It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why would anyone say ‘religion’ is here…to ‘control’ people?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
1) Do you think faith/religion is here to control the masses?
2) Why?
3) Your evidence?
4) Did you once believe?
5) Did you change?
6) Why are you an atheist?
7) Why are you an agnostic?
8) Why you are a christian?
9) What ‘SHOULD‘ God look like/act like/be like?

1)Yes

2) I feel religion is a means of controlling certain individuals. Don't get me wrong, some of the very best people I know are religious, but there is also a negative side. My problem is, religion is used as a tool of manipulation. Example: The Bush administration used references to god in his speeches as a way to connect himself to the majority of the American public.

3) Look at GB speeches and see for yourself.

4) Yes

5) Yes

6) I don't claim to know the truth about anything, but I "feel" the truth is greater than what people call god. Our understanding of very very limited right now, but we as humans have an uncanny ability to learn and evolve. Will we ever understand life? Maybe, maybe not. I feel we are starting to outgrow the concept of god (especially the youth). My only concern is we are losing a good moral compass.

Gene roddenberry concept of mankind future is the type of future I would hope we could achieve someday.

7) im not.

8) not

9) hehe, who knows. Since we are all primarily made up of energy according to Einstein Theory of relativity, maybe we are all part of an elaborate computer program like the Matrix. I guess my point is, NOBODY KNOWS.) Do you think faith/religion is here to control the masses?
2) Why?
3) Your evidence?
4) Did you once believe?
5) Did you change?

1)Yes

2) I feel religion is a means of controlling certain individuals. Don't get me wrong, some of the very best people I know are religious, but there is also a negative side. My problem is, religion is used as a tool of manipulation. Example: The Bush administration used references to god in his speeches as a way to connect himself to the majority of the American public.

3) Look at GB speeches and see for yourself.

4) Yes

5) Yes

6) I don't claim to know the truth about anything, but I "feel" the truth is greater than what people call god. Our understanding of very very limited right now, but we as humans have an uncanny ability to learn and evolve. Will we ever understand life? Maybe, maybe not. I feel we are starting to outgrow the concept of god (especially the youth). My only concern is we are losing a good moral compass.

Gene roddenburrys concept of mankind future is the type of future I would hope we could achieve someday.

7) im not.

8) not

9) hehe, who knows. Since we are all primarily made up of energy according to Einstein Theory of relativity, maybe we are all part of an elaborate computer program like the Matrix. I guess my point is, NOBODY KNOWS.

Good post,

BTW, long time reader first time poster

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Note: I've only read the original post. I'm kind of in a hurry right now, but I wanted to get my thoughts down now before they escape my memory.

I believe religion was a useful tool at one point. As in, we should have outgrown its usage by now. It was vital during a time when evolution was still growing our global consciousness, when wars and famine were commonplace and when civilization as a whole wasn't as 'civilized' as it is now.

Now, though, we certainly do have a mature global consciousness. The East has met the West, and we know all there is to know about our two distinct cultures. We are now beginning to turn inwards, towards peace and the protection of nature, of Mother Earth. Whether you believe Global Warming is a sham or not, you can't deny the fact that its getting people's attention to important subjects such as deforestation and pollution, and there's more money then ever being pumped into this 'industry'.

The 'Elites', if you will, saw the manipulative aspects of religion right off the bat. If you think about it, their are only two distinct outcomes in any situation: one where you manipulate your surroundings, and one where you nurture your surroundings. Religion began as a way to nurture the spirit, the most powerful way available to some cultures as a matter a fact. Yet, with this kind of influence, you can just as easily 'flip the coin' to the other side and use the energy of religion to manipulate people. I feel this what it has come to.

Religion is many things to many people. I'm all for people finding themselves in a certain belief, if they truly adhere to these beliefs and stay positive. I don't think theirs much of an argument against the fact though that their are certain people in certain high places who wish to keep the status quo for as long as possible, propping up their house of cards. In this way religion is manipulative and a tool for control, yes.

Edit: Grammar.

