It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'There definitely is a God': Christians hit back at atheist buses with own adverts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

'There definitely is a God': Christians hit back at atheist buses with own adverts

www.dailymail.co.uk

Christian groups are launching their own advertisements to run across the side of London buses following an atheist campaign.
Now the Christian party, the Trinitarian Bible Society and the Russian Orthodox Church have paid for their own pro-God adverts that will run on 175 buses across central and east London and the West End for two weeks from Monday.
The advert for the Christian Party includes the slogan: 'There definitely is a God. So join the Christian Party and enjoy your life.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Aren't signs that say 'there definitely is a god' just misleading and very presumptuous?

At least the humanist party had the decency to include the word 'probably'
in their slogan.

How do these christians know for sure since faith is just opinion based on speculation,conjecture,heresay,rumour and guesswork?

Shouldn't they be spending money elsewhere instead of having the audacity to boldy proseltyse about their opinions in a factual context?

I think they should be made to either prove it or remove it.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
But faith have no "probably" into it. If person believes that there is God then it is not questionable, for him of course. So there is the same logic to say to others that there is a God and in saying to others that there is probably no God. Both have zero logic.
Did you see an add campaign saying that there probably is no Santa Claus? Or probably no tooth fairy? God is not comparable to Santa Claus or fairies but the reason is that it is THE faith question.
So the purpose of placing ads that there is probably no God was only to hurt believers. If one believes in God add will not change a thing
And if one does not - it will also not change anything.
And logic by people who believe in God to put ads that there is a God is also non-existent , for the same reason.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

Imagine if all the religious cults/sects started advertising their
opinions - the advertising world would be flooded with a veritable pantheon of gods and goddess advertisements ...all boldy claiming that their particular deity 'definitely' exists and everybody else has it wrong or is delusional.

It just goes to show how ridiculous and insecure it all realy is.

Also,doesn't this 'there definitely is a god' slogan contravene advertising standards -isn't it blatant misrepresentation?

As I said before I think they should prove it or remove it.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
The atheist ads on the buses were a response to the Christian ads on the very same buses.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
But faith have no "probably" into it. If person believes that there is God then it is not questionable, for him of course. So there is the same logic to say to others that there is a God and in saying to others that there is probably no God. Both have zero logic.

I completely disagree! They don't have both "zero logic"...

The statement that "there is probably no God" is a deductive one, based on the unlikelihood of the existence of the God(s) most religions claim to exist, and the lack of evidence and interaction of said God in our Universe. It is a logical statement.

Saying that there is a God, on the other hand, is in fact an illogical one. There is no physical evidence of God, nor do we see his interference in our world. For one to believe in such a God's existence, and his interactions, it requires faith.

Faith is the belief in things not seen, not proven. Faith is by definition an illogical thing.

And as karl12 pointed out, saying that "there is definitely a God" is in fact very presumptuous. But hey, that doesn't surprise me at all, coming from people who think the creator of the Universe hears their prayers.

So the purpose of placing ads that there is probably no God was only to hurt believers.

This alone proves that religious people such as yourself, are bothered by what people believe, especially if it's something contradictory to your own beliefs.

Why would someone else's beliefs hurt you? If someone had put an ad saying "Krispy Kreme doughnuts are probably the best doughnuts" would have that hurt you? No, and most likely you would even recognize it as someone's opinion and deduction. But since this is about religion and God, oh no! We can't have that!

Get over yourself. Your beliefs are not sacred, nor are they above discussion.

If one believes in God add will not change a thing
And if one does not - it will also not change anything.

Then what does it matter to you?! Why would you be hurt by it? That doesn't make any sense.

Or maybe you're making all this noise because it bothers you that some people think your beliefs are childish, and you feel attacked just by having people state the contrary of what you believe.

[edit on 5-2-2009 by converge]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
As being a former Catholic, former Atheist, and now someone who thinks there is a God but he doesn't interfere with us or else that total negates free will, find these battle of bus signs at the least silly and at the most ineffective. For one, who is really going to be swayed in their beliefs one way or the other by a bus sign.

I can just see someone. He is sitting there having afternoon tea and see the bus sign say "There probably isn't a God."

"Wow," he says,"I feel so relived that debate is over."

Then a week goes by and he is eating fish and chips and he sees "There definitely is a God."

Now he think, "Well this one said there definitely is a God, and perhaps coincidence that I am fish and chips like Jesus's fishes and loaves. This means something. Lord I believe again."

