It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass U.S. and Canada Demonstrations Set for March 13th-19th

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
As with most typical "organized" protests, I'm sure we'll see:
Anti-War protesters
Anti-Abortion protesters
Anti-IRS/Tax protesters
Anti-Obama protesters
Anti-Gun protesters
Anti-Gay protesters
Anti-Israel protesters
Anti-Gaza protesters
Anti-plastic sandwich baggie protesters
Anti-cute & fluff bunny protesters
Anti-typing on internet forum protesters

Get the picture?

How can anyone be taken seriously when you can't even focus on a common message/goal to protest about.

Think those FEMA camps are a joke? Maybe the alleged building of those along with the "organized rallies" have something in common. Think about it

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

You'd have all of those people in this protests anyway, just because a person believes passionately about one thing doesn't mean they don't have room for another

A massive protest will work, as long as the PR is right. At the moment, people are not incensed enough to follow a group suggesting illegal action or action that puts those taking part in immediate danger of losing their job, hardship, criminal charges...

The PR campaign for this is all wrong.
They need to focus the goal on massive marches on regional offices, rallies and loud protests, and leave it at that. We don't need people to make sacrifices beyond that to achieve the goal. The goal here is to spread awareness and push for change. Blocking a runway, losing your job, and putting small businesses under increasing pressure is not going to achieve any goals to benefit the majority.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The irony is, if this is successful it will have the opposite of the intended effect. If people are delayed for hours or even days they'll be outraged, and very, very few will sympathize with the protesters.

This would be an incredibly selfish, arrogant protest. It's like the protesters are saying "hey, I don't care if you wanna get home to spend the weekend with your family - or any destination you're trying to get to. I don't care how much pain and frustration I make common people go though. My opinion is more important than just about anything happening in your life."

Bad idea. Stupid idea. Good way to turn people against you.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
First of all to the OP.
Star for you, but I will not flag to bring more attention to it.
I will not shoot the messenger in other words.

M. Moore is no better than pill pushing doctors whom treat the symptom and not the problem.
Why does he not get on the right side of things for once and get behind some of the states like NH and get behind Ron Paul who is trying hard to get the PTB and the man behind the curtain. He has just introduced a bill to dump the Fed. Reserve Bank. This is where are problems started, and where they have to end.
We will have to live for awhile with the income tax of the IRS, but it could be eventually taken out as well. These two factions are what control us. It alows buisnesses to be "To big to fail".

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It is Michael Moore, what do you expect?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
lol ain't nothing going to happen
When it comes down to it people would rather sit at home and watch TV
I live in a small town and can't afford to go to D.C
so i got an excuse

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm
I had a feeling that stopping the airport runways was indeed going to make it to America. This will be extremely interesting to watch how this will develop and how the cops will handle this.

I hope they arrest the lot of them! What right do these people think they have to impede the freedom-of-movenment of other Americans and Canadians?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
slightly of topic but i wonder what the anti-capitalist demonstrations will be like this year on may 1st - infamous mayday riots protests.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Our fascist government will be ready for the trouble makers that are planning this protest.

They will thin them out before they have a chance to do anything.

America is a time bomb right now, people are just waiting for that spark that will start a chain reaction that will end in a very ugly way as people's frustration finally will be vented out.

The opportunist will take advantage as usual creating tragedy.

Rather than waiting for this to happen, government agency will track down anybody that is in the planning for this to avoid public insurgency.

I wish these people good luck but they better get ready to watch their backs

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Wow... it would be great if this leads to some positive change.
But I'd be careful about the airports. They won't even let you fly with shampoo anymore, so sitting on the runways... well... I have a feeling that the protesters would be met with shall we say... serious force.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Our fascist government will be ready for the trouble makers that are planning this protest.

The only facists here are these protestors, who want to infringe upon the rights of other Americans and Canadians.

Again, what right do they have to impede our rights?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Just a quick word of warning. You would be foolish beyond compare to try and stage a sit down protest on an airport runway.

There are many ways to protest that don't involve:

A) Endagering the lives of the protesters.
B) Endagering the lives of air-passengers, air-crew, ground technicians and airport staff.
C) Severe disruption and chaos for those trying to go about their daily lives.

Protest all you want, it's healthy, but dont risk the lives of the individuals protesting and the innocent masses who may get caught up in it all.

There was recently a protest that involved sitting on the runway at Stanstead airport in London. The protest was undertaken by climate change activists. To say the UK police were heavy handed in their removal of these people is an understatement...........and the UK Police dont have guns.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Just be careful out there the cops will be part of the demonstration and try incite riots.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I have (as a non US citizen) wondered for a very long time how you Americans get f***d in the ass by your government and somehow cannot get organized to protest. Maybe its because its such a huge country or the most of the Americans just dont see whats happening...or even dont care.
Unity=power

Peace.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Going to the runways would be extreme, I agree with that, and you would get a lot of POed people, and bad press.