[edit on 5-2-2009 by Tgautier13]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Yes, religion is about control.
It is also about getting money to feed the controllers and give them a life of luxury.
There is no other reason for it to exist.
And then they have the audacity to stand up there in their gold trimmed robes preacing the virture of poverty.
And the poor masses never complain.

Yes, I once tried to follow a religion. I was young. I had a gut level rebellion. After several years I became free from any doubts. Now I am at a total loss to understand how intelligent adults can read their bibles and believe that they are true.

The stories are so like the fairy tales and Aesop's fables that we used to hear/read. The exception being that the bible is full of sex and bloody violence.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Not necessarily 'control the masses'. You see, there are many DIFFERENT ways to control people. We are seeing it right now in government. We have seen it over and over and it just gets more and more harsh as time goes on. For example, Bush used 911 to scare the hell out of everyone that we are now facing these maniacs that will stop at nothing to murder you wherever you are just because you are an American. Now we have Obama saying that if this pork ladened stimulus package doesn't get passed today or soon that we may never ever EVER recover.

The same thing goes for religion. Supposedly Jesus died for our sins (Christian obviously). He beared our burdens and cleansed us. Well, then why is it that Christian religions preach over and over how sinful we are and how we have to repent repent repent. That no amount of good deeds will ever wash away the sins that we bear. The only way to do this is through Christ. But I thought he already did that for us? Okay, more importantly, the concept of hell is thrown at you. If you lead an evil life....strike that. You can lead a good life but even if you do and don't accept Jesus as your savior, you are SCREWED. You get it? You seeing where I am coming from on this?

It's fear mongering at its best.

I have chosen to lead a good life and to treat every human being that I come across (regardless of race, religion, sex, looks, handicaps, personality traits, and on and on and on) the SAME. Okay, there are a few on here that I get angry with at times and rant about but I don't hate them.

2) Why?

Well, list me the most financially sound institutions on this planet. Not businesses, but institutions. Who has the most wealth. Wealth not being just cash either. I'm talking assets like land, artifacts, gems, precious metals and so on. Then put on there the fact that GOD OWNS 10% OF EVERYTHING YOU MAKE!!!! Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnn......

You see, hell is a very scary concept and it is a great motivator.

3) Your evidence?

"MY" interpretations of what Jesus was truly trying to say. He said that all that he can do we can do too but even better. He said that HE was God born on this planet. He also said that WE are all born in the image of God. He also said that God will not be found in a temple outside of the body but in the temple that is the body. (Well, something like that.) In other words, he was trying to say that yes, he was the son of God but so are you and you and you and you and you................

4) Did you once believe?

I still believe in God.

5) Did you change?

Well, obviously.

Nope.

Well, kind of but not truly.

Because I believe in what Jesus truly meant but not what has been manipulated by the churches of the world.

Well, look in the mirror. Look outside. Look up. Look down. Look in the nastiest place you can imagine. Look in the most beautiful place you can imagine. Look EVERYWHERE. Once you do this you will see what God is. If you could transport to the furthest reaches of this universe to a desolate planet you will see what God is. If you could transport to a Garden of Eden on this or another planet you will see what God is. God does not have to act like anything because God (source) created everything. If God knows ALL and ALL has already happened then God knows that you will sin (according to your cultures beliefs that is because a sin in America or the UK may not necessarily be a sin in Uganda or India). However, God has accepted this and will love you REGARDLESS. It's all part of the great experience that is this life on this plane of existence.

I won't even begin to go into the other dimensions and realms of reality that may or may not exist.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

2) Why?
3) Your evidence?
4) Did you once believe?
5) Did you change?
9) What ‘SHOULD‘ God look like/act like/be like

1) faith and religion are two different things. faith doesnt control the masses. religion does try to control the masses
2) look at history the proof is in the viewing
3) see 2
4) still do
5)yes.. people seem not to see that they are worshiping the church not god
6)i'm not
7)i'm not
8)dont concider myself one
9) we cannot and should not try to make god in our image..

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
Any ATS regular or lurker can see OT is online to represent his savior….no bait and switch here. It’s pretty darn clear, agree?

Proof…my threads here… www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have a few questions, if you may…please no flaming, ‘civility and decorum’ expected, right?

2) Why?
3) Your evidence?
4) Did you once believe?
5) Did you change?

