It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plucking?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I can't see that they will show this spoof? They may re-run the proper version of Rainbow but not this one. If I can draw your attention to the word 'apparently'? This does not seem to be based on anything concrete-just an assumption.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I've only watched the Rainbow clip but as I have fond recollections of Rainbow from my childhood I found this clip to be hilarious.

I found this which may explain the clip:

Back in the early days, before the days of VHS and now recordable DVDs etc the VT depts of both the BBC and ITV would make elaborate out-take, p*ss-take shows for sending out to their staff. The practice was stopped by the various TV managements once copies got out on Betamax and VHS around the early eighties for legal / taste reasons etc.

THE 'Twangers' clip was actually written by Roy Skelton, who not only voiced Zippy AND George, but was also a Dalek in many old Doctor Who stories.

It's a real tape with the real performers, but it was filmed as a joke and never intended for public consumption. There was a great tradition at the BBC and ITV companies of the videotape editing departments compiling tapes for their christmas parties - including clips with shows shot especially for the internal tape.

It was recorded in 1979, when the show had been running for several years.
It was never intended to be shown on TV. In fact, the sketch was performed simply for the amusement of the cast and crew, and would have been lost to history, were it not for the
OBA 1 Christmas tape put together by Thames TV engineers.

Rainbow Transcript

I'll watch the other clip when I have time.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ufo girl

Well that explains it than so everybody start "plucking your twanger"

Edit: new info took my intire point away...

Star for Koka...

[edit on 4/2/2009 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Son Of Liberty

I'm jealous ,*trying to locate my twanger*

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by invisiblewoman

oh well we can atleast "bang away all evening"....

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Koka

Mystery solved! Thanks!
I was gobsmacked for no reason!

I am officially not creeped out anymore.
Please MODS, delete this thread.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

Yeah here's more from wikipedia...

In 1979, the cast and crew of Rainbow made a special exclusive sketch for the Thames TV staff Christmas tape, sometimes referred to as the "Twangers" episode. This show featured plenty of deliberate sexual innuendo (beginning with Zippy peeling a banana, saying "One skin, two skin, three skin, four..." before being interrupted), and never shown at the time (as it was never intended to be screened to the general public.) It also included Geoffrey convincing the viewers to play with their balls, but if they didn't have any balls, they could ask a friend and play with his. Jane also claimed that she was banging with Rod and Roger. Soon, Zippy asked them to stop suggesting whether to play with a blowing tube and maraccas, so they could start singing the 'Plucking Song'.
The clip became famous after being aired on Victor Lewis-Smith's Channel 4 programme TV Offal (1997) and was jokingly referred to as "the pilot episode", which it clearly wasn't as Geoffrey Hayes was presenter at the time. The clip has become widely-spread, first in emails as an attachment and later via online video websites such as YouTube. This has led to many erroneous claims that the episode was publicly broadcast as a regular episode.
TV Offal also broadcast some very risqué material featuring members of the cast as guests on a variety show hosted by comedian Jim Davidson in the 1980s; the sketch in question, which featured former children's TV presenter Tommy Boyd, asking a question about Adam and Eve. Boyd and Davidson used some profanities in the sketch, along with some innuendo from George (presumably again not intended for broadcast like the above), but the most shocking moment was when Zippy exclaimed to Geoffrey: "The #ing Garden of Eden!" This sketch would in all likelihood have been filmed during rehearsals.
Comedian Bobby Davro also parodied Rainbow as a comedy sketch in his own TV series in the early-1990s, playing the part of Geoffrey alongside exaggerated versions of Bungle and the puppets, which contained some mild sexual innuendo. Davro had appeared in a regular edition of the show, in which he performed impressions of the characters in front of them.
While never explicitly adult, most interviews featuring Zippy and George since the show's demise commonly portray them as somewhat more edgy in terms of personality. For example, in an episode of SMTV Live they call Bungle an, "Idiotic, blundering creature."

Source

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I wanted to play with my balls ,but turns out I don't have any

wait a minute !? my dog has balls! *be right back*

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
When I was a kid, the talking bear scared me!

While this is the adult spoof - the actual programme was well trippy.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
Okay, this may have been posted, but I haven't seen it!
What was up with this old show from (somewhere)???

Did you watch this as a child?
REALLY WEIRD subliminal messages apparently!!!!

This can't be real.

Either the writers were really having a lot of fun coming up with the double entendres or they were making a show to entertain the children right along with the adults.

You know; more bang for their buck

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn

You know; more bang for their buck

hahahahaha ! there you go again ! gosh it's way easier that I thought

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
What an excellent example of how our thoughts and experiences affect what we see and hear.

An innocent child will see and hear no more than a group of people being silly and having fun.

Us much older and degenerate old coots see and hear something a bit more risqué.

Everything that we see or hear is polluted by our experiences and the things that we have been taught to believe. I think that is why it so hard sometimes for people to see eye to eye on anything and why compromise is king.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

No, it WAS risque.
A tawdry joke among the actors, writers and producers!
It was never meant for children.

I thought it was shown on TV and that's why I was freaking out about it and posting it here.
Anonymous and Koka found the info on it, though.
Thanks again, people!

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies

No, it WAS risque.
A tawdry joke among the actors, writers and producers!
It was never meant for children.

I thought it was shown on TV and that's why I was freaking out about it and posting it here.
Anonymous and Koka found the info on it, though.
Thanks again, people!

Of course it was risqué!

Now ask yourself would it have been risqué if you did not have the maturity to read between the lines?

No. An innocent mind only can see innocence even in the heart of iniquity.

It is our exposures to that which is corrupt that allow our minds to recognize it; thus innocence is lost.

I understand your post and the lighthearted manner in which it was shared and got quite a chuckle from it but it did also cause me think a bit deeper.

Thanks for the post and the chuckle.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Your welcome!
This is why I love ATS.
Because you can post on a plethora of topics and minds here can come together and discover the facts!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join