It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Offers "Latitude" To Track People

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Google Offers "Latitude" To Track People

www.cbsnews.com

(CBS) Google is releasing free software Wednesday that enables people to keep track of each other using their cell phones.

She says "Latitude" uses GPS systems and what's called cell tower triangulation to do the job. The software seeks the closest three cell towers and, with GPS, combines the data to show where someone is.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.google.com
youtube.com

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Is this really technology that we need?
I mean seriously.
Listen to the lady on the Youtube video list all of the reasons that we need this software.
Like "being able to make sure mom and dad made it home safe from their trip"
WTF OVER?????
I am able to make sure mom and dad made it home safly from their trip right now without spying software. I just pick up the phone and ask them "hey, did you make it home ok"???

Wake up people. If this is the technology being released to the slaves then What in the world do you think our masters have?

People love tobe led to the slaughter. They are endlessly facinated with technology and gadgets.
I told my wife about this and showed her the video and she said "cool".
What??? Cool??? for who???
This is not "Cool".
God Help us All!!!

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Both parties have to agree to use it.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
This technology is completely unacceptable.

Surely it constitutes a breach of privacy -

It will cause mahem - spouses spying on each other / parents spying on kids / employers spying on employees.

They want to introduce a spying culture to mirror their own - it will cause fewer complaints about their actions if we are busy spying on each other.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
the technology already exists and is freely available, this is why google can offer it for free. how can you be on ATS and not know this type of thing is really easy?

oh, and don't worry about that little beacon sitting on you dash board telling you where to go, it can't possibly be used to locate you!!!

[edit on 4/2/09 by pieman]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
This isn't new technology. Its just new because a company now made it available to normal folks. Military and Law Enforcement have been using this for a long time. My opinion is if your that much of a stalker you need help..lol.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I wonder if the chip in my credit card can talk to the chip in my cellphone. Do they get loney if they get separated? I mentioned this on another thread, but may as well here too since it's more appropriate:

Track them people! I predict divorce goes up, trust goes down, targeted crime goes up, and law enforcement emergency access to these networks go up.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This is not shocking news at all. It seems like every new cell phone coming out has a GPS chip embedded in it. This has some great applications and is indeed very useful. However, the room for corrupt uses of this are overwhelming.

RFID + GPS Cell Phones = Big Brother

Combine this with the ever increasing number of public cameras (CCTV) will result in a state where one cannot live privately.

Some would argue, "well, only the people doing something wrong have something to fear", and this is true. However, the definition of what is "wrong" is completely subjective and open to interpretation. What YOU might define as wrong and what I define as wrong might be completely different from what the GOVERNMENT says is wrong.

Do like I do, get the best phone you can find w/o a GPS. It sucks if you are prone to getting lost, but you can make due... or do what they did in the olden days and ask someone for direction.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by kawz1
Do like I do, get the best phone you can find w/o a GPS. It sucks if you are prone to getting lost, but you can make due... or do what they did in the olden days and ask someone for direction.

It doesn't matter whether or not your phone has GPS, you can be located through cell tower triangulation just as easily. If you have a cell phone, you are already lojacked.

Funny how this stuff brings out the paranoia in everyone.

"If you aren't paranoid, you aren't paying attention."

After thinking about it, I just downloaded the app to my blackberry. Maybe I can now find myself.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by xman_in_blackx]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Okay guys calm down.

Google doesn't have this form of access to the cell network.

Okay, what the CIA, FBI etc do to triangulate you is to tap into the cell network, and triangulate your position via the strenghts picked up by the towers themselves.

What Google is doing is actually quite different, and no, they can't spy on you unless you're running the program.

The program, (which you have to purposely install, configure, and keep running in order for this to work) pays attention to the comm array in your phone. The program triangulates and calculates the distance of the towers from it. Once calculated, it then uploads your position to Google.

Without that program installed, configured, and running, Google doesn't have a clue where you are.

To add more, the program has 3 main modes.
1: Continuous calculation of triangulation and uploading to Google.
2: Manually set your location, and turn off the triangulation.
3: Don't send Google your location at all.

Google doesn't have the ability to spy on the cell networks like this.
You're simply voluntarily telling Google where you are via this software you can get from them.

No spying involved.

new topics

top topics

join