It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why would anyone say ‘religion’ is here…to ‘control’ people?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Here's the worst part: I'm a good person...I try to do the right things, and try to stick to a moral compass...but because I don't believe in God, I'm going to burn in hell. However, Joe Schmoe the child raping priest gets to go to heaven, because he believes, and asks for forgiveness. There is something insanely wrong with that to me. So why would I put my faith in it?

Of course your not going to burn in hell.

You see this is why religion is bad.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
diests? Yes that is the conventional view....but badmedia, please look further in to it, ok?

Did you know that 52 of the 55 signers of The Declaration of Independence were orthodox, deeply committed Christians? The other three all believed in the Bible as the divine truth, the God of scripture, and His personal intervention.

link... www.johnnyleeclary.com... see there for more...

These guys were 'orthodox' of the day....and there was not 1st Deist Church of Plymouth, anywhere....

BM, You are probably one of the wisest on ATS, but OT has some info, that you may have not seen, fair? Take some time ok?

OT

I guess I should put it this way. They are not Christian as in mainstream religions. They were Christians in the way that I am.

I bring up objection to calling them Christians, because people make it out to be as if this was supposed to be a religious country, or based on the church or religion. When in fact, it was based on the principles of Jesus, not the church.

They were very much aware of the evils of the church.

Just as the Patrick Henry quote says. Notice he makes the same distinctions I often make. This is from your link.

It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religion, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For that reason alone, people of other faiths have been afforded freedom of worship here.

As well, we both know of the Jefferson Bible, in which he takes only the sayings of Jesus from the bible, and removes all the miracles and so on(paganism).

Jefferson also makes this distinction. Again from your link. Notice he defines what he means by that, so that there is no confusion.

"I am a Christian, that is to say a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus. I have little doubt that our whole country will soon be rallied to the unity of our Creator and, I hope, to the pure doctrine of Jesus also."

Now then, lets take a look at some other quotes.

www.sullivan-county.com...

"Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness, that has served to corrupt and brutalize mankind." - Thomas Paine (The Age of Reason, 1794-1795.)

"During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution." - James Madison

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise." James Madison -letter to Wm. Bradford, April 1, 1774

So I don't like to call them Christians because it is a play for the church. They were more true to being Deists than Christians in this sense.

But yes, this country was founded on the principles of Jesus. I believe the constitution is about the most divine form of government humanly possible as far as I can see. Of course, this would be in the way it is mean to be followed(I can explain in another post), not as it is used today. It is meant to be a form of limited government, not a document of limited rights. They use the general welfare clause as a loophole, when the general welfare is mentioned in the preamble and is in fact the part of the constitution which gives congress the power to uphold the amendments, as per the 10th amendment which was supposed to be a lock on the bill of rights(i can explain why it's a lock if needed). As the preamble is the part that defines the purpose of the constitution, where is says that part is to "promote" the general welfare is the amendments themselves. These amendments can be added to obviously and so on. So this is an area I'm also quite versed in as well.

Also, I think no coincidence this was done in Philadelphia and I have a sneaky suspicion that the constitution is the key of David that no man is able to close. They like to attack it, try to manipulate around it but they can't get rid of it outright thus far. It is mostly due to people who don't understand it and don't use that these things are allowed. Supposing it is something of a physical nature.

7 "And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write:
He who is holy, who is true, who has the key of David,
who opens and no one will shut, and who shuts
and no one opens, says this:

8 'I know your deeds. Behold, I have put before you
an open door which no one can shut, because you
have a little power, and have kept My word,
and have not denied My name.

So I don't think we are in much disagreement. But in these times when you call them Christians, it makes people think of the mainstream view of Christians, and that they most certainly were not. Especially when many like to call the founding fathers Christians as a way of trying to promote laws like gay marriage and so on, which go against the constitution and also the teachings of Jesus because it is not their place to judge.

