It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Number of alien worlds quantified

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   

news.bbc.co.uk

The discovery of more than 330 planets outside our solar system in recent years has helped refine the number of life forms that are likely to exist.

The current research estimates that there are at least 361 intelligent civilisations in our Galaxy and possibly as many as 38,000.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
This seems like pretty solid, and believable research, thought I would post it for you all to read. Its seems like a more reasonable approach to the matter.

I have always believed that other intelligent life exists, maybe none have visited us, maybe some have, but they are out there. More work like this needs to be done to try and find those answers, at least until we do actually get some sort of disclosure.

Just to note, this is a BBC report so its at least semi-reliable.

news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 4/2/09 by woogleuk]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
The Drake Equation

The above is what the assertion of the article is being based upon.

It should be noted that, though the equation is based on reasonable estimates, it is not a guarentee. Consider that if you flip a coin ten times and it turns up heads each time that there is no guarentee that the eleventh flip will turn up tails.

There are many variables that need to be satisfied to enable intelligent life...much less intelligent civilizations.

That said...great article and I would be shocked and appalled if there weren't any other intelligent civilizations...

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Cheers memoryshock
im gonna have a read of your link now. I have always known that there are multiple factors for life to exist, habitable zone around sun, right chemical makeup and so on, im just suprised that this story has made it to the BBC news site and not just some tabloid like The Sun or The Star (and thats just dawned on me, what perculiar names for Britains two big bullshnit newspapers).

Cheers again

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Good post, the article was very interesting. Whatever happened to the good old Drake equation, that was being used to predict life forms else where ? The article does not make any mention of that.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Good post, I'm about to read Memoryshock's link now

this significantly raises the possibility of aliens.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
double post, read the one below

[edit on 4/2/09 by woogleuk]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

It doesn't mention it. After reading up on the drake equation, thanks to memoryshock, i realise that this article on the BBC is a new area of study in it, with echoes of the drake equation. I am heavily into astronomy, my trusty 10" Reflector has shown me many things from rings round our planets, solar flares, to ice caps on mars, and many nebulas, but never anything as interesting as extra terrestrial, lol.
I prefer my sci-fi to sci-fantasy, I cannot believe i missed the references to this equation in star trek and the film Contact, i have been playing spore recently to, but i aint got that far yet.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure this relies heavily on much of the drake equation... but nothing stays the same for long. They've probably already modified the theory to take into account previously unknowns.

Either way, statistical probabilities are that there's likely over 300 INTELLIGENT species in our galaxy alone?

How have we NOT made contact yet? At least via EMF?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Awesome post! thanks for taking the time to make this.

Now I just need to find that post of the army dude that lists how many species they say we know about of aliens.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Unfortunatly our communication is as fast as we can go, and thats not even light speed, unless aliens are looking at us through the looking glass, I dont think we have been trying long enough to communicate, and even then, are we trying to communicate in the right fashion, just because we have binary and radio waves dont mean to say they use the same methods.

Anyway, its 6:15am here in the UK, im going to get a few hours sleep, im gonna leave this page open to hear other peoples thoughts, goodnight and godbless for now.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I dunno, electro-magnetic waves just seem like a natural choice for communication to me... then again, that's probably because of how we've been brought up. Almost everything here communicates by either EMF or IR.

Maybe other species have figured out how to generate twin quantum particles without using the same neutron. That would allow for instantaneous communication over infinite reaches.

... or, their mode of communication could be WAY beyond anything we are capable of rationalizing with our level of intellect.

Who knows.

But one things for sure... I WANT to know.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Well, here are a few of the most plausible reasons provided by SETI.

www.seti.org...

Finally, we consider door number three we have enticed the aliens with human activity. Lets set aside the question of whether advanced galactic societies would have the slightest interest in our wars, our pollution problems, or our reproductive systems. The real question is, how would they know about us at all?

In fact, theres only one clear and persistent "signal" that Homo sapiens has ever sent to the stars: our high-frequency radio transmissions, including television and radar. The Victorians (let alone the Egyptians or the Nazca Indians), despite all their technical sophistication, could never have been spotted from light-years away. Humans have been making their presence known to the universe only for the last 70 years or so.

And thats a problem. It means that even if, after receiving an earthly transmission, the aliens can immediately scramble their spacecraft and fly to Earth at the speed of light, they cant be farther than 8 light-years away to have arrived by 1947. There are four star systems within this distance. Count em, four. Were back to winning the lottery.

