It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home Invasion and You

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
According to what I've been reading, home invasions seem to be on the rise across the country.

Unlike burglary, home invasions are often violent affairs with multiple crimes being committed such as assault, rape, robbery, and sometimes even murder. These people are desperate, and will not think twice about harming you or your family to get what they want.

They seldom work alone, and usually gain entry to your home by breaking a door down or convincing you to to open the door for them. Once it's open, they'll force themselves into your home, and seek to quickly disable all the residents. Common methods employed include ropes, duct tape, handcuffs, and firearms. Garages are also a common entry point for home invaders, so keep those door closed and locked.

Once they have you subdued the real nightmare will probably begin. Not only will they rob you, but incidents of torture, rape, and murder are not that uncommon. I read one article that said it wasn't unusual for the intruders to stay for several hours in the home abusing the occupants, eating their food, watching their TV, or taking naps.

I imagine right about now you're thinking "that's terrible, but what can I do to prevent myself from becoming a victim?" Well, the answer is probably a lot simpler than you think. It all begins with being security conscious. Be observant of strange people that seem to be following you around. Many targets of home invasions are stalked prior to actually being victimized. They make assume you have money if you wear a lot of expensive jewelry, drive a nice car, or have a nice home. The elderly are prime targets for these individuals.

NEVER open your door to someone you don't know regardless of the hour. Ask who they are and what their business is at your home. If their answers don't sit well with you, call the police or a close neighbor.

Hardening your Home

• Install solid core doors with steel casing at all entry points. A lock is only as good as the door and casing it's installed in.
  • Buy good quality deadbolt locks for all doors
  • install screens or storm windows
  • Install a video intercom so you can see who your caller is before answering the door
  • Install outside lighting that has motion detectors that will illuminate your yard
  • Be sure to lock all your doors ans windows at all times
  • Choose a room to be the safe room for you and your family. Make sure it has a cordless phone in it, that it has a solid core door and steel frame , a deadbolt lock, and some means of defending yourself should the door be breached.
  • Install a security system that has an audible siren

These are just a few suggestions to help keep you and your family safe, but feel free to add to them. You can never have too much information. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to reading all your posts.

[edit on 5-2-2009 by LLoyd45]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Excellent thread LLoyd. Home invasions are definitely on the rise, obviously so in my area, and it's a growing concern with my family. My wife in particular has never been very trusting of society at large, and with one or more home invasions in our area reported almost on a weekly basis, it's all we can do to keep paranoia from infringing on our right to live a satisfying existence.

During the course of the last couple of years, home invasion has risen to the top of our list of security related concerns. As your post indicated, we've recently replaced all of our doors with solid core, steel encased fire doors, and added multiple dead bolts to each.

We've created a pseudo-panic room in the basement, which offers an overkill level of defense against would-be intruders. Our goal has been to ensure that in the event of a home invasion, we are capable of placing ourselves in a position to make use of Colorado's "Make My Day" law. Knowledge of this law by home invaders prompts "shock and awe" style invasions meant to take occupants by surprise, as the offenders know well to fear for their own lives while occupying homes uninvited. The number 1 priority in defending against a home invasion is to make it as difficult as possible for the invaders to gain entry to the home, giving you and your family adequate time to assess and prepare for the situation.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

Thanks Unit541. It sounds like you and your family are definitely on the road to being safe from these type of invasions. I can't think of anything more terrifying than my family being at the mercy of animals like these.

I hope everyone will do as you have, and prepare for this type of scenario just as they would for any other natural disaster. What could possibly be more important than the safety of one's family and home?

[edit on 5-2-2009 by LLoyd45]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Exactly. I'm as paranoid of our government as the next guy, but a home invasion, to me, is the most immediate, real threat that my family faces. There was a home invasion a year or so ago less than a mile from my home, during which an entire family of four, including a 6 month old baby was murdered.

