I will bet that the name of this company gets around the other people looking for work in a unflattering way.
And it may cost them good future employees because of it.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   

I also have had bad interview experiences, in your case you could sue and would've had a good shot if you recorded the interview, don't know if it's illegal there but it's legal here and I am seriously considering recording my next interview, I didn't get a job with geico because of my religion, I know because I can tell how the interviewer said 'you people' and he said good luck with the next interview, I got 100% on the computer test and he claimed they didn't have any roleplay interviewers available, which was a lie, geico sucks, if I recorded that conversation I could've at least proven he lied, but job interviewers seem to be more and more candid telling incriminating things, I'm wearing my mp3 watch and recording the next one.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

[/quoteI dont kind of follow. If your stating that the majority voted in the man just because he was black, you are greatly misinformed, ofcourse racism hasnt dissappeared off the face of the earth because Obama was elected. Nobody would dispute that fact.

I am not saying the only reason he was elected is because he is black. I am saying that the majority of the US looked past his race and elected him. Thus showing that the majority of the US is beyond racism.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Well, this country hires based on astrological sign

www.foxnews.com...

An Austrian insurance company is under fire for recruiting workers born under certain astrological signs, the Daily Mail reported.

The Salzburg insurance company advertised job postings for employees in sales and management whose signs were Capricorn, Taurus, Aquarius, Aries and Leo, because they believed statistically they are the best workers.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Get used to it.

In today's society, it is OK to discriminate against over white males.

Usually, the interviewers won't say that, you just don't get the job.

When my son applied to colleges he was accepted to every school that he applied to. He accepted at a school that has a very good reputation. He didn't get any offers for scholarships etc. I was told, off the record, that he was white listed.

One of his friends was an underrepresented minority. Even though that persons family made way more money than we did, he got a full ride scholarship. He even had money for a tutor. So, he hired my son as a tutor. My son graduated with a masters degree and high honors while tutoring a person with a full ride scholarship who was an average C student. So much for rewarding excellence.

We had several conversations about this and I pointed out that when he got out into the real world he would be rewarded. So far, he is doing great.

This is the nature of the PC world that we have created.

[edit on 6-2-2009 by Wildbob77]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
And this is the problem it is alright to step on the white people today. Because if you do not step on them you are obviously a racist. Today Affirmative Action is abused and as said earlier it hurts as much, if not more than it helps. So yes it should be done away with. Unfortunately racism is still part of society so some form of equal rights need to be in effect, but we need to find one that can not be easily abused.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
perhaps interviews should be done with a screen between the interviewer and the interviewee then they wont know what colour we are

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Employers can get around this affirmative action thing if they do not advertize or hire an employment agency.
They simply let their employees know that they are looking for someone for a certain position.
Usually someone has a friend or a friend of a friend who is unemployed or looking for something else or could be pursuaded.
The business I worked for did this as did most in town.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join