What about warp drive? Maybe the aliens can create wormholes and get here in essentially no time. It doesnt matter. Our signals travel at the speed of light, and this means that even with infinitely fast spacecraft, the aliens cant be farther off than 15 light-years to have reached our lovely planet by 1947. The number of star systems within 15 light-years is about three dozen. There would have to be 10 billion technically sophisticated societies in the Galaxy to have a reasonable chance of finding one camped out among the nearest three dozen stars. Thats optimism of a high level indeed.

Its nice to think that either Earth or its human inhabitants have not only attracted the attention of galactic neighbors, but encouraged them to visit. But frankly, the numbers dont give much support to this somewhat self-indulgent idea.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

...And on we go with new found optimism and general fanfare.

news.cnet.com...

If you're one of the many people who doubt there's intelligent life anywhere else in the universe, or even someone who thinks there is but that it will take centuries to find it, get ready to be surprised.

"We'll find E.T. within two dozen years," senior SETI astronomer Seth Shostak said Tuesday night at an event held at Yahoo's Brickhouse here.

That is, he said, if the assumptions of many researchers within the SETI Institute are correct, assumptions that are based on a collision of computing power under Moore's Law and the distance into space we can look with new instruments that will be available to researchers in the years to come.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 5-2-2009 by cognoscente]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Maybe other species have figured out how to generate twin quantum particles without using the same neutron. That would allow for instantaneous communication over infinite reaches.

What do you guys think of Bob lazar, I know there have been many threads here about it. Do you think he is speaking the truth and that we have already made contact with alien civilizations? Do we have alien technology in our (govt) possession?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

news.bbc.co.uk

The discovery of more than 330 planets outside our solar system in recent years has helped refine the number of life forms that are likely to exist.

The current research estimates that there are at least 361 intelligent civilisations in our Galaxy and possibly as many as 38,000.

While its great news, to me as someone that would love to see alien life, not just the intelligent kind but 'Life' in general weather its a plant ,simple organism or something akin to a... well animal.

Under what ever equation they used what would the number of planets with actual 'Life' as we know it here on earth be in the galaxy, if with the equation 361 theoretical intelligent civilizations possibly exist in the galaxy?.

It must be one heck of alot of strange worlds with nothing but even stranger animals running around on it out there
given how evolution might work, we might see some familiar species out their to boot or almost familiar species at anyrate.

**looks over at his cats** ... i know for sure they aint from 'here'

To think only a few decades ago they still thought we where the only system with planets around it... i mean how close minded could we have been, dont need a telescope to know theres more than just us here in the universe.

[edit on 5-2-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I have a few questions...

The science of astronomy, while deeply historically rooted, has only now in this past century taken shape as a serious discipline. Considering the infancy of the science in this regard, and that we have immediately begun to narrow our search for extraterrestrial life by preferentially selecting likely targets in outer space, would not these aliens do the same? Such a scheme would certainly increase their odds of finding us. If we were doing the same, wouldn't that double our chances? But it seems there are other less apparent limitations...

Is it even plausible to assume that extraterrestrial intelligent life would even share certain qualities, such as inquisitiveness? Do you believe such psychological structures would evolve analogously on different planets? Would they evolve at all? Could an intelligent life form evolve, capable of sophisticated tool-use, yet be totally bereft of any sort of inquisitive nature? What about reason? If some sort of intelligence exists, which hasn't evolved a system of rationality, but is capable of highly sophisticated tool-use, would it even bother to search for other life? Would it value a preferential method in determining where to look for life? Probably not. Would it, like we are now, search for planets in "habitable zones" of solar systems, for example? Do you think that intelligent life on average would develop some sort of rational interface? Or is this simply a niche that was only relevant for evolving hominids? The emergence of advanced epistemology in humans seems to be predicated on a change in environmental conditions, which might have favored long-term assessments of information regarding the location of food sources (Real, 1994). If similar evolutionary trajectories never existed for our aliens in subject, would they even care if we existed, let alone question their own existence? The intelligence of this alien could be remarkable, yet it might not even be aware of its own existence, or at least be as concerned about it in the sense that we are.

There are just so many variables it starts to get mind-numbing. However, I still don't believe we should give up. The argument that for all our work we've seen little result is erroneous. Perhaps that's just the nature of our hunter-gather past flirting with the highly erratic nature of our modern post-industrial world... I propose we start thinking about the long term for a change.

Real, L. A. (1994). The Evolution of Rationality. Retrieved February 4, 2008, from www.indiana.edu...

[edit on 5-2-2009 by cognoscente]

new topics

top topics

join