It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Planet is That?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Just wondering what planet we're seeing right now at night? Bigger and brighter than our north star and you usually can see it near the moon. Been seeing it every time I take the dog out at night and didn't get a chance until now to post about it.

Mercury? Venus? Mars?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I think you mean Venus but I'm from Australia so I don't know what is visible where you are.

I'd presume Capella is your brightest star in the North and it'd be Venus you're seeing however it isn't that close to the moon.

[edit on 4/2/09 by Nventual]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I see the same bright planet from Ontario as well. We must be in a close orbit alignment with Venus of something like that.

Here is the current positions of the planets.

Source

A different source

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by spliff4020

Yeh, from my understanding, it's Venus. It's been hanging out with us a lot lately. And I just want to say - your avatar is sick!

The good kind of sick, you know?

[edit on 4-2-2009 by lel1111]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
If this is the light you are seeing it is Venus...

My picture of Venus in other thread

Nice n bright aint it? Think is because the sun is reflecting off it..

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Earlier this year or late last year we here in Australia were able to view Venus at super close range to the Moon. I figure it was viewable elsewhere. Happens once every 100 years or something.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by UKWO1Phot

You, sir, are correct. At least that's what it looks like from this location. It's close to the moon for a certain time until the moon orbits farther up into the sky. Very cool looking. And thanks for the avatar compliment.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by spliff4020]

top topics

join