[edit on 5-2-2009 by badmedia]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
1) Do you think faith/religion is here to control the masses?
Yes, since the begining of religion.
2) Why?
It was there to put people in their place, to make them believe in something so fairy-tale like, that they had the sheep of people devoted to this "God" all their lives. And yet, after y2k, people are still sheep to defend their precious religion.
3) Your evidence?
Observation, that's all I needed. Do you not see islam and christians, and how they jump to defend their god and religion, even if you say something so little that has fact? do you not see that? the evidence is here every single day. Go to an american jesus camp and see how brainwashed those people are. If religion was back like in the old days, people would be cast out by the religious cult or church and be burned alive for being a "sorceror" or satan..frankly, I don't believe in satan or hell either.
4) Did you once believe?
Yes, I was once a orthodox. I was even baptized at birth.
5) Did you change?
Yes, about 3 years ago.
6) Why are you an atheist?
I'm not an athiest.
7) Why are you an agnostic?
I'm not agnostic, I consider myself non-religious, but since this view is close to being non-religious, I'll tell you why. If there really was a god, then he would of gave the world peace, perfected us, and stopped us from evil in our so called "souls" . If there was a god, he'd punish my dead beat piece of # father and kill him. If there was a god, we wouldn't be having this discussion, or any conspiracy theory whatsoever, and we'd probably be dead since we made threads on him. If there was a god, I'd be able to see him, talk to him, watch passion of the christ with him (pun intended) lol. You see, I look back to y2k when christ and god were supposed to have the war of all wars with the devil on earth and his army, but what happened? nothing. People partied and had sex, there is no god, there is no bible, there is no 10 commandments, there is original sin, there is no moses, there is no magic because if I want to look for god, I'd play world of warcraft online. There is however, laws, evolution, space, disease, war, love, sex, drugs, governments, social clubs, and human nature.
8) Why you are a christian?
I'm not, and I never will be.
9) What ‘SHOULD‘ God look like/act like/be like?
God should be someone with power who controls the whole world, and we can see him, talk to him, and hear him make his speeches on the news, he can't be touched because he hides like a coward from a crowd and has high security protecting him. However, he is temporary and someone can kill him if they had the chance and then take the title. Oh and best of all, he's in reality and not in a children's story.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

People say that religion is here to control people because so many people use religion to control, not only themselves but others as well.

I don't believe religion was created to control people... religion is a natural sociological phenomenon... Yep... it's simply a scientific trait of humanity...

But it does create power through the sense of piety and righteousness.

This is why Jesus always rebuked the righteous and embraced the unrighteous.

We should do more of that in these days.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

2) Why?
3) Your evidence?
4) Did you once believe?
5) Did you change?

1) The idea of faith or religion is man made. It makes sense that people would create religion, whether real or not. Man has always searched for the truth, and religion, or the question of what else is out there and how we were created, is man's biggest question.
That being said, no, religion was not created to control the masses, because we all have our own idea of religion is, BUT, that doesnt mean that people did not create some religions to control people.
Look at lots of cults. The leader creates the religion and takes money from people.

2)Well, I guess I answered this is number one. I think some religions were made or manipulated to control people because its a great way to do it. If you tell people they will burn in eternal agony if they dont follow the rules and that a higher power told you this was true, then people may listen to you out of fear, especially back in the day when we supposably didnt know what we know today.
But no, religion as an idea is not here to control people, and many have a lot of merit to them.

3)Well, I think more physical evidence exists to show that some religions were manipulated or created than the religions themselves have to prove they are right. I suppose thats where "faith" comes in.
It all depends on which religion you want proof for. There are many of them out there and to write about all of them would take a while.
I guess the best evidence are the many ancient artifacts that exist proving that man is a lot older and was once more advanced than originally thought. The erasing of this information and disinfo to cover up many facts in our history could also lead one to believe that the same thing occurred with religion.

4)I do believe. I was once a Christian, I'm not anymore, but I still believe SOMETHING is out there. I have a good personal idea, though I'm sure that idea only scrapes the surface of whats really out there. I do look forward to finding out though.

5)Yes, I once believed in Christianity, now I'm rid of it.

