It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you do if??

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
Immediately running for the woods is a short term solution to a long term problem. You'll just end up being colder, hungrier, and a lot more exhausted than you need be. So stay put, and enjoy the comforts of home before you no longer have the luxury of doing so.

If the emergency causes martial law to be declared and the national
guard is mobilized in most states, your movements may be restricted
and you may be taken into custody if you are "thought" to have
been part of an altercation over food, water, fuel, or whatever.

If the guard sees visible tension between you and other ppl,
they may just load you both up as trouble makers.

If the jails and prisons are full you will likely be taken to one of the
new FEMA camps.

So my plan is to leave before, rioting, looting, burning, and
national emergencies are declared.

A lot of ppl are going to defend their pile of sticks ( 2 x 4's ) and
a lot of them are going to be ok in the good neighborhoods.

If you have a neighborhood watch or association and you are on
good terms with all of your nearby neighbors and can get on the
same game plan, you got a good shot at being fine at home.

I do not live in a good neighborhood, so my advice is due to me
owning a foreclosure house in a rough part of town.

If I knew martial law would not happen, and I knew no morons
would riot and burn like they did in LA then I'd lean more towards
your plan.

But of course, to each his own, and best of luck to you.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

Everyone's circumstances are different, so plan ahead and do what you feel most comfortable with. In your situation, leaving before the real chit hits the fan sounds like a good idea. I grew up in a large city myself, and I know peaceful cooperation between neighbors would be wishful thinking (Think Titanic sinking bow first..).

Thankfully I live in a rural, on a dead end road, with practically all my close neighbors being in-laws.

Best of luck to you as well should the worst happen.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I work at a power plant, as a result I would have to go to work. Things would only get much worse if the lights went out at the same time as the banks closed their doors. It may sound corny but some times things are more important than what we want to do. Besides if I didn't show up for work there would be Nevada National Guard dragging me back to work. On the upside they would make sure that I had MRE's to eat and I wouldn't have to drive myself to work. On the down side I don't think that the pay would be very good. Hey I wouldn't have to report to a FEMA camp ether! I don't think I could get fired! Man this looks like it might work, I could be an indentured servant for the rest of my life, no more taxes!

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
What would I do if currency collapsed?
Well since the dollar just tanked, I would take tomorrow off. I'm being serious. What is the use of going to work for the man if the man can't pay up?

Relax, and assess the situation. Get my list of priorities in order, plot scheme and make ends meat. Business as normal, just a different contingency plan is all.

Would it be tough you ask?
Undoubtably so, it would depend on the severity of course.

And
I would keep quiet, so as not to alarm the masses or undermine my efforts.

Therefore I won't go into detail about the who's what's and why's.

Carry on,
T-

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
1. Stop paying my mortgage. Screw the banks.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by griffinrl
My wife and I are lucky enough to live on 4 acres of land...most of it wooded. We also have a 50 ft greenhouse and a similar sized garden next to it. I have an M4 rifle and tons of ammo. Eventually it all boils down to an individuals will to survive. I think this tendency or will has been "bred" out of humans over the past few generations.

If your area is calm and unaffected by natural disaster and population upheaval then you are set. I have a neighbor who goes into their unheated hoophouse and harvests greens all winter long. -15 F is no problem. You just harvest when its nice and warm in there in the middle of the day.

I don't have all that stuff, don't have a gun, but once things warm up again the garden is coming on full force this year. I might get some seeds this weekend since I'm going into town.

Where I live people are pretty self reliant and come to the aid of their neighbors. I'm sure there are other areas of the country and world that are similar. Big cities? no thanks. I was there for Y2K and even though nothing happened I could see what would.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR1159
1. Stop paying my mortgage. Screw the banks.

This would make my life so much easier. I think they would have no way to enforce payments on the great multitude already living paycheck to paycheck. I'm in way too much debt.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Howdy neighbor!

I thought that was you.

Well even if you aren't my neighbor our situations are the same and I pray that survival will win over fear, hate and greed.

One can only hope because with enough time provisions and ammunition will run out.

Let us pray that time doesn't.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I wonder are there many other people in my situation.

I camp regularly, alone and in the winter. I spend most weekends outdoors on my own, keeping up my fire building and wilderness survival skills. The problem is I live in an apartment in canada, which means no guns, and no matter how well I stock on food and water, I don't feel safe on someone elses land. I could buy a house but taking on 250k of debt right now is probably not safe thinking.

What do other apartment dwellers have planned if # hits the fan and a heavy depression hits? Bug out to the woods? Stay with family?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
My country has "euros"..

and I don't have many to lose anyway.. double

Bank machines are for bank cards, guess what...I don't use one.

I have a large and deep well on my property so I have nice, cold, filtered fresh water whenever.

I have a great supply of tins and a good sized vegetable garden.

Not much would change for me would it?

