It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pan Fires

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Not sure if this would go here, Mod's?

Just sharing my story which happened the whole of 15 minutes ago.

basically, my brother and dad, being the numpties they are, never clean the grill pan out if they do bacon or fatty foods. So, me wanting a fish finger sandwhich for lunch thought i'd use the grill.

5 minutes into cooking, went back to check on them and the pan was on fire. What don't you do when it's fire and oil?! use water. That's the only bloody thing closest to me to even put it out.
So, threw water on it, it got bigger (the whole pan on fire now) but after a few seconds it went out

Never been so frickin scared in all my life, and for a split second I could see my mum hating me for setting the house on fire. Stupidly, I doubt that'd happen, but it stinks downstairs now.

So, have pan fires happened to anyone else? Did you managed to put it out? Unfortunately, I didn't have a lid big enough to cover the pan, therefore I would have starved it from it's oxygen to carry on burning, etc... If it has happened to you, may I ask, what went through your mind?

I realise it's not a big deal now, because I'm alive, well, and the house most certainly didn't burn down!!! However for a split second I thought I was going to die. (I know, I know!)

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I've had a bad pan fire years ago, to the point that it burnt a big scorch mark up the wall and charred the shelf above the stove. It scared the heck out of me at the time, and it sure made a mess.

I grabbed a tea cloth that you dry dishes with and a couple large oven mitts and stuffed them in the pan and then tossed the pan in the sink. It worked to put out the fire, but what a mess and stink.:shk:

Now my kitchen has a fire extinguisher about 6-7 feet from the stove. If I'm frying something I keep an appropriate lid nearby, and a large box of baking soda in the cupboard that is not to be used for cooking.

The best way to prevent a kitchen fire though, is to not leave the room while you're cooking...

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

and I'm one who thinks, "I'll just pop into the other room while it's cooking"

First, I'm not going to be using the grill again for a while... and secondly, I might just convince the parents to get a fire extinguisher, and thirdly... no, I wont leave the kitchen while something is cooking from now on - even if I am roasting a chicken!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
This fire extinguisher cost about $12.00 at a Canadian Tire store.
It's on the wall in the hallway that enters the kitchen.

I have a manual switch on a smoke detector near the kitchen, but I also have regular smoke detectors in most rooms. I can shut it off when I'm frying foods, but all the other ones in the place stay active.

A few items that are cheap and you should have in the kitchen anyway.
Some large lids to cover pans, large enough for your biggest skillet.
Timers that you can set and take with you if you leave the room.
Thermometers to gauge the temperature of what you're cooking.
A deep fat fry thermometer and one for candy are a must.
The orange thing is the extinguisher for the kitchen back door.

It may sound like overkill, but I also have heat detectors, a pull station in the kitchen to set off an alarm, and even an outdoor alarm if there is smoke outside on the balcony.

And yes, I may be a bit paranoid, but fire is a serious thing that kills so many people and destroys a great deal of property. It can change your entire life within a few seconds.

Most families can protect their lives for less than $50.00, but you'd be surprised how many places I've seen without even one working smoke detector.:shk:

[edit on 5/2/2009 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by emmy

I have never had a pan fire but my father always made sure we had the correct fire extinguisher in the kitchen.

Did you know that a normal fire extinguisher doesnt work on oil fires?

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
As noted cover it with a lid or throw a bunch of salt on it to smother it

NEVER use water

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

So, have pan fires happened to anyone else? Did you managed to put it out? Unfortunately, I didn't have a lid big enough to cover the pan, therefore I would have starved it from it's oxygen to carry on burning, etc... If it has happened to you, may I ask, what went through your mind?

I usually keep around a box of baking soda (just in case), but I also have a small kitchen fire extinguisher, and a manual switch smoke detector in the kitchen. It's really a very small investment, for such a potential hotspot for danger....

new topics

top topics

join