It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uncle Sam Wants Me!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
So, I'm 33, pretty well established(but hurting like everyone), wife, kid on the way and what do I get in the mail today? That's right, a Marines flyer not only titled to me but also asking for me to recruit a friend lol. With there own little flyer and all!

I'm not sure why they would with my age and being that I have never even sat down with a recruiter. I never showed interest so I don;t think I'd be in the system(
oh we all are). If this is just random it's pretty wasteful for the marines to be sending out these extremly elaborate flyers blindly. I'm sure they arn't cheap to produce. If intentional, well then they're getting desperate but I reassure you Marines, the government hasn't made things so desperate for me yet to get me to join. Try back next year.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Tyr Sog

Yeah I used to get those flier in the mail when I was in middle school so long ago. Only reason I ever wrote back was to get the free hats and duffle bags they give away sometimes.
I still get them from time to time. Makes me chuckle.
My mother got one a few years ago. I saw it in the trash. Picked it up thinking it was for my younger sister. Nope! Was addressed to her. She's older than you are and definitely not Marines material.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
OK, I'm 43 and I get about one a month, that was easy to deal with and always good for a laugh. Now I get 2 - 3 emails a week trying to get me to join. Money for college, "Jobs for every profession" the list goes on but you get the drift.

I've never talked with a recruiter nor did I send off for the free stuff when I was in jr/sr high school. Things must really be getting bad for them right now.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
with the economy in the pits and more and more people becoming unemployed daily, I'm sure the recruiters are just drooling at the mouth at the prospect of new recruits. It's no secret we have a shortage of military personnel in the U.S. currently.
As some of the recent reports floating around these days, Government jobs ie the military is looking better and better to the individual that is barely making it or has no income at all due to job loss ect.
I foresee this as becoming a common trend.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
My two year old gets bulk mail offers all of the time because her name is on the "Highlights" subscription. I let you know if she gets something from the Military.

It is called marketing. The military is just exploring new methods. Although, if the economy keeps going South, the military will not need to market for recruits. They will probably turn people away.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Well if Uncle Sam wants you tell him you want Truth - Justice and the American Way... ..~~

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I love the idea of just using Mexicans for the military.

Seriously, they wanna come be Americans? This would be a perfect legal way to become a citizen. I would feel pretty proud of them as neighbors if they fought for our country, instead of moving right in and immediately starting to dispurse drugs around the neighborhood.

Heh, to stay on topic... I had the Army calling me a couple times a week. Being on ATS all this time, was just too paranoid to answer. Eventually they took the hint and stopped calling.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I am only 21 but I havent reciebed any "Join the military" ads in a year or so now.

My highschool used to sell there graduated contact info to them! So I would get calls from recruiters about once a week for quite a while.

Apparently my school stopped selling that info though after lots of complains and threats of lawsuits.

Ha, when I was in highschool I was a trouble maker, so the first time I got a message on my answering machine saying "Scott, this is SGT.____ I need you to call me back at (555)555-5555. We need to talk." I was thinking, oh god what did I do that would piss off the army?

I think they have changed the new recruit age to 40(?) so really 33 is not out of the question...

Seeing how my school used to sell contact info to the military, I wonder, have you entered any contests lately? Such as the ones you see at resteraunts where you leave a business card in a bowl? It is not out of the question that they could have sold that info....

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Years ago i was going to join the navy, to get away from my problems, but i choose not too, and will not ever do it.

Years ago maybe the navy may of been a good turn, but not today.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I have had recruitment emails in the past couple of years from.....(drumroll)...... the TSA and MI5.

TSA... what the hell, I'm not even American. I did consider writing a humorous email back to them but decided not to. As I travel to the US a lot and have family there, I didn't want some humourless A-hole putting me on a "list" somewhere.

MI5... If only they knew what I thought of the government and all the backroom boys!
The job was for surveillance operatives working mainly in the UK but possibly abroad too, attached to various Embassies.
The pay was laughable and at the time I was earning twice as much in the private security industry, in a nice office and without the risk of being shot or thrown in a foreign jail for spying.
Anyhoos, there was no Aston Martin company car mentioned, no gadgets, hot chicks undressing as soon as they look at me and no license to severely chastise an opponent or enemy of the state.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
It really doesn't make much sense sometimes how they send out these paper fishing hooks. Between the Ages of 18 and 21 I got perhaps a total or two or three such pieces of mail but other than that they didn't pester me much; however at 25 i regularly get letters from the AARP of all places, and I'm definitely not quite retirement home material just yet.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
If the Marines keep soliciting your services (and soul) you can always inquire about the buddy plan for yourself and same sex lover..... In the sixties the only ways out were confessing to mass murders, drug use, homosexuality, around the clock masturbation, and very convincing suicide attempts..... In cases of the latter, if caught in the process the Drill Instructors would assist you by at least telling you how to complete the task. Some guys got lucky and were crippled before they got out of Boot Camp but even some of them ended up on the D.M.Z. for thirteen months anyway.... As a highly decorated Korean War Marine veteran told me after I had enlisted, " You will never be the same, and that doesn't mean that the change will be for the better".... If a Marine returning from Vietnam had less than six months left on his enlistment, he was released from active duty. ... The only people that would hire pissed off highly skilled killing machines were police departments, and not many of them I knew could even adjust to that type of work in a big city.... Some Marine Corps. officers and senior N.C.O.s did well in that field though in state law enforcement, where they were moved around from place to place.

new topics

top topics

join