Thanks guys for contributing…and please answer the nine questions, ok?

OT

PS: I respect your thoughts…if you disagree, I will explain my point of view, fair?

[edit on 4-2-2009 by OldThinker]

Aren't you going to answer any of these questions?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Any ATS regular or lurker can see OT is online to represent his savior….no bait and switch here. It’s pretty darn clear, agree?

Proof…my threads here… www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have a few questions, if you may…please no flaming, ‘civility and decorum’ expected, right?

2) Why?
3) Your evidence?
4) Did you once believe?
5) Did you change?

Thanks guys for contributing…and please answer the nine questions, ok?

OT

PS: I respect your thoughts…if you disagree, I will explain my point of view, fair?

[edit on 4-2-2009 by OldThinker]

1) Yes
2)Erradication of paganism, perversion of gospels, citing of major religion in nearly EVERY major conflict in the world,
3)See #2
4)Yes, raised catholic
5)When I reached a personal awareness level to realize someone telling me what I should believe hardly qualifies as faith...
6)I'm Not
7)I'm not
8)I'm not
9)Cannot answer, do to my total disbelief in any theist structure.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Yes.

2) Why?

To feed and protect those in control.

3) Your evidence?

The wealth of the Catholic church, the Inquisition.

4) Did you once believe?

No.

5) Did you change?

No.

Because I can think for myself.

Not applicable.

Not applicable.

Can leap over small dogs in a single bound - As strong as a bricklayer - Can see through lace curtains? I really have no idea. God is a figment of somebody else's imagination - not mine.

[edit on 5/2/09 by Myrdyn]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by toochaos4u

I enjoyed hearing this story because I have felt for years the good deeds done by Christian groups have alterior motivations behind them than just lending a helping hand. While I commend them for their efforts, when these deeds are done with the intention of converting and creating a following it undermines the element of compassion. For example would these same missions lend a helping hand to a community of people who are steadfast in their own non-christian belief systems, but are in need humanitarian aid none the less? Think of how many less starving children there would be in the 3rd world countries these missions help out if they would advocate the use of and distribute contraceptives. Again I applaud there efforts, but there motivations are suspect at the least.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Tgautier13

Great post couldn't have said it better myself ,(no really I couldn't),I tried

also I love your avatar!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Myrdyn

So pretty much the only religion that exists is Christianity specifically the Roman Catholic Church and its followers.

From all the religions that exist I wonder why you only commented that one. So basically for you the reason that religion exists to control the masses IS the Roman Catholic Church... so what about the Orthodox Church? Taoism? Judaism? Budism? what about Muslims, Shintoists, Hindus, Jainists etc? Those dont exist according to you?

The OP is not talking about Christianity, hes talking about Religion as a concept used as a tool of crowd control...

And why the inquisition? You know the basis of the inquisition?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
All organized faith/religion are sadly made into tools for mass and individual control.

2) Why?
As stated above, to control both the individual and the population, along with other mechanisms of control, as for instance politics, education, health system and so on....

3) Your evidence?
As for the christian religion, everything from what texts to include/exclude to translation an interpitation was the desicion of the catholic counsils led by the first popes and roman emperors. Everyone with some historical knowledge knows about what inbred maniacs the roman emperors was, but the sad truth is that most of the popes was not a bit better. You will find Tony Bushbys articles "The Criminal History of the Papacy" most interesting. Pt1 Pt2 Pt3
You may also find "The Forged Origins of the New Testament", also by Tony Bushby very interesting. There are a vast sources on how text and interpretations of the Bible has been changed due to various political agendas.
I must also mention that it was Sir Francis Bacon that got the job to make a Bible that fit the political agenda of King James, so that the King could still be the highest and almighty of the living. Sir Francis Bacon was the times highest ranking scientist and multi talent, and also a high ranking Mason. Due to this he put many secret codes into his translations. Many later Bible translations are based on Sir Francis Bacon's translations, the King James Bible. Other highly effective mechanisms of control belonging to this religion were the inqisition, and controlling education, medicine, politics, war, trade and money.

Did they do all this to be nice to people???

