It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Catastrophe coming if Congress doesn't act

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – Republicans tried to push back against the ballooning size of President Barack Obama's economic recovery plan Wednesday, even as he warned that the financial crisis will turn into "a catastrophe" if the bill isn't passed quickly.
Obama summoned centrist senators to the White House Wednesday afternoon to discuss a plan to cut more than $50 billion in spending from the measure, which breached the $900 billion barrier in the Senate on Tuesday and appears headed higher.

"A failure to act, and act now, will turn crisis into a catastrophe and guarantee a longer recession, a less robust recovery, and a more uncertain future," Obama said in his prepared remarks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Are you kidding me? A catastrophe? Did he take a "Bush Fear Tactics" class?

The catastrophe will be if this passes. The catastrophe will be sticking our children and grandchildren with more debt because this generation is ignorant and refuses to take any responsibility for anything.

Seriously how can anyone support this crap? I'm not scared of what will happen if they don't pass it, I'm afraid of what will happen if they do.

If they want to pass some spending bills....hmm...why don't they do something intelligent like...CUT SPENDING ELSEWHERE to offset the whole thing.

Meanwhile, Congressmen are making 175,000 a year, flying around in jets. CEO's are making millions of dollars and also flying around in jets. What's the real difference? Many congressman are rich anyway.

If someone can find it, I'd like to see what each Congressmen is worth.

Let's see how many MILLIONARES have seats in Congress right now.

I am further disgusted each day by what our government is doing. How long is everyone willing to keep putting up with this?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I agree completely. The 'stimulus' package will be the disaster for this country. We can't deficit-spend our way out of this problem. At best, it'll just kick the problems down the road a few years, and at such time, it'll be even worse.

And yes, I wish that Bush...I mean Obama...would stop with the fear-mongering. At some point, all of the negativity becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. All this talk of catastrophe will have the public adopting a bunker mentality when it comes to their money, which will just make matters worse. Unlike the federal government, the public DOES need to be spending, as consumer demand is the driving force of the economy.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

We all know polls are inaccurate, but i did hear that public support is dropping dramatically for this thing..down to 37 percent in the latest rasmussen poll.

I hope it continues.

People need to come to there senses!

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

You Know I didn't vote for Obama, but I sincerely hoped he would do a better job than Bush. However it would seem they both had the same professor in economics 101.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I am still trying to figure out how he is going to fix that protectionism clause so that the world will like us. The only way he could do that is to veto the bill he is calling for. From this urgency he expresses, I gather he doesn't care what the world thinks. he is ready to sign the bill and deal with them later. 900 billion dollars of pork.

Guess he learned some things from Bush after all.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Hasn't Congress proven in the past that they aren't real concerned with what we think or how we feel?

They will pass this spending bill and when nothing happens to stimulate the economy, they will act like they didn't realize what they were doing.

Status quo....

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Yes, the last bailout worked, so let's throw more money intro the fray.
I love knowing that I have to pay into taxes this year and that money is going to go into the pocket of someone that doesn't care about me, doesn't know I exist and furthermore is willing to take money out of my pocket to line his or her own.

So let's keep giving money to these companies that dug their own grave. Or I just had a better idea. Let's issue some credits of this bailout to every person in the US and force them to pay off existing debt with it -- guarantee thats better than anything they've come up with yet.

Oh wait, nevermind, since my bill ideal doesn't benefit the crooks we'll never see a change from degredation of what we used to call life.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I know we're in bad times and I agree with what most in this thread have said. I do hope though, that this stimulus package will help. I geuss that he'ss trying but hes only been in for a bit. I'm gonna give his shmeal because I really supported him.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

"Let's see how many MILLIONARES have seats in Congress right now."

Let's see how many were made IN congress...as well.

I am in the same boat, thought-wise, and share your concerns.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The catastrophe has already happened, it is only now that we are starting to feel the horrific fallout from what has already taken place.

Bailout or no bailout...whats done has been done. This second bailout is just a ploy to make it appear to the American sheeple that our government is actually feigning an attempt to prevent what is already in motion.

A clever way to hijack the last few dollars from the dried up financial tit, sort of like picking the pocket of a dead man.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
of course hes saying there will be a "catastrophe" if the bill doesnt pass. they said the same thing when the first bill didnt pass, and it worked! congress was threatened with martial law and the economy would completley impload if congress didnt pass the bill. fear tactics work

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Hasn't Congress proven in the past that they aren't real concerned with what we think or how we feel?