I just don't see that playing out. Let them put up there silly signs they are just waisting money, i guess there are worse ways to waist it.

[edit on 2/5/2009 by bigvig316]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I agree with converge completely. Saying that there is definelty a god is just false advertising. I dont like the way they put it.

[edit on 5-2-2009 by houdanny]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Couple of things to point out.

One, this is a Christian organization who purchased the ad space. Fine, whatever. There are alot of religions in the world who believe in some type of deity, God, Allah, whatever name you want to use. My question to you on this matter is, since you obviously dont believe in God (which is your right, I wont attack anyone for their religious beliefs) would you be offended if say, the muslims ran an ad that stated, There is definately Allah, or if this ad was paid for by Hindus? Just looking to see where you are coming from.

Next, its nearly Valentines day in the US. There are ads everywhere claiming, love is in the air, buy the love of your life xyz, spend time with the one you love, etc...

Must all of these ads be pulled as well on your prove it or remove it disclaimer? Obviously, I cant see love, you cant prove to me it really exists. Most people do, but one could debate the topic it doesnt exist, therefore, does this fall under the same rule?

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Yep - "Definitely a God" implies they have conclusive proof.

The only proof that exists is that in their hearts and minds there is a God - but nowhere else we can locate.

[edit on 2/5/2009 by MyXlog]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
"Join the Christian Party" strikes me as odd wording... I am sure they mean "party" in the holy-knockoff-of-the-hedonistic-gathering sense, but it makes me thing of, "Join the Communist Party" or something.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
When have Christians not pushed their agenda?

What's important is the Atheists now have the same rights.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Kind of a step backwards for them IMO... no difference between someone forcing me to beleive there is a god and that there isn;t.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

Originally posted by Annee

Kind of a step backwards for them IMO... no difference between someone forcing me to beleive there is a god and that there isn;t.

I'm not 100% sure what you are saying.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Traditionally I had more respect for atheists because they did not push their view on people--the individual may have but there was far less of an organized push to "convert" as there is in christianity.

However things like this make me think that atheism is, in fact, becoming its own religion, with the same trappings a Christianity, just comletely reversed.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Just saying there is a God doesn't imply that there is proof of one.

How do you know that God isn't an alien, or, perhaps, a being just like us?

I know to Christians or religious people that might be blasphamy but think about it.

There is not definitely a God.

The burden of proof falls on them if they say that. They can't just refer back to human events to prove that there somehow is a God.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Traditionally I had more respect for atheists because they did not push their view on people--the individual may have but there was far less of an organized push to "convert" as there is in christianity.

However things like this make me think that atheism is, in fact, becoming its own religion, with the same trappings a Christianity, just comletely reversed.

OK - I can understand that. But I see the point as Equal Rights. Ever heard of the vocal minority?

A minority is forced to make their voice heard - if they want equal rights.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I disagree with your characterization of the atheism. It most certainly can't be compared with a religion. Religions usually involve dogmas, symbols, rituals; there's none of that in atheism.

I'm not sure if a comparison could even be made. Atheism is more of a position than a set of beliefs.

Also, I don't see the ad as 'pushing' anything. Neither ads actually push anything, for that matter, in my opinion. The religious one does seem to be in response to the atheist one, and in that respect, it looks childish.

Moreover, the atheist one seems to be just trying to convey a positive message ("stop worrying and enjoy your life"). I don't see where it 'pushes' anything.

Even though the religious one has a similar message, I think it comes across as ironic (and childish) if you think about it, because if there is definitely a God, especially one like the Christian organizations that paid for the ad believe in, then we should all worry because we're constantly sinning and there's a great possibility we'd end up burning in hell for eternity according to them.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by converge

The ad is making the assumption that there is a God.

It's spreading religion... if something happened like this here in the USA it would never fly.

I guess they're striking back but it's bad I don't want to see 21st century religious wars.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
It's spreading religion... if something happened like this here in the USA it would never fly.

You mean like the "so help me God" at the end of the Oath of Office that Presidents like to say even though it's not part of the oath?

I guess they're striking back but it's bad I don't want to see 21st century religious wars.

I would say it's too late for that - we've been going through progressive religious wars. One only has to think about what religious organizations, institutions and people, have done to derail Evolution being taught in schools, stem cell research, and science in general.

edit: Oh, and social equality. (e.g. Prop 8 etc)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join