It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IBM to laid-off: Want a job in India?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

IBM to laid-off: Want a job in India?

money.cnn.com

Big Blue is offering its outgoing workers in the United States and Canada a chance to take an IBM job in India, Nigeria, Russia or other countries.

Only "satisfactory performers" who are "willing to work on local terms and conditions" should pursue the jobs, the document says. IBM would not immediately confirm if it means that the workers would be paid local wages and would be subject to local labor laws.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Now we're sending workers overseas along with the jobs. Is this the latest fashion in the corporate world? Suppose your boss calls you into a meeting room and says to you, "I'm sorry to tell you this but your job is moving to Russia...sooo....would you like to go over there with it?" What would you say? Or is this just a cheap tactic for corporate heads to say, "Hey, we offered to send the person with the job, they didn't want to go...how unreasonable..."

money.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-2-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

This isn't happening. Yes they are making that offer... but no one is taking it. At least none of the 85 IBM'ers who were laid off that I know.

Actually, not one person who is being laid off from IBM is sad about that. IBM suxors.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Yes they are making that offer... but no one is taking it.

So it's a stunt to appease stockholders and reduce disgruntled employees? I kinda know how it feels to be let go from a terrible company, it's scarey but liberating.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I work for IBM in Calgary..
I am contracted to the Health Region.

My job is secure.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by xbranscombex

Yeah, that's what my cousin with 27 years thought before her retirement was yanked away from her....

Don't be so sure... No Job is secure

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Russia is Cold, India is Crowded, and Nigeria is Corrupt!

No thanks! I like my country, Canada!

Go Canada

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
Russia is Cold, India is Crowded, and Nigeria is Corrupt!

No thanks! I like my country, Canada!

Go Canada

I'm not sure anyone says "yes" to this offer fully comprehends the quality of life we have in the U.S and Canada. There's a lot we take for granted that just not available in countries still developing. The more I look at this, the more it looks like a weak attempt to pacify employees before sending them out the door.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Yeah, that is what my cousin with 27 years thought before her retirement was yanked away from her....

Don't be so sure... No Job is secure

Yeah my friend at Honeywell was just told her Dept was being relocated to Mexicali. Therefore, she essentially was laid off like many INTEL employees here. Things are really getting tough and for IBM to say crap like that, I mean who do they think they are kidding.

Then I turn on the TV and I have to sit through some stupid news program about how these poor poor rich bastards are suffering because "stupid tax payers" can't understand that the Bonus's they took out of the bailout was money they were depending on.

In every country where they are doing this bailout idea I keep seeing the same thing. Hearings of that country or the PTB grilling Bankers asking what were they thinking and the bankers invariably say,,

"mistakes were made”.

Mistakes? Mistakes MY BUTT!

They knew damn well they could take that money and that Government does nothing about it. Why would they when it is the same thing our elected officials keep saying but do anyway. They have completely blown 80 Billion of the recovery package and said "mistakes were made" yet no one knows what happened or who to blame. They have been talking about how Americans are suffering but have voted themselves a $9,500 dollar raise and just in time to get it passed before the Presidents freeze on salaries for these same "good for nothing but what they can steal from us", clowns in congress.

"This time we ill be installing more oversight more oversight more oversight. How about WE start doing our OWN oversight and say we have had it with these rich fat cats who piss all over us and VOTE every single one of them OUT of office. People like TED Kennedy! GET OUT RETIRE for Pete’s sake! He is near brain dead walking around with a brain tumor having seizures but does he step down?

NOPE

As for Obama, jeez if I have to hear about how he inherited this problem from the past eight years one more time I am going to throw up.

Ya knew what you were getting when you were running for the office you did not have the experience to qualify for in the first place. You knew when you were taking hundreds of thousands in campaign funds from Fannie and Freddie in exchange for favors to shut down any bill to tighten them up along with your finance manager Franklin Raines and Global Economy Crusher with a crush on young boys Barney Frank.

You wanted to be where the buck stops but that doesn't mean where the money is supposed to end up. It means where the blame should go.

That means whether the congress that holds the purse strings or not can maneuver an 11 billion dollar surplus while Newt Gingrich hits the gavel to the table cutting Government spending; it is BILL Clinton who ends up getting the credit. Whether the Pelosi brags about not passing any more legislation for another 78 Billion for Iraq and they renege, it is Bush who gets the blame but Bush is gone now and you knew about this crap before you were elected Mr. Obama.

All I have seen is another long winded speech about how Americans are suffering AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND they are expecting our help, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAND How Nov 4th the people have spoken AAAAAAAAAAAAAND they asked for change, Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we have to deliver. How about we deliver yet another message brought about by voter rage and THIS time it not be the media who tells us whose vas defrens they swing from or which party we sweep in next because it isn't the party or the rich media moguls like Oprah, who ultimately can make changes to this country and the kind we keep getting this piss poor a result from our elected officials.

