It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'There definitely is a God': Christians hit back at atheist buses with own adverts

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Originally posted by johnsky
And your quote is as such "If you believe, you will receive WHATEVER you ask for in prayer."

The Challenge.

You pray to your god that I (Johnsky) become a believer in god as depicted by your religion, and that I become that believer by the end of March 2009 (this month).

Sorry, you're not God, He is. He gets to say when you become a believer.

I knew you wouldn't be able to back up your side.

So, if only god gets to decide things, then your claim that "believers receive whatever they ask for in prayer" is a total lie. Your bible is lying to you.

You pray to your god, being told that if you believe in him he will give you WHATEVER you ask for in your prayers (as you quoted) ... but when your prayers aren't answered, you're forced to backtrack and claim he has a "divine plan".

Ask yourself why you have to spend so much time finding excuses for gods inaction. Hokum's razor, simplest answer is : he doesn't exist.

The reason your prayers don't work, is because there's nobody there to receive them.
The only person who can address your prayers is you.
Ask man for help, and he might lend a hand.
Ask god for help, and he will reply the same way nothing usually does.

[Aside]
Addressing the comment you gave on my profile.

Yeah, that sounds like a funny book.

Who writes it?

[edit on 4-3-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   

So, if only god gets to decide things, then your claim that "believers receive whatever they ask for in prayer" is a total lie. Your bible is lying to you.

It does not matter how illogical, bizarre and confusing any aspect of ANY belief is...

Price for dropping it is way too high

But some of us know that freedom of thought is beyond petty human desire to survive death

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Out of all the problems in the world, this is the most important! Arguments over religion always end in one clear winner. Every time a debate such as this one breaks out, all those on the loosing side convert over to the wining side. This topic is the pinnacle of man kinds technological and spiritual advancements. These always change the minds of people on the internet and should always be brought up about every two weeks. These arguments always unify people and make them understand, come to peace with each other. They never hide what is really going on in the world. It is not an immature ploy to take your minds off of other world events such as our current border issue or war in the middle east. Also cats.

[edit on 4-3-2009 by OKCBtard]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by OKCBtard

lol, that cracked me up.
I like you man, good sense of humor.

Nah, I don't argue against religion because I expect them to drop it, I do it because I'm sadistic... I love it when people get frustrated.

Mostly because I love debates... and the religious debate has no end to it... it's always there for me when I need a pick-me-up.

[edit on 4-3-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by OKCBtard
These arguments always unify people and make them understand, come to peace with each other.

You make the mistake of assuming some people are able to understand if you just speak more politely, or phrase things differently.

You also make the mistake in assuming that all people would be willing to come to peace with each other.

You forget that many of them, written in their religious books which they consider holy, are the promotion of many things, but usually one of them isn't comprehension or even peace with people of different faiths or no faith at all.

I'm not going to argue that all religious people (or even all religious) are extremists, but I doubt there is any doubt in anyone's* mind that the religious mindset is dangerous.

* anyone in this context is meant to be understood as a rational thinking person, hopefully not infected by religious memes.

[edit on 4-3-2009 by converge]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by converge

He was being sarcastic.

... there really needs to be a sarcastic emoticon.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I knew you wouldn't be able to back up your side.

I've 'backed up my side' in full.

Why would I ask God to override His will? To 'force you' to become a believer? There is no love in that, neither for Him nor you.

You pray to your god, being told that if you believe in him he will give you WHATEVER you ask for in your prayers (as you quoted) ... but when your prayers aren't answered, you're forced to backtrack and claim he has a "divine plan".

As mentioned before, this is the whole of the book and He has given me ALL that my heart has desired. It's actually pretty stunning to look back at that saying, "I asked for this and got it, I asked for that and got it, I asked for this and got it..." not meaning that God is a magical wishing well, but rather the things I'd asked for were indeed permissible and good to Him as well. How cool is that?

The reason your prayers don't work, is because there's nobody there to receive them.

They've always worked, as mentioned before. Be ready for 'incoming', keep your eyes and ears open and will be glad to hear when you've been contacted or should you wish to seek out contact for yourself.

Yeah, that sounds like a funny book.

Daniel H Wilson, he works with robotics at Carnegie Mellon as I understand it.

[edit on 4-3-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

He was being sarcastic.

I know, but I took his sarcasm in a way to indicate that our discussion is futile and the things we said won't make matters any better, on the contrary.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join