6-8) My religion falls into none of those categories. I believe what I believe because of my many different adventures, journeys, and experiences I've had in life that have led me to what I am today. I think that theres a little truth in most religions out there, but I dont think we were put on this earth to really question it too much. We should all enjoy life, appreciate it's beauty, and live good lives. Treat everyone fairly and be nice to be nice. Whatever happens next, if you've lived a good life, youll be in the right place.

9)I, personally, can not even begin to fathom what god is or what he/she looks like. I think we have more steps after this life, and with each one we'll begin to know more and more.

These are, of course, just my opinions. Take what you will from them. I probably won't check back on this thread, but if you have any questions or ideas you would like to share, please, feel free to U2U me. I love hearing from new people and sharing ideas.

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
nope. religion is not to control people.it was never meant to. but what it has done and still doing is to mess up all of us.xtians , muslims, jews, hindus they all compete to exterminate one another.Evidence?
prima facie...right in our faces...we are all brought up with the culture or millieu with specific beliefs. that is staus qou.if i was born in asia mostly probably im a buddhist if in europe most probably xtian,baptist, methodist ,protestant,if middle east most probably i'll be a muslim...and regarding to your #9 querry? i think thats the basic premise of why there is such chaos in our planet today...

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
2) Why?
3) Your evidence?
4) Did you once believe?
5) Did you change?

1) Yes

2) The ruling class in this case the priest or whatever you wish to call them, used the concept of god and his wrath as a means to control those who would question their 'divine' rule/law/word, and their legitimacy as ruler. The church has always held much power, and the first rulers were priest-kings, one way to retain control was through fear of retribution by god or gods.

3) Medieval Europe/The Reconquista/Crusades/Jihads/The Inquisition(Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!) etc, etc, etc.

4) Yes I believed.

5) Yes I grew up and saw religion for what it is... a tool to control and exploit the masses.

6) I just can't "believe", the whole idea of a god who created everything from nothing seems a bit too much to grasp, and lets face it... that's the easy answer. As far as I know... us Humans love to do everything the hard way. I HATE easy answers (i.e. Deus Vult! God will's it!) when it concerns the universe, and humankind.

7) no

8) I was raised a Roman Catholic... I've gone through all the 'rites' I'm aware of, Communion, Confirmation, but thank GOD
my parents weren't strict Catholics.

9) The god I read about, was mainly from the Bible, who looks like a senile old man ready to pass on his inheritance money, but is willing to show his wrath when the time is right. But if I was to picture a god who created the universe... I'd have to picture everything and nothing at the same time.

That's my 0.02

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
2) Why?
3) Your evidence?
4) Did you once believe?
5) Did you change?

Great questions by the way.

1. Yes - here is why. Very shortly - if you would study psychology you will find that one part of your brain is responsible for reasoning, critical thinking... and the other part is involved in emotional responses, creativity...

Here is example how it works - if you convince someone that you are right about something without presenting any evidence, you have made them believe in something they have no proof of. Somehow you have managed to bypass their critical thinking and by telling colorful stories or putting fear in them or something else you have triggered some emotional response. This emotional response is enough for people to start to believe in things.

This is how the threat of terrorism works - the fear is put in your mind. If you would start to investigate, you would find out that more people die from cancer than from terrorism every year - there is literary no chance you will die from terrorist attack. Even though everyone believes - terrorism is enemy NO1.

2. This leads to the second point - this is why believing in anything is dangerous - you are manipulated into this state of belief without investigating. For me it is simple - either I know or don't know. I have not seen the god, so I simply don't know if it exists. To believe in it seems to me like a waste of time - any whatsoever story could be presented as evidence that there is invisible thing that exists and is punishing and rewarding us.

3. My evidence - plenty. I will give you just one example - watch this video.

4. Every one believes once - a child believes in everything, an elderly man does not believe in anything. The reason behind it is that critical thinking at birth is 0 and it slowly takes over the irrational part of the brain as you grow up and eventually many people just know things and do not relie on believing in anything.

5. See above.

6. As I stated - I rely on my critical thinking rather than believing - no evidence - no knowledge - atheism. I;m not gonna deny god if I will see him! Currently no evidence so far.

