It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama warns of need for stimulus bill right away

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Obama warns of need for stimulus bill right away

news.yahoo.com

President Barack Obama warned on Thursday that failure to act on an economic recovery package could plunge the nation into a long-lasting recession that might prove irreversible, a fresh call to a recalcitrant Congress to move quickly.
"This recession might linger for years. Our economy will lose 5 million more jobs. Unemployment will approach double digits. Our nation will sink deeper into a crisis that, at some point, we may not be able to reverse," Obama wrote in the newspaper piece titled, "The Action Americans Need."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Obama is now resorting to striking fear into the people to get his pork filled stimulus package passed. No time to think pass it now or we are all doomed.

This sounds very familiar. Wasn't the $700 Billion bailout supposed to save us from certain doom? That worked out really well.

So much a change we can believe in. More of the same BS from another empty suit in Washington. What happend to putting partisan politics aside and working together? Not a single republican voted to pass this bill and all Obama has to say is too bad "I won". Hang on people, the next 4 years will at least be interesting.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/5/2009 by Erasurehead]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Man, if he thinks this poorly written, pork laden bill is going to be our salvation, he is quite deluded. I am really getting sick of these fear mongering tactics. Whatever happened to the man who inspired so many with hope? I think the average Joe is smart enough to see what bull this is. All we have to do look at how much better off we are because of the bank bailout.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
the truth is that nothing can be done. this year will be the worst year for the economy in the history of the world...

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Obama using Bush tactics again.

Go to hell Obama with your pork stimulus.

And here in Canada it's even more worse. Harper just gave 125 billions more to the banks, add to that the 75 billions of october/november.

200 billions /1.4 trillion GDP : 14.2% of GDP in bailout
700 billions + 825 billions / 14.3 GDP : 10.6% of GDP in bailout

We're being ROBBED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
In a few weeks it has gone from "Yes we can" to "No we can't, unless we scare the crap out you and spend your children's future"

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
My God... he sounds like a crack addict begging for another piece of rock to smoke..."come on man for real...I just need one more or I just dont know what might happen."

One...we are already in a recession and headed for a depression. Two...we are already well into double digit unemployment numbers if you actually bother to count ALL of the people who are unemployed and not just the ones applying for benefits.

I was reading on Yahoo news that the new stimulus plan will give $15,000 tax credits to new home buyers...and get this...will add an average of $20 per paycheck for the average American worker!!

Woohoo!!! Now I can afford to buy that twelve pack of beer that I have been itching to get for so long now.

This stimulus is a joke...it is the Obama administration's way of holding the American people up by our ankles and shaking all of the remaining change from our nearly empty pockets.

Seriously....does anyone think this country should be wasting over $250,000,000 on buying furniture for the new Homeland Security headquarters? This thing is full to the rim with pork and kickbacks, yet will benefit the average American very little.

One Republican Senator yesterday called this stimulus plan the WORST and most irresponsible piece of legislation to ever be introduced in the entire history of the United States.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

What a load of crap. This bill will do more harm than good and he knows it. All he's trying to do is get this thing rammed through Congress before more people start paying attention and see it for what it is. He only has one tactic left to salvage this disaster, which, of course, is fear-mongering. If your pork-laden piece of garbage won't pass on its own merits, you can always try scaring the crap out of people.

Nice work, Obama. That's change you can believe in.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Problem is is that the News is reporting that the people are FOR this bill. I personally have not talked to anyone who is.

It is fear mongering to get their way.

Push it through before the truth gets out!! If it doesn't go through quickly, the public might actually catch on that it sucks

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
"This recession might linger for years. Our economy will lose 5 million more jobs. Unemployment will approach double digits. Our nation will sink deeper into a crisis that, at some point, we may not be able to reverse

He left out this part.. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...The dead rising from the grave!
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Perhaps this was the"change" he spoke about in his election,what he failed to tell anyone was that all you'll be left with is change,more towards copper,geeze what else did people expect,typical Dem,take care of all your special interest buddys

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Quite frankly I'm saddened by this. He is resorting to the same tactics that were employed by the Bush administration. It's the same sh..different day. Unbelievable. I have defended this man against all of the slanderous BS that was thrown at him all along. Now he resorts to a different form of 'terror'. It seems that this is the going scheme in Washington. Try to scare everyone into submission. BS.

This bill is so pathetic that the fact he is so ardently behind it makes me truly regret that he was elected. The Bush administration did more than damage this nation and its image in the world. It gave us this man who is beginning to look like the puppet that everyone said he would be.

I'm plain and simply pissed off about this. I gave this man my faith that he at least deserved a chance. So far in the first few weeks he has fallen down quite a few pegs in my book.

I just want what is best for this country. Since Ron Paul didn't get elected, well, I just wanted someone to get in there and make a true difference. I'm sorely disappointed so far.

If this recession is so severe that we may never recover (very strong words since the only other option then would be for the country to be broken up and reformed into other countries). Maybe he is getting threats from the true power of this country. The money.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I'd love to see McCain's bill.

-

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I as well have stood by him. But, the stuff they are trying to spend money on, I just don't see how this will stimulate the economy.

There’s also language requiring the Transportation Security Administration to buy 100,000 uniforms from U.S. apparel makers.

Why is that in there?

Then:

There is another $62 million for military projects in Guam.

Then:

There’s $198 million to compensate Filipino World War II veterans for their service. Most don’t live in the United States.

I don't see how those will help Joe down the street get a job or boost lending. It seems those are more targeted to pleasing a few select people.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I thought Bush had already left the White House.

I could have sworn that I had heard these words before.

BTW, if the economy loses 5 million jobs, Does that mean Obama will have to create 10 million new jobs in order to fulfill his 5million new jobs pledge?

Stimulus bill is a joke. What more, many people are receiving a stimulus check right now. It is called their IRS refund check.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
What is in the Senate now is not a stimulus bill.

It is a spending bill.

I don't see how half of what is in the current "stimulus package" will help anyone......except the Democrats who have to pay back certain groups and donors in order to keep their campaing funds fat.

top topics

join