Only the obedient could receive support. In many ways this religion has not changed much and there are many facets that has honed their mind control techniques to perfection.

The other Middle Eastern religion, Islam is in no ways better. It started pretty much when Muhammad selected the moon-god, Allah among the 360 gods they did worship in Mecca. Not easy to controll anyone when they all had their own gods to worship, so he did as the Egyptian Pharaoh that banned the worship of all other gods than the ONE-AND-ONLY Sun God. Everyone that did not have the right belief was exterminated, just as the Popes had practiced sucessfully before him. Muhammad was probably also a Vatican agent to control the people that the Vatican could not control directly. It is clearly stated in the Quran that Muhammad had white skin and red hair.

Every religion that practices ONE belief is made for the few to control the many.

4) Did you once believe?
I have my belief, but it goes beyond any organized religion. The christianity I was taught in school was never my kind of religion.

5) Did you change?
Yes, I allways change by time and experience.

I have a belief...

Not that either...

Not exactly christian...

Not like the invicible man I has been taught about in school, anyway. Sneaking around every corner, watching my every step, thoughts, actions....... Condemning and sending to hell everyone with impure or incorrect thoughts, but he loves you....

I believe in an eternal, vast God-Mind that is everything. Everything is a part of this God-Mind; good, evil, everything. Within this God-Mind everything is, allways has and allways will be.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by itinerantseeker

Aren't you going to answer any of these questions?

As I said in an earlier post, I've been traveling in car for most of the day today...I have arrived to my destinition now....please give me a shot to look over and respond to the many great answers and respond...OT will get to my thoughts, eventually....

Thanks for asking there!

OT

PS: If interested see my signature, for some insight/links...God bless you!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

Faith is a personal thing, so no.

But religion... as in beleifs rigidly organized into a dogmatic system... I don't have to beleive that it is here to control people, that speaks for itself.

Another fine, thought-provoking post from asmeone2!!!

OT's glad you took the time to post!

OT

PS: I know we have some differences, but to me religion is MAN'S attempt to get to GOD, and real faith is letting Jesus (God in the flesh) reach down to MAN...

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tgautier13

Note: I've only read the original post. I'm kind of in a hurry right now, but I wanted to get my thoughts down now before they escape my memory.

I hear you...life is SO freakin' busy....I'll review the rest of your post soon...

Thank you, personally, for taking the time to respond...

OT

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
Pretty much, what I learned was the path Jesus talks about, and the things Jesus says is true. And then when I read Paul, I see things I wasn't supposed to do.

badmedia, if God wanted to convey a message? Would he not protect his message (over the ages) from heresy/hearsay?

Did not the Rabbi Paul, make it his mission to dis-credit Yeshua...and then get "punked" by Him?

Is Paul authentic? Is not Paul creditable?

OT

How about his letter to the smart folks from Rome? For example...verse 16...?.... "I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile."

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jadette
Let me ask you a question:

Why are you here on ATS 'representing' your savior? Why do you think you need to? On a conspiracy site no less? Your threads are more about defending God/Religion/TheBible than they are exploring any real conspriacy.

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just trying to understand because it seems a little out of place. I'm frankly a bit boggled that there's so much discussion about religion here on these boards, and again, much of it isn't conspiracy oriented, but rather, either theological debate or 'representing'.

J, Did you get a chance to respond to my answer to your original question? OT out in left feild?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyXlog

Alright, humor me....'arbitrary', uummm...let's take that thought and bring it to life....so if HITLER WON WW2, HE AND HIS BOYS WOULD HAVE BEEN 'GOOD' AND WE WOULD HAVE TO HAVE DEALT WITH WHATEVER????

Hitler and his boys certainly would have thought themselves "GOOD" why else do you think Hitler declared, "Today Deutschland, tomorrow the World"

???????????

Was my point about Hitler's perspective on his effort? No....or our response.....'ours'? Good and evil is not arbitary, agree?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

My bag, my bag...

Just in a funky mood lastnite. No harm intented...

One more time....OT a bit confused about the 'bag'????

OT

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by gYvMessanger

gYvMessanger, great answers...ny hope is others will read and really think about your answers...

OT

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join