7. See above

8. I'm not a christian - I also think that people don't need religion to find evidence that god exists. It seems to me that religion has taken away your potentiality to find the evidence by claiming that they know more that you do - there is no such thing as knowing more.

9. If it does exists - it is everything around us - it manifests in reality - not as something we can't meet wile being alive - the concept of invisibility just sounds absurd - he exists and loves and punishes everyone and is so shy. What is he afraid of to show up then?

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
this is a long post, just thought id share my two cents in a very detailed manner:

religion, belief in God, belief in something with reasons and causes is absolutely essential to our future...

Religion is oftentimes used to control and contain your EMOTIONS. If everyone was united in love and would do unto other as you would want to be done to you...then as evolution would have it we would preserve our emotions because we would see no need to 'do something' about out of control emotions (COUGH outrage and emotional panic in the coming depression COUGH)

On the other hand...loss of religion+mathematical, materialistic, logical based era=evolution out of emotion through technology. Can you say, hello emotion restricting chip/constant medication/brain beam? why do you think the gray's are depicted as emotionless and cold and having silicon components (circuitry)....it's because they are geniuses but with a complete utter lack of spirit.

*Side note- if gray's are us from the future...it is possible others that are more emotionally evolved could also be in the future, but oppressed? A war from the future, in the present, for the future...whoa.

Anyway, If we let emotion and love evolve...if we can harness an evolved feeling and intuition complex....the universe would no longer be mathematical and decypherable, it would make sense to you by feeling and oneness. You would truly be free...think about all the movies of this concept...if God or whatever you want to call "it" can even generate chains of coincedence that lead to a thought that then leads to the creation of something say, the Matrix, is it too much to question that as destiny? After all, what if receptors (observers, or people) are meant to sometimes receive messages? Believe me when i tell you i have willed chains of coincedences to happen to the point of a probability approx. .00000000001%-...not by directly thinking about something happening, just being emotionally AND logically open to it. I think all this is is just a break down of time...but that's another story...

If you can agree that seeing the same unique symbol 10 times in a day after you just heard of it, newscasts saying exactly what you are thinking about three times in a day, multiple days in a week, being told you should do something over phone and then find 3 emails right at that time that tell you to do the thing you are being told to do by some random company spam, or feel like you're not alone and then have all the power surge and go out in your room, and no one else's...if you can agree that coincedences of that caliber and MANY more are too much to disregard, then we're on the same page.

it's your choice really.

for me...ive read plenty of quantum material, spirituality, religious ideals, etc. By this Ive come to the conclusion that conciousness and life is just a great collection of lessons learned that goes into some kind of collective Earth/universe conciousness construct/mainframe of which we are intertwined with. And when the time comes, the construct has a great upheavel or change, and decides to dump something for another in evolution. Only now being so concious, this is the ultimate decision for humanity. Do we continue our obssessive pursuit of 'god' as we try to decypher this construct, or do we evolve emotionally, or both?

I pray to whatever is watching that humanity can learn to control their fear, harness and convert their sadness, and magnify their love. Think about Star Wars even, the jedi were strongly intuitive through their feeling, but they contained their anger, and harnessed their sadness. The other side, the dark side, seems to be completely calculative and self-serving, it's almost as if they have no emotion left. Only in death do they realize it and make peace...(anakin).

Maybe this is a forewarning to those that choose a negative path of existence.

serenity my friends

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
2) Why?
3) Your evidence?
4) Did you once believe?
5) Did you change?

1) Yes

2) Because fear, shame, control and "sin" have been used as tools to manipulate the masses.

3)
Stages of control of Christianity in one's life:

* Becoming more and more preoccupied with church/bible study
* Excessive church attendance or reading bible
* Using church/bible/prayer to avoid life and/or problems
* Compulsive thinking about or quoting scripture

The above is the loss of control stage.

