It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How a Surfer Dude Stunned the World of Science With the 'Theory of Everything'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I have allways thought that

- geometrical shapes

- Multiplication / math

must be the 2 fundermental issues surrounding the theory of everything..

But either way 1 question that will never be answerd is how it all started. The big bang makes sense but what made space / and the elements for the big bang. Only god knows

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain
reply to post by mbkennel

The Pioneer gravitaitonal anomaly

Couldn't that be caused by a nearby red-dwarf nobody's supposed to know about ?

No. The direction of the anomaly is radial (pointing towards or away from center of mass of solar system), and it affects Pioneer 10 and 11 equally---they are going off in opposite directions.

Any undiscovered large gravitating mass would affect the closer one more than the farther one.

Really smart people have looked into all sorts of things and ruled out a fair number of mundane explanations and done some really hairy engineering computations.

This was the status a few years ago---maybe it's been resolved today?

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain
reply to post by mbkennel

The Pioneer gravitaitonal anomaly

Couldn't that be caused by a nearby red-dwarf nobody's supposed to know about ?

The Pioneer gravitational anomaly is being discussed again in publications such as "astronomy" magazine. It is actually on the front page in this month's issue. I have not read it yet though.. But why must gravity from a "nearby red-dwarf" be the cause? Perhaps it is dark matter or dark energy. Dark energy does make up something like 70% of the known universe and Dark matter is so powerful it literally holds together entire galaxy clusters (Not to mention, our own galaxy supposedly). Perhaps this is the proof of dark matter/dark energy scientists have been looking for.

And this comes to mind..
The craft could be simply traveling through a cloud of minute ice particles eventually slowing the speed of the craft. Scientists believe that the Oort cloud is where all comets were formed and originate from anyway. I've always wondered where all that water came from though too. It had to come from somewhere.. Mars? Jupiter? The sun? The disk of gas and dust that created our solar system? WHO KNOWS!

-ChriS

[edit on 6-2-2009 by BlasteR]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   

And this comes to mind..
The craft could be simply traveling through a cloud of minute ice particles eventually slowing the speed of the craft. Scientists believe that the Oort cloud is where all comets were formed and originate from anyway. I've always wondered where all that water came from though too. It had to come from somewhere.. Mars? Jupiter? The sun? The disk of gas and dust that created our solar system? WHO KNOWS!

-ChriS

That's actually one of the best conventional explanations---the space craft is impacting dust,etc which is closer to being at rest with the solar system center of mass. Momentum conservation => slower speed.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I haven't looked into what's been written about this anomaly at all. Only what I read in the popular press months and months ago, it seems.

As I recall, the anomaly in gravitation was deduced because the position of the vehicle was not where they thought it should be. And that error is on the order of a "fraction of a millimeter."

Does memory serve? Is this magnitude correct ?

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Godhood

William Faulkner would just LOVE your sentence writing style! I'm with you--the guy may not be comparable to Einstein, but rather deserves to be put on his own playing field (which isn't all too bad a place).

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

2c worth ?? more like 1c (or less) worth..

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Not surprising, Computers are capable of computing the Universe given enough power. It's all in the Math, you can predict the probably outcome of any given situation, if you can calculate all the parameters of your physical environment, visible and in visible.

You just have to "know" enough about what is there, because you could have mistakes and missing data if you don't know every parameter.

So I still think this E8 would be incomplete, because we don't fully "know" everything there is to know about the Universe. Which also is impossible, since we can't be omniscient.

Now this is not saying that a Computer model could not predict every possible eventuality.

If you had enough "true" data to input into a computer model, you might be able to "simulate" the Universe. But would it be the same each time?

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Lisi's theory is very young, and still in development...

Right now, I'd assign a low (but not tiny) likelihood to this theory actually becoming the grand unified theory....

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
E8 is beautiful!!!! It could very well be the answer they have long been searching for! It feels as if I can almost gaze into it and receive universal knowledge through its image.

E8

[edit on 2/6/2009 by pjslug]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by pjslug

"It could very well be the answer they have long been searching for!"

It probably isn't.

That's not me saying it either.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by UKWO1Phot
Here's a good video explaining his theories...

VIDEO LINK

Holy Buckets!

I like the guy, he seems someone to keep an eye on for the wonderful manner in which is explains things and for having the nouse to think so deeply... but now I have a hurt in my head...

Damn quantum fizix always does that to me, no matter how it's discussed.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

You saying we can create a pizza out of dark matter?

Serious question.

Well... I make dark matter out of pizza all the time !!

8]

Sorry, thats just wrong... back on topic - carry on !!

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
So will this give us off the grid energy and vehicles that dont use fossil fuels and takes us to light speeds and gives us anti-gravity?

If it does..fantastic!!!

If not....bleh.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 6-2-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
So will this give us off the grid energy and vehicles that dont use fossil fuels and takes us to light speeds and gives us anti-gravity?

If it does..fantastic!!!

If not....bleh.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 6-2-2009 by RFBurns]

The act of thoughtful tinkering can reveal many things. If it weren't for thinkers, we'd have not moved on from banging rocks on nuts for a feed.

It's a good thing that the sentence for heresy has moved on from public execution to mere personal derision.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012

The greatest answers are in the last place you'll ever look for them.

Obviously. Because you stop looking once you find them.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
The most impressive part of this is the inclusion of gravity. You realize what this means?? You can find a way to PRODUCE the necessary particles and create your own gravitational forces. Interesting how there are only 20 particles left...

Amazing how the E8 shape is essentially a "periodic table" of the universe's fundamental particles and construction, allowing you to predict what is coming next and what its properties will be. Just think about how useful the periodic table is, and what this could do, if proven.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
So I read his paper. I like it, however...while everyone loves Occam's Razor and all, idk here. I think what he has done is find a more streamlined organization model, and extrapolated that into a GUT. I have extreme doubts that his predicted mechanisms will pan out quite the way he thinks. Of course, I have my own model Im working on, so I suppose Im a little biased.

In any case, I think his theory will be of great benefit, and I think it is a step in the right direction. The organizational benefits of his model fit my own model perfectly, I might add, and might even make ironing out some details significantly easier. Hopefully this will gain momentum, as it will open doors for theories that are now considered far too radical for consideration. And to think...it came from a surfer. I hate surfers! haha

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I find this stuff so incredibly fascinating.

I really wish I had pushed myself in school and stuck with physics, maths and chem.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join