It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hope vs. The Nazi's- The Bielski Brothers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Lets start off with some background information about this remarkable story that many have not heard of.

Tuvia Bielski (1906–1987) was the leader of the partisan group the Bielski Brothers who were situated in the Naliboki forest in pre-war Poland (now western part of Belarus) during the Second World War. His aim as leader was not to attack railroads and roads that the Nazis were using as supply routes—although there were some attacks—but to save the Jews who were under persecution from the Nazis during the Holocaust.

Tuvia and his brothers, Asael, Aron and Zus Bielski were Jewish and lived in Stankievichy (Today its called Belarus) during WWII. They lived on a farm until one day when the Nazi's launched Operation Barbarossa in 1941, the brothers and there parents were relocated to Navahrudak, which became a Jewish Ghetto.

In December of 1941 there lives would change forever when the brothers parents were killed. When the Nazi's began to implement there holocaust and kill the Jews. The brothers (as well as 13 others) were able to successfully flee to a nearby forest called the Nalibok Forest.

Tuvia became the leader of the refugee's and no one was turned away. Tuvia sent people to recruit others in nearby Jewish Ghettos to build forces. Hundreds of men, women, and children eventually found their way to the Bielski camp; at its peak 1,230 strong.

The partisans lived in underground dugouts (zemlyankas) or bunkers. In addition, several utility structures were built: a kitchen, a mill, a bakery, a bathhouse, a medical clinic for sick and wounded, and a quarantine hut for those who suffered from infectious diseases such as typhus. Herds of cows supplied milk.

Artisans made goods and carried out repairs, providing the combatants with logistical support that later served the Soviet partisan units in the vicinity as well. More than a hundred workers toiled in the workshops, which became famous among partisans far beyond the Bielski base: tailors patched up old clothing and stitched together new garments; shoemakers fixed old and made new footwear; leather-workers laboured on belts, bridles, and saddles. A metalworking shop established by Shmuel Oppenheim repaired damaged weapons and constructed new ones from spare parts. A tannery, constructed to produce the hide for cobblers and leather workers, became a de-facto synagogue because several tanners were devout Hasidic Jews. Carpenters, hat-makers, barbers, watchmakers served their own community and guests. The camp's many children attended class in the dugout set up as a school. The camp even had its own jail and court of law.

By 1943 the Nazis were aware of Tuvia Bielski and offered a reward for his capture (100,000 I believe). As the war progressed the Jewish Partisans began to also work with Soviet Partisans who at the time began to inflitrate the Nazi regimes around the area, with Tuvia's brother "Zus" also taking leadership within the group.

The Bielski partisan leaders split the group into two units, one named Ordzhonikidze, led by Zus, and the other Kalinin, commanded by Tuvia. According to partisan documentation, Bielski fighters from both units killed a total of 381 enemy fighters, sometimes during joint actions with Soviet groups.

During a huge offensive by the Germans to stop the Russian offensive. The Belieski Brothers were caught in the middle, luckily the Russians were able to takeover the area and liberate the land. The war in that area was over and the war evetually would end.

What was interesting I thought was that Tuvia Bielski would not abandon women, children, and the elderly; he would not leave them behind to die defenceless and alone. So I suppose the question is, is this a story of how hope can overcome and stall the evil that they faced? They kept the hope that they would live and they kept the hope of the others that they protected alive. Does this show that hope is a weapon and if neccessary could a story like this occur again?

There is a movie out about this it is called Defiance, I myself have not sen it yet but I acnnot wait until I do. Until then friends, allow this story of Hope to show that no matter how strong the evil is that you have to face, that they can be overcome by hope.

Wikipeadia- Bielski Partisan

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
it is a complete lie. he was never fighting agains germans. he was olny robbing and raping the polish landlords. what you are writing here is a total crap my friend. read some more documents about his history. he is famous for the killings he made to Poles. never fighting with germans anyway

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Here check out the video link:

Defiance Trailer

This is an amazing story, that unforunatley many have never heard.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
No one is interested in this amazing story?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

I have yet to see the movie but my brother in law is related to the brothers. second cousins or something. He said he'd heard stories from them growing up. His own parents were both camp survivors and they never spoke much about it until his dad died, then his mother opened up and told her story and everything she knew regarding his father's.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
You got a s&f from me, bro.

I have seen the trailer for Defiance, but this is the first time I have read about the story, and I do agree with hope as being a powerful weapon. We should never lose hope no matter how dark it gets, and these people proved that being optimistic can change things for the better.

... can’t wait to see the movie!

I may be way off in left field, but I do believe that people will see dark days again… A time of Great Tribulation, but we are told… when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Good movie, worth watching.

This isn't a second line I swear!

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

That is very interesting, actually hearing the stories first hand from the actual survivors.

Reply to Apaulo:

Much thanks, I appreciate the kind words and the interesting theory. I also beleive you on that issue as well, dark days are on the way.

Reply to Riveria:

I believe you on this second line issue..lol..

top topics

join