* Compulsive church attendance or quoting of scriptures
* Obsessive praying, witnessing, attending revivals and "crusades" o a frequent basis
* Excessive financial contributions
* Increasing dependence on "the Lord"
* Feelings of guilt if you miss a church function
* Refusal to think, doubt or question Christian teachings or authority
* Inability to sensibly discuss religious issues
* Church attendance, prayer and religious activities begin to interfere with work or school
* Feelings of powerlessness
* Preaching that sex is evil, dirty
* Feelings of shame over nudity, your body or the bodies of others
* Feelings of hatred or resentment towards others who have different beliefs
* Lengthy "crusades", mission work, communes
* Smiley mask- this is an advanced stage of Christianity (and other major religions - mainly the 3 big ones) where feelings are denied and an artificial pasty smile is worn at all times. This is blatant evidence of extreme denial
* Black and white simplistic thinking
* Strong feelings of low self esteem, shame, self hatred, blame.
* Excessive fasting or using food to "feed" other areas of your life that are seriously lacking
* Prosyletizing on the job= job loss
* Progressive isolation, breakdown of relationships
* Watching only religious programs on TV; excluding any non-religious programs
* Avoiding secular activities (entertainment, education)
* Inability to take any personal credit for achievments- always giving the credit to "the Lord"
* Not taking any personal responsibility, relying on "the Lord" to control your entire life
* Cries for help; mental, emotional, physical breakdown= hospitalization

One or more of the above indicates there is a serious problem. In order to find out if something is good or evil, we must give it power. This is what happens with progressive Christianity. In the end, there is no more personal identity. The victim becomes a shell and something else takes over.

I personally know people like the above-mentioned...

4) Yes, I once did

5) Yes!

6) I am not an Athiest

7) I don't consider myself an Agnostic

8) I am not a Christian

9) What ‘SHOULD‘ God look like: This question defeats itself, either something "is" or "isn't". In nearly every church there is a picture of God (or Jesus, same thing according to Christians). People often focus on this image, but it does not bring them any closer to God for it is remains a picture, nothing more. They are ignoring the spiritual aspects. Look in a mirror or under a rock and you'll see God (as in creator).

-act like/be like?: The creator of all is indifferent to everything. A Complex Equation that keeps the clockwork of the universe ticking. I am not saying there isn't a God or Gods, just that they are far from omnipotent.

Please take a look at this site, it also provides a lot of information exposing the NWO: www.exposingchristianity.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Yes

2) Why?
Because people who desire power will seek positions where people devote their heart to. This is the easiest way to control people...

3) Your evidence?
The Roman Catholic church in the dark ages, The Ancient Vedic tradition, The Egyptians, The Children of God cult, The Branch Dividians, Buddhist cults, Islamic cults, Hindu cults (hara krishnas for ex.)The Russian Orthodox, Mormons... the evidence is spread far and wide.... There is no doubt religions have been infiltrated by evil persons...

4) Did you once believe?

Hey, why paint it so you don't believe. I fully believe in God.

The great thing i admire about Jesus Christ is he attacked his own religion because of its hypocricy. He had a direct connection and that is what he came to teach in my opinion. Biblical Evidence:

5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners (or on the internet - my emphasis) to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father,

"Many will come forward but few will be chosen"

24Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me"
Matthew 16:24

27And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.
Luke 14:27 (New International Version)

10your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.

24"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.
(name a church that does not worship money)

A Tree and Its Fruit

15"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

(how many religions bare bad fruits?) Can you say your religion bares all good fruits?

33"Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit. 34You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. 35The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. 36But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. 37For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."

All in all the church crucified Christ and if Christ returned today it would be the Christian church that would crucify him today.

The Romans slowly took over early Christianity in order to control Europe. Constantine chose christianity because his mum was a Christian. He wanted the other half of Europe which was owned by his brother. How does a brother defeat his brother but through his mother? And he one. A Pagan created the New testament. That is hard solid fact. And i believe Jesus prophesied it in his words... The Parables got through... and so truth wind through...

Constantine was the first Emperor ever to have his head on a Roman coin in the face of a god (The pagan sun god) These coins are available today and are common knowledge. "Give to ceasaer what is his"
How can we define evil but listen to Jesus'
parables?

