It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US threats mean evidence of British resident's Guantánamo torture must stay secret, judges rule

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

US threats mean evidence of British resident's Guantánamo torture must stay secret, judges rule

www.guardian.co.uk

Evidence of how a British resident held in the Guantánamo Bay detention camp was tortured, and what MI5 knew about it, must remain secret because of serious threats the US has made against the UK, the high court ruled today.

The judges made clear they were deeply unhappy with their decision, but said they had no alternative as a result of a statement by David Miliband, the foreign secretary, that if the evidence was disclosed the US would stop sharing intelligence with Britain. That would dir
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
well i'm not sure who to comment on here
UK or U.S.A

The judges said today that they found it "difficult to conceive" the rationale for the US's objections to releasing the information, which contained "no disclosure of sensitive intelligence matters" about how US officials treated detainees.

"Indeed, we did not consider that a democracy governed by the rule of law would expect a court in another democracy to suppress a summary of the evidence contained in reports by its own officials ... relevant to allegations of torture and cruel, inhumane or degrading treatment, politically embarrassing though it might be," they said.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I saw this today. This is some stuff man if this is true. I personally think it is. Obama is no different. We have a 2 party crime family in Washington.

new topics

join