It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why would anyone say ‘religion’ is here…to ‘control’ people?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

1) Do you think faith/religion is here to control the masses?
2) Why?
3) Your evidence?
4) Did you once believe?
5) Did you change?
6) Why are you an atheist?
7) Why are you an agnostic?
8) Why you are a christian?
9) What ‘SHOULD‘ God look like/act like/be like?

[edit on 4-2-2009 by OldThinker]

1) Yes.
2) One of the core functions of a religion is to provide a set of rules (e.g. the 10 commandments) by which the believers must follow or face a terrible fate, usually involving damnation for all time. The rules are controlled and interpreted by an elite - priests, rabbis, etc. This elite are separated and raised above society by status, property, wealth and ultimately absolution to allow access to eternal life. The rules are a substitution for the Super Ego (the internalisation of the rules of a society) and thereby a form of social control.
3) California and gay marriage, need I say more?
4) I was indoctrinated (brainwashed) at an early age, then I woke up.
5) Yes.
6) There is no shred of evidence for god. If then I need faith, why not have faith in Santa, the Tooth Fairy or a flying chair, what is the difference, really?
7) No.
8) See 6.
9) See 6.

[edit on 2/8/2009 by mithrawept]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Contrary to what you say, below, OT is "spreading the word," just look at his OP and replies. There is no doubt that he is a religious slave and is doing his best to convince others about the superiority of being a religious slave. Those of us who are not religious slaves can recognize the subtle manner of proselytizing he is using. There really was no reason for this thread to exist except for OT's putting in his 2 cents in favor of telling us how "happy" he is believing in myths.

Keep this in mind: folks do not buy into religion for believing in myths runs counter to being in control of your brain/mind. Religious slaves are not using their brain/mind 100% since it is under the control of whatever religion they're involved with which does not allow them to use logic, reason, and common sense. Religion is created by mind-control or mental conditioning. This is initiated from infancy with repetition. Notice how a hypnotist repeats commands over and over until the subject is temporarily conditioned to act upon the hypnotist's commands. Cult are peopled by the conditioned. You cannot have a cult of individuals. Just ask any cult deprogrammer how difficult it is to free a mind from the grasps of the cult commander's commands.

Religions are the worst concept conceived by man to control man and when it is eventually removed from humans' lives, that's when progress on this planet will commence.

Originally posted by observer28
[snip]
Back to OTs post: My suspicion comes from the fact that a core kernel in the religious programming is to self-propagate in any where whenever possible. To get others to submit to it's false "authority." The line of question that OT is engaging is typical of this programming beginning the process of "spreading the word." HOWEVER, I have not seen OT doing that in this thread so I think OT may be conscious enough to at least partially take command and keep the programming in check. However, in the end, the programming does, I suspect, keep OT in ultimate check by keeping him subservient to an external authority figure, god/jesus in this case.

Religion is an extremely base level type of belief structure and most folks who whole heatedly buy into it do so due to lack of conscious decision making power (discernment and self realization), fear or social pressure. Ultimately, despite my position that I think religion is a virus that should be destroyed, it is not my place to interfere in the lives of others in such a manner and so long as they keep it to themselves and it is no longer "just accepted" then I'll be fine with it. Until then, I shall continue to challenge any theist or blind servant of the base programming mentioned above. I have answered OTs questions in my own way...I trust OT is intelligent enough to get the answers he seeks from what I have written.

[edit on 7-2-2009 by observer28]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
WHERE is he responding to anyone's response? If he doesn't agree with you he simply says: "Here's a video for you" with a link to the video which I'm sure is religious since he would not use any sources that would disagree with him. He's here to sell religion, the stupidest task anyone could undertake. He can take it and ...

Originally posted by Tayesin
Hiya OT.
While I do not agree with your beliefs, I do appreciate the effort you are putting in to respond to all poster's in this thread. Well done.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I get the feeling that it all started after I said that I cant accept Jesus as the son of god.

After that it all started going a bit biblical.. :S

There is no need to be rude about it though, people here are capable of defending themselves from things they dont like. We dont need to turn this into a Bible burning.

[edit on 8/2/09 by CloudySkye]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Don't take responsibility for it got biblical before OT constructed the OP! He is in the business to sell religious myth, especially biblical myth. Yes, let's turn this into a bible burning for creating a nice, warm fire is about the only good use for a bible.

Originally posted by CloudySkye
I get the feeling that it all started after I said that I cant accept Jesus as the son of god.

After that it all started going a bit biblical.. :S

There is no need to be rude about it though, people here are capable of defending themselves from things they dont like. We dont need to turn this into a Bible burning.