It is US!

We can vote every single last incumbent OUT office and we can show the same resolve for getting the vote out as acorn without all the Mickey Mouse voters. We can purge the entire house and senate clean of every one of you Washington insiders talking out both sides of your damn mouths and send a completely new breed of rookies with no lobbyists or good ole boys to tell them how it "really is" or whom they "really work for".

They will not have anyone left there to ask how this is done or that is decided. All they will have is each other like the blind leading the blind but no less effective than we have now where the rich and powerful lead the greedy and corrupt and we are left blind and in the dark.

We don't want to hear this garbage about Obama is mad now he is shifting into campaign mode as if giving that redundant speech from his playbook is going to get the job done.

We do not want to HEAR about accountability Mr. Obama,

We WANT TO SEE IT!

We want to see HEADS ROLL!

WE want to see people GO TO JAIL!

We want to see CHANGE we can believe in, NOT change so incompetent we can't believe it but more than that Mr. Obama,,, WE WANT TO SEE IMPROVEMENT!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND if you and the boys in the house and senate can't do that and you don't have the honesty, guts and integrity to step down thinking you have done nothing wrong like Bush, Barney, and Blago,

Then WE will come back to the polls and do something we have never done before.

We will come UNITED not as an Obama hypnotized Zombie's muttering the mantra "yes we can" yes we can" or some neo con nin com poop saying "stay the course, stay the course".

We will come as a nation of the people who have had ENOUGH! A nation of people who won't vote for our man or woman, Republican or Democrat ut an Nation of people to VOTE AGAINST anyone who IS currently in office as a man or a woman posing as a Republican or a Democrat because it really doesn't matter anymore and oh By the way,,,

Yes We Can and Yes We Will!

If we don't see you clowns getting your act together NOW, you will see us come enmasse, UNITED in purpose and in deed so full of voter outrage it won't matter WHO Fox or CNN says is their sweetheart. We will vote as a Nation by the people and FOR the people with an axe to grind for those who continue to insult our intelligence, finance their flights of fancy by stealing our grand children’s future. You will ALL be gone, ASTA la Vista! Babay! An all new house and senate without the deep and entrenched constituency accepting bribes that are legal as long as they are called "lobby".

No, these rookies would have no bad examples to follow and the only Job Policy manual they will have to find out how this country works and what they are supposed to do, won't be other corrupted congressmen and woman but what they SHOULD be using and using by the book all along.

The United States Consitution.

You might think it won't happen, that we won't fire every single last one of you, but that is what they said about Americans ever voting a Black Person in as President of the United States.

YOU ain't seen NOTHIN yet if you think we are going to allow the Government and the rest of you bums in office, to continue to think,

this is a Nation about you people,

taking from all of us people

to bail out the rich people,

You're dead wrong

[edit on 10-2-2009 by Aermacchi]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aermacchi
Yeah my friend at Honeywell was just told her Dept was being relocated to Mexicali. Therefore, she essentially was laid off like many INTEL employees here.

That's a shame, our labs depend on a lot of Honeywell's equipment so we all hope they're doing well. I recently bought a hygrometer from them for personal use. Very accurate, great value.

Didn't Intel announce they were going to re-invest in America with 7 billion dollars?

LONDON (MarketWatch) -- In the midst of doom and gloom, a technology company offered a sliver of hope Tuesday.

Intel announced plans to spend $7 billion over the next two years on manufacturing facilities in the U.S.
www.marketwatch.com...[2D5093A0-5B10-49C3-932A-03E217B7CCA4]&dist=msr_12

Originally posted by Aermacchi
We want to see HEADS ROLL!

WE want to see people GO TO JAIL!

I don't want to see heads roll. I don't want people to go to jail. I want managers and above to realize the impact they're having to the future of the people who live here. If they get that much, changing their minds about exporting jobs without having a replacement should be easy. How great would it be for a CEO to both make a ton of money AND receive the praises of the country they established in?

[edit on 11-2-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I was speaking to a friend of mine last night - he is a senior recruiter of IT staff in America. He said that the current economic situation was having a major impact on IT consultants from India who were in the US on H1B visas and many of them have been laid off. Instead of returning to India, as they had contracted to do, they were trying to find other companies who would sponsor them in the US.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
I was speaking to a friend of mine last night - he is a senior recruiter of IT staff in America. He said that the current economic situation was having a major impact on IT consultants from India who were in the US on H1B visas and many of them have been laid off. Instead of returning to India, as they had contracted to do, they were trying to find other companies who would sponsor them in the US.

Yeah, one bank I worked for called that 'vectoring', whereas employees that they liked and didn't consider a dime a dozen they'd try to help find employment elsewhere. Although I think the method itself is a great idea, it's not something they'd do for just anyone.

new topics

top topics

join