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   

I believe in the power of god

See 6

To me a Christian is a follower of Christ. Christ implicitly stated in very clear words that if you want to follow him you should give up all desire for wealth and follow him to the cross. I therfore have met many thousands of people who CLAIM to be a Christian. But have never actually met a real one. Like Jesus said "many will come forward but few will be chosen"

However he wants.

Thanks guys for contributing…and please answer the nine questions, ok?

OT

PS: I respect your thoughts…if you disagree, I will explain my point of view, fair?

Of course...

[edit on 4-2-2009 by OldThinker]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

This is why Jesus always rebuked the righteous and embraced the unrighteous.

We should do more of that in these days.

I second that!

Thanks for responding...

OT

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odessy
Treat everyone fairly and be nice to be nice. Whatever happens next, if you've lived a good life, youll be in the right place.

Thanks for responding to the thread...many good points...

The above one troubles me....I guess if it were up to me, I would have set things up this way...sounds logical....but I can't get away from the requirement for perfection...The father can not be in the presense of sin....and I certainly am not perfect....so I am screwed, so to speak...we all are....that's why Christ had to die....took our place and stuff...don't want to get too heavy...its early

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   

More wars were started because of religeon than anything else
and that's just for starters. And still continueing today full steam ahead.
People are discriminated based on their religeon, not necessarily by race
or country.

People allow their religeon to control their life. Religeon always comes
comes first, theres evidence of this everywhere. Some people I've known
donate 1/3 of their pay packet to the church.

People decorate their houses with religeous orniments everywhere, inside
and outside.

Islam and jews are just fanatics when it comes to religeon, by praying
up to 4 times a day. And eating only what is santioned in their little red
book.

Kids born into a religeous family have no say in the matter, you will go
to church!, and switching religeons to the rest of the family would be
sacrilege and becoming a Non-Believer is even worse.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Religion is a virus that kills more people than any other disease.
Show be exterminated as soon as possible without contemplation.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Engafan

That gets a star from me, as I am with ya on all accounts.

Wow, you are good at taking the words outta my mouth.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic_al

Kids born into a religeous family have no say in the matter, you will go
to church!, and switching religeons to the rest of the family would be
sacrilege and becoming a Non-Believer is even worse.

Remember as soon as the kids are born they are sinners, and for redemption you have to "do and live as they say".

I recall throughout the cold war, Americans hated the old soviet union, as communism dictated "do and live as we say".

Hmmm.

[edit on 6/2/2009 by Thistled]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Hey guys, I just got my laptop fixed and I'm finally able to get my daily dose of ATS. Although I only joined recently and haven't posted much I've been reading for a long time. Now that I got my laptop back I hope to participate more. That being said here are my answers.

1) Yes
2 &3) There has been more bloodshed/death/corruption over faith than anything else in history. There has almost been extreme cases of prejudice such as Prop 8 due to religion.
4) I was raised Catholic and yes still believe in a higher being. God if you will
5) I'm currently still young (20) and just want to figure out what I want to believe in and what "religion" truly speaks to me.
6) I am not an atheist
7) I don't like being categorized due to the fact that only creates more segregation and prejudice and hate.
8) Not a christian either.

9) Now that's a question. God is an idea. God is hope. God is faith. God is love. God is light. God simply is. What God looks like is whatever the individual wants God to look like to them. God is neither man nor women and to even give god humanistic characteristics is an insult to God. But IMO looking at God would look like the most beautiful sunset that ever was with bright colors that we can't even comprehend.

Anyway great questions and it feels good to be back

P.S. I left out the fact that idea of faith and hope that is what religion is supposed to stand for is great and I support that. Unfortunately this is not the case.

[edit on 6-2-2009 by JoeJuice]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Do you think faith/religion is here to control the masses?

parts of different organized religions are there to control people and to create power centers.

Outbreeding the enemy

Take a look at the information here about different religions and their calls to breed in large numbers.

Large numbers of people = power.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join