[edit on 8/2/09 by CloudySkye]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

1..no
2..the masses will let them selfs be controlled by whatever is easy
3..show me an atheist who has no absolutes
4..yes I did once believe in one religion
5..yes I changed after seeing how other cultures live
6..I'm not an atheist
7..because I've experienced evidence of a higher power but not enough to define it
8..I'm not but the guy did lead by example, have to respect a man who sticks to his guns
9..anyone who thinks they can answer that one epitomizes human ignorance

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Learhoag
warm fire is about the only good use for a bible.

I disagree, I think pocket versions are useful for levelling out wonky tables, get enough hardback copies and you've got a good footrest, they are great for warding of door to door salesmen and it actually makes for a better read than Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code (but that doesn't say much tbh).

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

1) Do you think faith/religion is here to control the masses? No, I believe it originated to explain that which was unexplainable. It has and is used to control the masses, but that is not why it is here.

2) Why? Men have always sought to control others.

3) Your evidence? It is a predominant theme in history, and not just religious leaders. It is just human psychology.

4) Did you once believe? Yes. I was raised in a 'religious' family and attended a 'religious' school.

5) Did you change? Absolutely. As I got older, I had questions that my 'faith' could not answer, so I began a three decade spiritual journey in search for answers that 'faith' cound not answer.

6) Why are you an atheist? N/A

7) Why are you an agnostic? N/A

8) Why you are a christian? N/A

9) What ‘SHOULD‘ God look like/act like/be like? I don't believe that question can be answered by us mere mortals. Asking a human that question is akin to asking an ant to explain the complexities of the Space Shuttle.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

WHERE is he responding to anyone's response? If he doesn't agree with you he simply says: "Here's a video for you" with a link to the video which I'm sure is religious since he would not use any sources that would disagree with him. He's here to sell religion, the stupidest task anyone could undertake.

He can take it and ...

whew
good...thing...I...turned...the...other....CHEEK!

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Contrary to what you say, below, OT is "spreading the word," just look at his OP and replies. There is no doubt that he is a religious slave and is doing his best to convince others about the superiority of being a religious slave. Those of us who are not religious slaves can recognize the subtle manner...

Take a gander at the last line of the OP...aaww...I'll quote for you to save time...PS: I respect your thoughts…if you disagree, I will explain my point of view, fair?

And remember this link, in the OP...www.abovetopsecret.com...

= = = = =

Man, get a grip!!!

I am not superior to you or anyone...if you don't want to read this thread...or the Bible offends you (cause its obvious) move on to another...

OT

PS: Your'e the one preaching....I'm the one answering questions...

R-E-L-A-X !!!!!

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
To be fair this is the religious discussion forum, and OT clearly stated his intent early on in the thread.

Hes not pretending to be anything other than what he is.

Which is a passionate follower of Jesus, that's his choice, hes very open about it, I'm not sure what the issue is.

This is the first lines of the thread after the question was posed:

Any ATS regular or lurker can see OT is online to represent his savior….no bait and switch here. It’s pretty darn clear, agree?

That was posted by OT himself by the way.

[edit on 8-2-2009 by gYvMessanger]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by hannamtong

8 "Are you a Christian?"

8..I'm not but the guy did lead by example, have to respect a man who sticks to his guns

Never quite heard it that way....but it works!

Thanks for the level-head responses...

OT

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

GW, Hi...hope all is welll...

Thank you for the balanced approach you took in answering the nine...nice job!

For number nine would God still be a sadist, if He ensured JUSTICE for the Hitler types?

Sure God is love and He's also JUST...that's balance to OT...

Justice wouldn't be an issue if he didn't make Hitler types, least we forget, Hitler did believe he was doing God's work.

I remember reading a novel way back that had a heaven and no hell in it. For those that were bad, they died and were reborn to new circumstances and would keep repeating till they got it right - that seems fair.

What about a short form of instant Karma, that would also be justice.

[edit on 8/2/2009 by Good Wolf]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by gYvMessanger

Thanks for that...

It is late Saturday night...think the boys are enjoying the evening life... and got a lil' loose with the keys...no problem!

OT

We're chillin' watching the Grammys by the fireplace...

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Good Wolf

I remember reading a novel way back that had a heaven and no hell in it. For those that were bad, they died and were reborn to new circumstances and would keep repeating till they got it right - that seems fair.

I think that called re-incarnation, yes?

OT

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Not in the traditional sense, it has an end and a heaven.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Good Wolf

Not in the traditional sense, it has an end and a heaven.

I see...Sounds interesting to me...what's the name?

OT

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Jaxon, Sweet Avatar!!!

"Live long and prosper!" Spock

And for those easily offended that's not a Bible verse, although a biblical principle maybe

OT

J, are you excited about the new ST movie? I guess they are going back to when James Tiberious Kirk and Spock met at the Academy....

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Dunno. It was a long time ago and I can't remember the book, I can't even remember the story.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

GW, That's alright...if it comes to you, drop me a U2U...

Heard from NJ or noob lately?

OT

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join