You are exactly right. After all the opposition to the original bailout bill, it still passes with LOADS OF PORK.

And they will do it again. We are going to get screwed again!!!

ANd what's next after the stimulus bill?? Another bank bailout is in the works!

GREAT!!!

I guess the government figures if they keep KICKING YOU IN THE TESTICLES over and over eventually you will go numb and not feel it anymore.

I've pretty much lost all faith and trust with our politicians. Idiots!! Freakin idiots!!

Trillions of dollars being spent. Why don't we just burn in it!! That's basically what they are doing to it anyway!

We are all going to have to apologize to our offspring. We are letting it happen. They will look at us and say "What the hell were you thinking?"

The future generations will look at all of us as idiotic greedy scumbags who only cared about themselves.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by pyrytyes

"Let's see how many MILLIONARES have seats in Congress right now." Let's see how many were made IN congress...as well. I am in the same boat, thought-wise, and share your concerns.

Does anyone know wehre this information can be obtained?

I would LOVE to see it. I'm doing a search for it now..no luck yet.

Bah..Catastrophe!?!? Why don't we take all of their damn money. They want to spend so much why don't the politicians foot the entire bill themselves...they have a hell of a lot more money than I do!

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
I've pretty much lost all faith and trust with our politicians. Idiots!! Freakin idiots!!

They're not really idiots persay, about 80% of politicians are criminals, and about 50% of the 80% are criminals because somebody's got something hanging over their head and if they don't go along with the system, that "something" is going to come out in the media.

That's how most of these politicians are hand-picked in the first place and subsequently have their campaigns funded.

Peace

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
WOW, Obama shows weakness on the international front by backing down on the "Buy American" theme for the stimulus, now he plays the Bush scare tactic game.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

The man can't even nominate people who DON'T cheat on their taxes. He has NO CLUE about economics - he even admitted this during the campaign trail.

No wonder 6 states have bills reaffirming the 10th amendment, 44 to go

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
When I read this post together with the article " California farms, vineyards in peril from warming, U.S. energy secretary warns"., I was wondering didn't we just elect a new President at the cost of several billion? This sounds pretty much like the fearmongering from the previous President. Maybe it's time we elected a president on his ability rather than how much he can fundraise?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

The catastrophe has already happened, it is only now that we are starting to feel the horrific fallout from what has already taken place.

Bailout or no bailout...whats done has been done. This second bailout is just a ploy to make it appear to the American sheeple that our government is actually feigning an attempt to prevent what is already in motion.

A clever way to hijack the last few dollars from the dried up financial tit, sort of like picking the pocket of a dead man.

I agree with most of that and I wonder if people forgot about what happened or have they been brainwashed into only thinking of the last two weeks? The worst president ever put the cherry on top with the worst presidential handoff ever and people wonder why Obama looks so tired? We weren't dreaming folks - the last eight years really happened.

I'll even throw in 8 years of Clinton, 4 of Bush 1 and 8 of Reagan to the mess. 28 years of deregulation to boost business. Worked out great huh?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

I believe Bush and Paulson used the exact same threat of "catastrophe" the first time around. They went before Congress and made a plea to the American people that we would all be doomed if the mega bailout wasnt passed within days. So it was passed.

So what happened to that plan? Where did those trillions of dollars end up going? The Fed chairman wont even give us a hint as to where it was placed or how it was used. Evidently we were good enough to sacrifice our pensions and our own financial needs in order to save the economic future of our country ...but we arent good enough to even garner a decent explanation as to where all of that money went.

This mess was started during the Clinton administration and George W. Bush managed to put the final nails in the coffin, but if anyone out there is naive enough to believe that Barak Obama wasnt brought in as a smiling face that would administer the death blow then you have been misled.

Obama has taken the baton from Bush and is off and running, it is almost like the crooks changed control of power and never even missed a step. It is now ever so apparent that there are no party lines, only one conjoined gang of blood suckers working together under the guise of a two party system.

It is also my opinion that Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and Barney Frank are three of the most dangerous and poisonous individuals to ever serve in an elected office. We, the American people, went from the frying pan and into the fire with this gang of vultures.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

:shk: Oh freak'n brother. The non-stimulus package will do NOTHING for us except create a bigger debt. It's freak'n ignorant and anyone who buys into this 'catastrophe if you don't pass what I want' is nutz.

Same crap from another stink'n politician. No change.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join