It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington Lobbying Grew to $3.2 Billion Last Year, Despite Economy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Washington Lobbying Grew to $3.2 Billion Last Year, Despite Economy

www.opensecrets.org

While companies across the board were losing record amounts of money and laying off employees last year, at least one industry seemed to weather the recession: lobbying. Special interests paid Washington lobbyists $3.2 billion in 2008, more than any other year on record and a 13.7 percent increase from 2007....the Center calculated that interest groups spent $17.4 million on lobbying for every day Congress was in session in 2008, or $32,523 per legislator per day.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.opensecrets.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Judicial Watch - Obama White House is Lobbyist Haven
Obama Orders $500,000 Limit on Executive Pay
Obama says no lobbyists - then appoints one!

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Now this is just sick.
$32,523 per legislator per day???

How about we OUTLAW lobbying in Washington all together, so that these rich interest groups have no further advantage over any other group??? And limit their influence through other ways as well! Give everyone a fair chance.

And in the middle of this, Obama sits there promising one thing and delivering another! SOS, different day! My God where does this end? Can some portion of the responsibility for this economic meltdown be laden in these interest groups who knowingly lobby Washington for their interests while turning a blind eye to a crumbling nation before its feet?

Had that lobbying money been spent in retaining jobs at home, and training/advancement for employees, as well as any other number of useful, more pertinent expenditures- maybe it could have helped.

But no. Got to get the big boys in pocket. Grease, grease, grease my palm baby, no matter what the cost. Yeah well die.

Just take a look at the chart since 1998:

www.opensecrets.org...

And then this?

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce remained the #1 spender on lobbying in 2008, spending nearly $92 million--more than $350,000 every weekday, and a 73 percent increase over 2007--to advocate for its members' interests. Pro-business associations as a whole increased their lobbying 47 percent between '07 and '08.

The US Chamber of Lobby. :shk: Man, we got to fix this.

www.opensecrets.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

How about we OUTLAW lobbying in Washington all together,

My good friend, that would be unconstitutional in the eyes of our politicians.

They are in Congress to take away our rights and benefits, not their own.

Keep saying stuff like this and they may try you for treason.

On a serious note.

They spent 3.2 billion, so how many times that do you think they brought in?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
They spent 3.2 billion, so how many times that do you think they brought in?

Well yeah, good point!

It's working for them though, not the rest of us. Money should only be allowed to talk to a point. But right now the almighty dollar has overcome sanity to the point of insanity.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
My good friend, that would be unconstitutional in the eyes of our politicians.

Lol, you might be kidding, but many a truth is said in jest! And this is no doubt one of them to me. If influence from a church is limited in the constitution, then why is influence from corporate and other lobbies tolerated? I thought the idea of this government was to be as neutral as possible?

One answer: MONEY. That's what it all comes down to.

They are in Congress to take away our rights and benefits, not their own.

More jest, but more truth
The constitution seems convenient as an ideal until it doesn't fit with their agenda. If constitutional jurisdiction was overseen by the much more impartial GAO instead of a bought and paid for Supreme Court, this country would be in a lot less of a mess than it is. Either that or fire the entire Supreme Court, and severely limit terms.

Keep saying stuff like this and they may try you for treason.

Oh, I have resigned my self to the red list long ago. No hope here of ever escaping that.

new topics

top topics

join