It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP, Two Others Refuse to Distribute Obama Photo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Good for them!!! So glad to see they didn't pander to the staged photos

Three news agencies refused to distribute White House-provided photos of President Barack Obama in the Oval Office on Wednesday, arguing that access should have been provided to news photographers. NEW YORK (AP) -- Three news agencies refused to distribute White House-provided photos of President Barack Obama in the Oval Office on Wednesday, arguing that access should have been provided to news photographers. The Associated Press, Reuters and Agence France-Presse said the White House was breaking with long-standing tradition in not allowing news photographers to capture the president at work in the Oval Office on his first day. "We are not distributing what are, in effect, visual press releases," said Michael Oreskes, managing editor for U.S. news at the AP. The news agencies have used White House-provided images in the past for areas in the White House where media access is generally not permitted, such as the Situation Room or the private residence. But they contend that the Oval Office is the public office of the president and photographers should have access rather than rely on a government handout. "Using these photos would be a major break with established precedent and would compromise the long-held tradition of independent photo coverage of the president and the White House by the major news agencies," said Courtney Dolan, spokeswoman for Thomson Reuters. There was no immediate reply to e-mail and phone messages left with Obama representatives. The White House later released a photograph of the president retaking the oath of office with Chief Justice John Roberts, which the AP also rejected. Vincent Amaluy, director of photography for North and South America for AFP, said he suspected first-day confusion was more at play than an attempt to clamp down on access. "We are hopeful of negotiating an amicable solution," Oreskes said.

Article link

[edit on 2/4/2009 by llpoolej]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Where is the photo? was there any other reasons besides availability?
and Line 2
and 3

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
There was no photo pictured. It is an article on the news agencies not running a posed photo supplied by the white house, in the oval office. The link to the original article is below the qouted text

They wouldn't run it as they were refused access, and have never been refused access in the past, for the first day in office. The Obama administration sent a posed photo, which, the AP/Reuters and French press refused to run for that reason

[edit on 2/4/2009 by llpoolej]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Wonder how they feel about their messiah now that he doesnt need them anymore to fool the american people into beeliving he is so wonderful?

Serves them right for being so onesided during the elections.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Obama must of had a big zit and afraid the media wouldn't blot it out for them.

A big plus to the media that said NO to Obama.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by usapatriot

Is that you Rush?

(ok ok I'm just making a joke...but go ahead and flame me if you like)

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The picture is posted on BBC.

BBC

The Associated Press is claiming compensation for the use of one of its photographs to create the most iconic image of Barack Obama.

The red, white and blue portrait by Shepard Fairey appeared on thousands of posters and T-shirts and is now in Washington's National Portrait Gallery.

Lawyers for AP and Shepard Fairey are reported to be holding talks.

I wonder why they didn't say something before now? That picture has been around forever.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
It is probably his handlers and not the man himself. maybe later he will have 15 minutes to spare for the photographers to get their money shot of him in the White House.

The AP makes money off the pictures. It's not like they are being altruistic.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Here's an Obama picture that didn't get much play in the press.
He tried to use a White House window as a door.
Now when Bush had trouble with a door ... we all heard about it.

Enjoy.

N Y Daily News

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Never said they were being altruistic, don't know why you think I sound like Rush. This came in my email, from imaging news. As a photographer, these are important things. Like Journalistic integrity. Something we don't see as often as we should anymore.

The photographers for the AP are paid per shot used. I am sure the AP is paid by the newspapers. Not sure if the AP would still be paid for running a canned photo, but I am guessing they would. Don't know.

I'll ask my friends who are AP photographers.

My take on the article is that it is customary for the AP and other news outlets to be allowed to have their photographers snap a photo of his first day in office. They were not allowed this and decided not to run the photo supplied by the white house photographer.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
My Rush joke was in response to usapatriot's reply

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Got it. I skim. I miss important details.

top topics

join