The invaders gained entry by posing as college kids selling magazine subscriptions to help pay for school (most of us have dealt with these visitors before). Since this incident, my neighborhood has undergone a wonderful transformation however. We've all banded together to look out for people who don't belong, and we come out in force when someone we don't know is in the 'hood. Every solicitor that comes through, realizes quite quickly that they're being watched by distrusting eyes. We make it a point to make outsiders feel, well, like outsiders. We don't want anyone but ourselves to feel safe in our neighborhood.

Get to know your neighbors, watch each others backs. Watchful neighbors who get involved and take action are going to help you more than the latest security system ever could.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Every solicitor that comes through, realizes quite quickly that they're being watched by distrusting eyes.

ROTFLMBO, Over in the UK a Soliciter is a Lawyer......... And I still dont trust em

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
What a great, useful, post! I hardened my home several years back because my chosen career was a restaurant/ bar manager. This resulted in my working very odd hours, and my wife and newborn son being home alone many evenings. I did quite a bit of research, as well as contacted a couple of friends who happen to be police investigators.

I'll try to add a few things that are quite simple, rather inexpensive, and useful, but first, we must keep in mind that every home is different, as are the assumed reactions of those within. Firearms type of defense can be another, later topic.

The two greatest resources that we all have control over prior to an invasion, is time and deterence. In many ways, the stgeps are the same to achieve both. A thug is looking for an easy meal, not a "Mission Impossible" type invasion.

A while back, I was replacing the doorfrom my attaqched garage to my home, so I did anexperiment. I wanted to see how long it would take for a determined someone to get from inside my garage to my bedroom. I was stunned by what I discovered.

Seven seconds. That's what it took for me to kick in my door, scramble up my steps and reach my bedroom.

Let's start there. Yes, it it true that a lock is only as good as the door it's locking. That locked door is only as good as the way it's attached to the house. Take a look at the screws that connect your hinges to the door frame. These should be long enough to go through the frame, and into the second 2x4 of the frame of your home. Most are not.
Simply replacing these screws costs a couple of bucks, takes an hour or two, and is probably the single most effective step that I will mention.

Home security needs to be looked at in layers. The best door will not stop someone for long. I'm not including a 6in. thick, titanium, etc. door. Let's be realistic!

In my case, lighting is my first line of deterence. I have nice, ornamental sconces around my house, but also have security flood lights. The flood lights are somewhat ornamental, but are ir/motion sensitive. I seem to remember these cost between $15-$20. They claim to be detect out to 100 ft. but this I have found the distance to be less. No matter, my driveway is 80ft. long. Not only will these lights (hopefully) deter, but they are a great visual warning that something is moving. I can't tell you the number of nights I've noticed these kick on, looked out the blinds, and busted rabbits and squirrels approaching. The extra half minute or more that this warning could give could save your life.

I have 2 entry doors in my backyard, and I have installed a 4 ft. high picket fence. The latch for entry is nothing special, but it is placed in an odd spot. It doesn't hinder us coming or going, but someone unfamilar with the layout would have to look for a bit. Another few seconds in my favor.

On top of that, my wife and I walk our 160 lb. Akita daily, and I have NRA stickers in the windows of my vehicles. I'd like to think that will also cause some thugs to choose another victim.

I have to get back to work right now, but I'll post again later.

Again, great thread, S&F, as I feel this is so important. The time to harden isn't as someone is kicking your door in!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

Nobody wants to mess with dogs, period. Especially big ones, no matter how "teddy bear" they may actually be, big dogs spell big trouble for would be home invaders. Your Akita is probably your best home defense item.

I neglected to mention earlier, but I feel the same way about my Malamutes. At 135 lbs, they're not horses, but big enough to look you in the eye when they stand up. Not to mention my windows vibrate when they growl. Visitors not familiar with them find them extremely intimidating. lol, I get a call from the power company every month, asking me to phone in my own meter reading because a brave meter reader discovered my dogs are impervious to their little shock sticks, and don't like strangers messing with my gate. Not to mention, to most non-dog people, my Malamutes look like genetically enlarged wolves from their childhood nightmares.