I think though, the dates could be used for something like we saw at the inauguration.

Why not a couple of million people at the Washington Mall?

Why wouldn't we all stand up for our and our childrens and grandchildren's future.

It is actually that important.

Look the MSM did not cover all the protest on Wall St. with the bailout bill.

They don't cover small groups here and there, but a couple of million in Washington DC they couldn't look the other way.

I posted what a group has planned, I am not advocating going on runways or anything of that sort.

But - being aware, that people are going to speak out during those dates, might then make all of us think about what we could do, to also show where we stand with what is going on now..... in a peaceful way.

As I said, we sit and complain and post what we think is wrong..... but are we also willing to stand up... to what we think is wrong also.

Yes, those thoughts of a FEMA camp, stand in my mind, when I am considering something like this too.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
How many of you were/are against the Bailouts? I know I certainly am. And all you want to do is just write your congressmen who (unless your very fortunate) will most likely ignore you. Yeah protests like this are dangerous and can have serious repercussions, but you know what it's a lot better than what Greece & Iceland have been through. These people aren't looting, or destroying any property, their just using airports as a tool to get attention. To make people aware of us against the bailouts. Yeah an airport probably isn't the best place to protest, but if it gets attention to the thousands of us who are against the bailouts, then it's worth it. We need to stop our government taking advantage of us and unfortunately writing your congressmen isn't working thus far, did Martin Luther King just sit down and watch his people be abused? Did our founding fathers just let Britain tax them into oblivion? No, they peacefully protested and that's what we need to do. Sitting on a runway may not be smart, but it is not at all violent.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
First time poster, long time lurker and hello all

While the airport demos are a good idea, i see a problem...

Thailand had 3 airports blocked. A very small number compared to the amount of airports in the US. So logistically i would see that there wouldn't be enough people at any airport to be able to get access to the runway before something painful happened.

Although if 1000's of people turned up at 1 airport chances of success of gaining access to the runway would favour the protestors. But then it would be time to accept pain as the cops call in for backup.

Either way, runway blockage is going to cause a lot of pain and possible death for the protesters.... Good Luck though and more power to those that are willing to take it on.

Ohh and there is no such thing as "peaceful protests" these days.. Only takes 1 or a couple of people to incite violence,throw a rock, smash a window and then its going to kick off and the fun\pain\riots begin...

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Zeptepi

What to do, what to do.

We know oil is a method of control. Money. Our energy consumption generally. Our media and entertainment. Wall St. Food and water. Misplaced patriotism and nationalistic fervour. Militarism. Religion. These are the areas we need to loosen the chains, there must be lots of people in all these areas interested in change, there must be a way to move on, you know you do a little bit here and a bit there to help, change your psychology a bit, and who knows where it leads? We're all part of the system to some degree.

I had a feverish dream the other night...
WE covered the arid areas of the planet with solar collector power plants, desalinization plants, composting plants for our sewage, plasma recycling plants for our garbage.
WE forgave everyone's debts and showed up for work next morning as usual and just started over. I mean how can we all be in debt its just ridiculous.
WE forgave all the bad-asses for killing and maiming and using DU and nukes, flouride, aluminium, plutonium, mercury, etc etc, just cut it out, clean it up, and get your # together.
WE cut down on junk food, banned all oil based non degradable plastic containers and advised LA gang members to get more interested in cooking and gardening.
WE had a good laugh at the idea of economic growth and various cartels blocking the emergence of ecologicaly sound technologies in all walks of life.
WE didn't feel we had to get into marriage and family system if we didn't want to, sure you can have a lot of kids but think about the future for a change and the rest of us!
Killing people. Putting poo in the atmosphere and seas. It's just a no-no!
Truth is seen as the best thing even if it really pisses us all of such as A: we all are finally told about a rogue comet due to hit the planet at approximately 4.32pm tomorrow pacific time, wiping out 99% humanity; or B: we found out we were did not evolve from apes but were seeded here by a group of weird looking gangly ET's who speak in high pitched voices; or C: it took us 4.5 billion years and 3 planets to invent the bagless vacuum cleaner; or D: a large 2 mile V-shaped craft is illegally hovering over the local "Happy Valley" complex (apartment 4-d) each night not to assist humanity into the "New Age" but merely to avoid prohibitive parking fees and taxes at the nearby intergalactic "Dick Cheney spaceport."

oh well. one can dream eh?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I for one, shall be striking for HIGHER CONSCIOUSNESS!

sorry bout that yall... I couldn't resist

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
They will never pull this off. Too many people won't stay home from work nor let their children stay home. It's different here in America. We'll take whatever the gov't dishes out to us by griping about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join