It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids get their wish and have their school renamed to 'Barack Obama Elementary School'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) — Students got their wish Wednesday as their school was officially renamed Barack Obama Elementary School.

School officials believe it's the first in the nation to be renamed for the 44th president, and they said the idea to change the name of Ludlum Elementary School came from the children themselves.

The students wrote essays and held mock debates during the campaign, and paid close attention when Obama and Republican Sen. John McCain met in their final presidential debate at Hofstra University, about a mile from their school on Long Island.

"It really sends a message to children that when they get involved they can make a difference," said acting school Superintendent Joseph Laria....

Link

Wow, usually a President has to at least finish a term to get this kind of honor, Barack Obama shattered the previous record by getting it done in about two weeks.

Peace

[edit on 5-2-2009 by Dr Love]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I wonder will they be so quick to undo what they have done should his Presidency not live up to expectations or is the simple fact that he's not white enough to justify the naming?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
It's wonderful to see kids getting involved in the political process at such a young age. Good for them. If it's what they and the administration wants, I think it's great that they were able to vote for it and make it happen.

What is the record that was shattered, Dr. Love? Do you have a link?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
What is the record that was shattered, Dr. Love? Do you have a link?

No, it was meant to be a funny, but I'd bet my Jerry Vale record collection that whatever the record was got obliterated. Some people even have to die before having that honor bestowed upon them.

When I was in school and "all" the kids wanted something changed, they'd tell us to shut our pieholes.

Peace

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I am turely starting to find it very scarry the amount of people who are so blindly following this person. You know even Mr Obama has said "Contrary to popular belife I was not born in a manger" But the amount of blind faith people put in this person, he is quickly being put into the same light as religious icons. He is just a man after all, he is nothing special in my eyes. About the only thing that sets him aside form other would be the fact is he is a really good speaker, and knows how to manipulate people into believing in him hook line and sinker.

He is no more special then the rest of the world people. He may be the president of the United States but it seems to me he is just as clueless to figuring out the major problems as anyone else in government.

[edit on 2/5/0909 by Trayen11]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

I'm not 100% certain but i believe JFK would be the one to have schools named after him. I believe schools were renamed in his honour shorty after his murder. I could be wrong though.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
So all Obama had to do was get elected and that's good enough for the kiddies to feel that he deserves a school named after him, eh? Okay.

School information

Hispanic: 63%
Black, non-Hispanic: 37%
White, non-Hispanic:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Actually regarless of how long or short Obama presidency is lived, he as the first American black president will have many, many places honoring him in history.

He is history in the making as it.

Sorry people but for those that doesn't agree with Obama, due to political party lines and loyalties will have to swallow this one because he is here to stay in the pages of history as long as the US is a soverign nation.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

You do have a good point, and I can see why he will have many things named after him. It just seems to me this man is being put on a pedastill than noone can live up to.

He is just another politician after all.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
will have to swallow this one

Yep. It's just funny watching people fawn over this guy who has done nothing but get elected to an office. It's two weeks in and he's off to a shakey start. I wonder if there will be a school renaming party if Obama fails to bring 'change hope unity' .. or will just the fact that he's a black guy in office be enough for the poor minority school to sustain the building being named for him.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Attendance rate: 94%
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program: 94%

Those numbers make it sound like the kids just show up for a free meal.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
They had better attach the new letters to the school with Velcro.

Hey, how about a Botox/Face Lift clinic named after Pelosi?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The reality of the matter is, it's probably closer to the truth than you think thisguy. Our school systems have become daycare centers rather than institutions of learning.

[edit on 5-2-2009 by LLoyd45]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Yeah, go after the social class, race, poverty level and minority status of the students, parents and their teachers. That really puts them in their place, huh?

As marg so eloquently said, you're going to have to swallow this one!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Right on cue ...

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
go after the social class, race, poverty level and minority status of the students, parents and their teachers.

Showing who exactly this school renaming came from is not 'going after'.

5-9 year old poor minority students, with the help of their 68.8% minority teachers, and with the blessing of their minority parents, renamed their school after a politician-lawyer whose only achievment was getting elected to office.

That's it.

Like I said - whatever.

HEY DOCTOR LOVE - Did they name it Barack Obama Elementary School or Barack Hussein Obama Elementary School? Just curious.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

No, just "Barack Obama".

I'm betting that this school will be the first in a long line of schools that change their names to the same.

Peace

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

I agree that he should finish his term cuz they don't know what he is going to do yet.

On the other hand, I think it is better for kids to have a school named after someoen they know then and can relate to more then some county councilment from 50 years ago.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I'm betting that this school will be the first in a long line of schools that change their names to the same.

Yep. We have tons of MLK blvds and JFK streets .. and Washgiington bridges and schools ... oh wait .. those people actually DID SOMETHING. But you are right .. i'm sure we'll see these things pop up everywhere ( just like a rash).

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Its clear to me this will be the spawning pool of indoctrination. And yes the social status of the kids DO matter because it shows what kind of parents they have.

Deadbeats who wish to do nothing but sap tax dollars from the people who have a drive for success.

Haven't you read the motto lately? Deny Ignorance ... seems like a promotion for ignorance these days.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

If it is so easy to get elected, I wanna see you do it.

Sorry to sound contrite but it is not as easy as you think.

Just try getting an internship and washington and your lucky if you get a rejection letter, much less an elected position.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join