Their job, and they're good at it, is to alert me to someone outside the house, before they get anywhere near the house.

[edit on 2/5/2009 by Unit541]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
If you are in a position to do so geese make excellent alarms. Something wicked their way comes and everyone will soon know about it.

I'm not poo-pooing this whole invasion lark (after-all we peddle doomsday scenarios more than most)...

but...

Is it me or has the MSM decided that

we got bored with terrorists;
they couldn't sell anthropogenic climate change during a cold spell:
they can sell the depression as a potential crime-wave of tsunami proportions?

There's always some type of fear to sell...

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I can agree with you guys about having a dog to ward off would be home invaders. I moved to my current residence five years ago. It is a little unsettling moving to a new city (especially a high crime city). You feel lost and alone the first couple of months. About the sixth month living here, I am awoken by my dog who is barking like someone is in my bedroom (he sleeps in between me and the wife). First I grab my pistol out of the case in the nitestand all without turning on a light and then headed for the front door. To my surprise someone is there trying to pick the lock. As soon as the person see's me raising my pistol, he's gone. He was on foot and disappeared into the night.

The point of my story is to be well rehearsed for these situations. I knew exactly where my pistol was and how to get to it as quickly as possible in pitch black dark.

I also have a four month old now and she sleeps in a room across the house. I have a plan for what to do to protect her first if/when the situation arises again.

It took us months to get a good night sleep again. Every little noise I would here in the house would make my heart race and the lack of sleep can really take a toll on a person. And this stems from really a non-incedent. I could'nt imagine life after being a victim of a more violent intrusion.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

I could not agree more! As a fellow Coloradian (sp) I embellish the practicality of the "Make my day law". We have had several of these similar home invasion tactics locally. Only the good lord will have judgment on my soul should I ever have to "exercise my right" in protecting my family and home....

Prepared for anything!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I've had my home robbed 3 times in my life and have learned some valuable lessons...

1: A break-in is far more likely to occur in the afternoon when kids are at school and adults out at work

2: Your home and your movements will have been 'cased' a short time prior to the invasion. Fake telemarketing calls are one way that a thief can guage whether your home is a safe daytime break-in bet

3: If your home is robbed, you are likely to be watched for signs that the gear taken has been replaced by the insurance company, so making a second hit a possibility

4: Chances are that the invasion isn't totally random and that there will be a link between you and the burglars

(in 2 of my 3 instances, they were carried out by someone I knew...one was by a student house flatmate, and the other by an ex-girlfriend and her meth-head accomplice)

and finally for those in the UK...I was informed on good authority by a friendly constable that if you take on an invader and win, place them at the bottom of the stairs before you dial 999 and just state that the struggle took place on the stairs, and they slipped and fell in the heat of the fight

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I'm soooo glad I don't live in the U.S.....no offence.

All that security you guys talk about and at the end of the day it's SOOO easy to break into just about ANY home if you think about it.

Off with a few roof tiles, lever some timber battens, one kick on the insulation/plasterboard and they're in!

Unless you clad your roofspace with something inpenetrable it's an easy option for someone who is determined and most homes have a "soft spot".

Best thing is to stop them before they get the chance. Vigilance and safety in numbers. Don't be afraid to report strangers and NEVER let anyone into your home that you don't know.

Where I live I can go shopping and not even close or lock the door.

Rural France is great.

Cheers...nerb.......be safe.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
I'm soooo glad I don't live in the U.S.....no offence.

All that security you guys talk about and at the end of the day it's SOOO easy to break into just about ANY home if you think about it.

Where I live I can go shopping and not even close or lock the door.

Rural France is great.

Cheers...nerb.......be safe.

