It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia says it wants to help US in Afghanistan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I understand what you mean. But what I am saying is that at this point Russia has a lot more oil/gas initiatives of its own that its having a hard time to fund. Afghanistan is still far too volatile to make its location and resources a viable factor in the ongoing conflict.

Maybe Russia is taking a long-term approach to this of course - who knows. But at this point the US is still the dominant power in Afghanistan, and will not step aside for Russia. I think these new developments have more to do with Russia wanting military cooperation with US, rather than about energy. If it was about energy Russia would be eyeing Iraq and Iran, not Afghanistan.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by maloy]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

You are making a joke, right???

Iran, which funds and trains terrorits guarding a border for NATO?????

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
It is not surprising that the West is "apprehensive" about a goodwill gesture from Russia.

In recent times all Russia has done is threaten and saber rattle to the west (Putin)

I am also suspect at the timing, just as Kyrgyzstan wants the US base closed, the next day this???

I don't disagree that a stable Afganistan "IS" good for Russia and all the states between them.

My questions are just what kinda help do they want to provide????

What do they want/expect in return for it????

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Well Saddam Hussen was supposed to be in charge of The UN disarmament board while his country was supposed to be disarmed by the Un.Iraq to Chair U.N. Disarmament Panel

"This is ridiculous. It's like the fox watching over the hen house," Fossella said. "Iraq has zero credibility to disarm any nation when it stands in violation of U.N. resolutions because it continues to develop weapons of mass destruction. This decision will leave a permanent stain on the conference, undermine its credibility and threaten its mission to disarm nations that possess nuclear weapons."

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Well Saddam Hussen was supposed to be in charge of The UN disarmament board while his country was supposed to be disarmed by the Un.Iraq to Chair U.N. Disarmament Panel

"This is ridiculous. It's like the fox watching over the hen house," Fossella said. "Iraq has zero credibility to disarm any nation when it stands in violation of U.N. resolutions because it continues to develop weapons of mass destruction. This decision will leave a permanent stain on the conference, undermine its credibility and threaten its mission to disarm nations that possess nuclear weapons."

\
That was a bad idea.

Having Iran putting a dagger in your your back, er covering your back would be even worse.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
According to a speech on economics given by Professor Michel Chossudovsky - Director for the Centre for research on Globalisation, the Afgan drugs trade is booming.

They produced 182 tonnes per year - which has risen to over 6500 tonnes since the US troops moved in

This equates to approximately $200 billion per year - A good enough reason for Russia to want to muscle in !

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
If the taliban steps up with their attacks and bomb the supply routes, the US/Nato/UK are gona make a run for it on their choppers while the russians may face another Soviet style Battering.

I really don't know why every nation wants to occupy afghanistan, its just got a loda mountains and poppy farms.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by merkava

You just have to think back to Iran/Contra illegal drugs unregulated money illegal gun smuggling and terrorist oh and don't forget the covert government opperations that controlled it all.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I think Russia is trying to make initiatives to increase cooperation with the U.S. in order to give it more leverage over us politically. To them, this would be an opportunity to get us to abandon missile shields in Europe and end our apparent policy of surrounding Russia with U.S. allies.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by suziwong
According to a speech on economics given by Professor Michel Chossudovsky - Director for the Centre for research on Globalisation, the Afgan drugs trade is booming.

They produced 182 tonnes per year - which has risen to over 6500 tonnes since the US troops moved in

This equates to approximately $200 billion per year - A good enough reason for Russia to want to muscle in !

You took the words right outta my mouth, suziwong

All those opium poppies and Afghani hash...

res

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by maloy
If it was about energy Russia would be eyeing Iraq and Iran, not Afghanistan.

I'm thinking more along the lines of that they are aware of something the rest of us sheople are not. They know something we don’t and this gives them and most involved an opportunity to get rid of the Taliban so the rest of the world can get busy making money.

Think about it why would Russia even consider this? I mean after the butt kicking the Soviets got in there why stick their necks out unless there is something of value?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Sure, it is about money. It is ALWAYS about money, but this could be a win win for everyone involved. We need to warm up our relationship with Russia because we both want the same thing in the end.

In my opinion, anything which could get us to stop pointing nukes at one another would be a goood thing.

There is nothing wrong a relationship of mutual respect. It is so much better than posturing and sabre rattling.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I don't think we're in a position to refuse help when its offered to us. Even if we were, why would we?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join