It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State may compensate juveniles sentenced by judges in Luzerne

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

State may compensate juveniles sentenced by judges in Luzerne

www.post-gazette.com

HARRISBURG -- State lawmakers are seeking ways to compensate children sent to detention centers by a pair of Luzerne County judges charged with taking kickbacks for sending juvenile defendants to facilities in Luzerne and Butler counties.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Absolutely unreal...

Judges taking kick-backs for sending folks to certain facilities owned by a rich businessman.

I don't know what's more apalling, the fact that these criminals were serving as judges and "handing down justice", or the fact that one is STILL EMPLOYED by the court, and making a hundred and sixty grand!

Just when I think I've seen and heard it all...

Judge Mark A. Ciavarella and former Senior Judge Michael T. Conahan are accused of taking $2.6 million for sending children to two facilities owned by Pittsburgh businessman Greg Zappala.

www.post-gazette.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
No kind of compensation is ever going to be enough for what some of these kids have had to endure. Although I am pleased that the State is looking for ways to help these victims, I really question their sincerity. IMO, it is just a way to make this news go away ASAP.

I also wonder why a judge or even the governor don't sign some paper allowing these victims to be free until their case has been reviewed.

I have a feeling that their are many more judges out there just like theses. I hope the lights shine on them soon as well.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Yes, I would not be surprised to find out that this type of stuff happens on a regular basis as well. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Makes you wonder how many of these types of cases happen that we never find out about...

Just what we need, corrupt judges with people's lives resting in their hands.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
It is a shame of the legal system to have people like this Judging and sentencing kids to harsh terms for minor crimes. It is amazing how corruption can even infiltrate juvenile court and effect kids who are still going through like and may have made a mistake of pushing some one or getting into a fight, but he didn't deserve 90 days. You don't even get that as an adult. I hope these two judges get what is coming to them and the those who had harsh or improper punishments get reparations.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
surely this is sad and outrageous

but,,,,,this goes on everyday doesn't it

you get a ticket,,, or maybe a possession charge,,,,go to court,, plea it out,,,and instead of jail or whatever they hike up some hefty fines and your free to go

but in this case the townships are getting the kickbacks

a little different but still extortion no less

top topics

join