It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brown's depression claim 'a slip'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Brown's depression claim 'a slip'

news.bbc.co.uk

The Conservatives have called on Gordon Brown to clarify his remarks suggesting the world was in a depression.
At prime minister's questions he told MPs: "We should agree as a world on a monetary and fiscal stimulus that will take the world out of re.. depression."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

* Copy the exact headline of the story into the headline field, don't make one up or sensationalise it. Submissions with inaccurate, biased or otherwise deceptive headlines may be moved, closed or deleted.

[edit on 2/4/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
According to the British Prime Minister, during House of Commons question time, he suggested the world was in a "global depression."

The British media were shocked, stunned and alarmed by this bold claim - the IMF have never spoke of a depression. Was this a slip of the tongue or has the Prime Minister seen figures beyond public sight and knowledge?

Eastern Europe, the Irish Republic and Iceland have been placed on IMF warning lists for potential depression -and economic collapse- but the world is claimed to be safe.

The markets haven't been spooked by these words, yet.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-2-2009 by infinite]

[edit on 2/4/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
The British media were shocked, stunned and alarmed by this bold claim - the IMF have never spoke of a depression. Was this a slip of the tongue or has the Prime Minister seen figures beyond public sight and knowledge?

Here we go. Many times I have said on this forum that it wouldn't take long for them to start speaking about a depression. First it was a recession, then it became a crisis, then a severe crisis and now we've reached the definition of depression, which was inevitable, in my opinion.

This Brownie seems to be quite ''progressive'' to speak about 'depression' and a 'new world order'. Not many other officials have talked about such things as for now

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Yeah I saw pm's question time today and no doubt crash gordon knows it's the mother of all depressions.How can it NOT be? Everybody in the commons knows it to be the case but I suppose the poor old joe public out there can't have hope taken away.What's happening now is mirroring exactly the last great depression --I'm starting to stockpile tinned food cos It's going to be a very precious commodity.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
We wouldn't accept the new proposal if the old one still worked would we? he has to well and truly trounce the other one before his new idea will have a hope of going through. I am a bit surprised he used this word though, maybe he was hoping it would hit the market?

Oh well, only time will tell.

EMM

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
forgot to say It made me laugh when Mcbroon had a go at Cameron talking down the british economy and then came out with the D word himself!The guy is such a tosspot.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectroMagnetic Multivers

bit confused-why would he want to hit the markets? Am I missing something here?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
wow shock horror!!

the world is in a global depression!!

no, the world just ran out of one way how to scam the poor labour force...

Dont worry im sure they will come up with another way to # us over.. AGAIN.

Pay not attention to this claptrap..

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by uk today

Let's not forget that Crash Gordon is the first PM in the history of the UK not to have been elected in. Add to that his cancellation of the last general election. And during his reign as both Chancellor of the Exchequer and PM he has presided over some of the worst and viscious policy my generation has known: the pensions fiasco and university charges being but two of his bludgeonings aimed at the young and the old.

He's cleary an instrument (and knows it) of the unravelling of the old world order. Nevertheless, maybe today he got something right.

If only we were educated at school level that if enough people petition in this country, a general election can be demanded at any time. Where's ourband of brothers, we pitiful many?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Catesby

Let's not forget that Crash Gordon is the first PM in the history of the UK not to have been elected in. ?

He's at least the third unelected prime minister we've had - Alec Douglas-Home and Jim Callaghan weren't elected either. Those are the ones who, when they did call an election, went and lost. There have been others who stepped into office without being elected but went on to win an election later.

Not that I agree with it by any means.

Heh.. looks like there are other parallels with Callaghan as well as not being elected - like he left it too late before calling an election and the economy took a nose dive.
But then Brownie boy suffers from delusions of grandeur, so maybe he thinks he will get elected when the time comes. I reckon that other slip of the tongue - the one about saving the world - that came out of his mouth cos it was in his head - he really does think he has the answers. God help us...

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
How on earth can it be a "slip of the tongue", when he actually corrected himself, from saying recession.... to depression.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
It wasnt - he meant to say depression. Its not even started yet as it is only just starting to fettle down to our level. Lets see how we are two years from now and then see if they deny its a depression.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Tommorow he will probably call it a boat.
Politicians have never been known for being smart.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
The world media has picked up this comment too...

French and America press are covering this breaking news.

new topics

top topics

join