I share your sentiments, I love the US and its people but crime esp gun crime is alarming, in the UK last year we lost about 70 people to gun crime and over a 100 to knife crime, mainly in London and Birmingham and all nearly involving one particular section of society. But the US which has a population 5.5 times the UK's is seeing over 30,000 of its people killed each year.

I like France, but its just as tranquil up here on rural NE England, and we dont have thousands of people burning cars in Paris and Marseilles eveery few weeks

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

The embedded video doesn't work, but if you click on the youtube link and watch that video... well all I can say is that it's more frightening than anything you've seen in a movie.

It was real.

This is why I believe everyone should have a serious means of self-defense in their homes, especially women.

If that video doesn't make you want to go out and buy a gun, then nothing will.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

I think the bulk of crime is a system of a corrupt government, selective enforcement of laws, lack of job opportunities, poverty, and desperation.

It's always funny that neighborhoods that have enough for the people to provide solid livings for themselves have very little crime.

Perhaps the two are related? Or maybe that's just silly [insert favorite scapegoat label here] talk.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I live in Ohio, and in Columbus there have been a dramatic rise in home invasions of late. We combat this effect by going out and firing a shot or two every week or so, all of our neighbors know we carry guns everywhere. We have a sign on the front door that says, "We don't call 9:11" with a fist holding a large pistol. I can get hold of my gun, get up and into a firing position in a matter of seconds from bed, and I sleep light from military training and semi truck driving. Let them come, here in Ohio we have a Castle Defense Law.

Governor Strickland signs SB184, Ohio's Castle Doctrine Law
www.buckeyefirearms.org...

Related:/auesld

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Deadbolts and steel doors are only as good as their installation.

Replace standard hinge screws with at least one 3 inch screw per hinge. 3 inches will get you through the jamb and into the studs.

Reinforce the strike plates on the jamb again with 3 inch screws. You can take this step a bit further by removing your door casing on the strike side and screw a thin piece of steel or aluminum flat bar stock (avail. at any home center) to the stud/jamb to beef up the strike plate area. You may have to chisel a small amount of material on the back of the casing. But, once you do this, you will never know it is there.

Sliding glass doors are easy access points as well. In addition to adding the classic broom handle or charlie bar, consider adding a foot activated floor bolt to the door and an additional bolt to the top of the door. (The Door Guardian is perfect for this)

I use all 3 methods in addition to the factory installed door latch.

Best of all, be watchful and get to know your neighbors. In my grandparents day, everyone sat on the front porch after eating supper and everyone knew each other. Home invasions were unthinkable back in those days. It is ok to be a slightly nosy neighbor especially during the day when many home related crimes take place.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
You guys are making it way more difficult than it needs to be.

Just put a sign up on the front door that reads: "Gun Free Zone"

It's worked to keep schools and businesses safe all over the country.

Oh, wait.....

Never mind. That's a stupid idea.

What you need is a sign that reads: "Invasion-free home."

Yeah, that's the ticket.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Our home sits on 3 acres of land...most of it wooded. We live a few miles outside of the city limits but it's not exactly a rural area. Our home is approximately 200 feet back from the main road so it's not so obvious from the street.

My wife and I were discussing this exact situation just days ago and we actually walked the house and yard to determine the best ways to defend the place (we have 3 children as well). She and I even walked through a few scenarious as to how things might go down and what steps we need to take to react to a particular situation. It doesn't hurt to be prepared.

I agree with putting up a sign or warning of some sort. You can scoff at it but it's simple to do and it certainly won't hurt.

Just my opinion

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by griffinrl

Signs are only effective if the thugs can read and if they give two snips about the warning. Beef up your perimeter and any possible entry points into your home. The secluded nature of your home is perfect for someone who needs some extra time to gain access. Slow them down as much as possible and they will move on.

Put a radio on a timer and leave the volume turned up. Set random timers for your lights etc. If you have a basement, consider glass block windows.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join