Bring it on!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I am not sure what I would do. I live in a nursing home right now. I would hope that the heat is paid till the end of the month and that they can still get food from government assistance.

If I weren't here I would be a paralyzed person who really couldn't garden for themselves but hope to have enough can goods and prepackaged meals and that my health care worker is coming to help out if I were to need them. Plus I hope someone brings me some fresh veggies from their garden to be kind.

[edit on 2/5/2009 by bigvig316]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I also live in an apt in Canada.
No guns means crossbow or a bow and arrow.
My plans are to get out of the city and trek thru the bush for the first week.
My family knows if it happens in winter then we can't meet up until the spring as my location is remote.
Also I will be heading 100kms one way while they go 50 kms the other way.
Find a friend with a cottage or cabin and make plans with them.Your food needs to be stocked there and not in the city.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I am not faulting anyone for taking care of their own and you have to be able to take care of self before you can take care of others but do you plan to remain separated from all others for as long as you live?

Isolation may provide an illusion of safety but do you really want to live in a world where you have to keep yourself and your family hidden forever.

I wonder if this is how Bigfoot became a legend.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Being isolated and being separated from others is different.I never said I was going to be alone.
As far as being able to take care of myself first,I have gone out in the woods alone for a week just for fun.
Don't worry about my skills worry about your own.
Its not that I want to live in a world where we have to be isolated.Its that I do live in a world that might require that.
I don't plan,I react.However I am still prepared.
Isolation doesn't provide illusions,the mind does.
Thanks

[edit on 6-2-2009 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigvig316

If I weren't here I would be a paralyzed person who really couldn't garden for themselves but hope to have enough can goods and prepackaged meals and that my health care worker is coming to help out if I were to need them. Plus I hope someone brings me some fresh veggies from their garden to be kind.

[edit on 2/5/2009 by bigvig316]

Wow. Sorry to hear. Never like to hear about someone in your state. An event like this would really be hard, as if things arent hard enough for you. Keep your friends and family close, if something comes down you will need them more than most. I have family in a nursing home, when I lived in that area I always tried to think I could help them in a world changing emergency, but now that I'm an extremely long ways away, my thoughts of those in dire need now has drifted from my mind.

Seriously, best of luck to you if something happens, we all know being at any disadvantage come sit-x will be hard, I wish you all the luck.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by salchanra

I think if times get too bad that people are going to have to take their loves ones out of nursing homes. The reasons that many are there will no longer be valid because there will be no jobs to run off to. The state dollars are going to dry up and the cost is going to be prohibitive for most people anyway so the majority of the people left in the facilities will be only those that no longer have a family to provide care.

I have faith and trust that if it get so bad that the state will no longer provide any care that for the few that do not have families a local community outreach team or church will help out. I have worked with community groups that provide for the hungry, homeless and sick. Though it will be a challenge they will not let anyone in their area that asks for help go attended even if it means putting another quart of water in the soup.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

I like positive thinkers, so rare these days especially on here.

Those I know in nursing homes will be taken care of by my family. I may be out of the picture, but they are generally good people. I dont know how many others have a support stucture however. When I go to nursing homes, often I find old, sad, lonely people and when I ask the staff they tell me that their families only show up on holidays and never pay to have them taken out of the facility. How people can do this to family simply makes me ill.

Under the premise the OP stated, I think some families will have the wherewithall to pull their loved ones out and care for them, others will simply think the state can take care of it and go on fighting for themselves.

Thats where the charities and churches will come into play. Like it or not, faith based organizations actually do care about people and dont think of their organizations well being first and people second.

In a TEOTWAWKI, which something like a complete loss of faith in currency world wide could trigger however, sadly, those in nursing homes will be in real trouble. No one to prepare meals, keep the heat on, easy targets for thugs, it will be rough and I certainly wouldnt want to be part of it. Lets all hope, regardless of what we think of society and civilization that those in positions such as this will have a guardian angel should we all truely fail and the world crashes down around us.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I would plan on bugging out even though I am sorta rural and have 4 acres. I would treat it almost like a pandemic. People may not go to work, water and power maybe limited after a week or so and if I was in the city I would get out to find food and winter wood, which means they are coming my way. Marshal law maybe go into effect meaning the blocking of highways and main roads. If you have any food stored over a few weeks worth your a hoarder and if you get caught your food will be gone as you maybe.
I have routes out and friends off the grid prepared.
Many here are building bunkers. I am not to thrilled on being underground for long.
Taking
My SAS book is worth a billion to me.
planned map routes
battery back up
12 volt chargers and equipment
food
gas
shortwave
dvd ( I like old movies)
propain
heaters (in case to tired to or not safe to build fire)
tools
clothing
guns/ammo
paintball g
rabbits(they multiply)
coins
barter supplies
sleeping bags
tents
fishing eqipment
dog/cat food (cant leave them)
first aid supplies
ect

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

Of course these scenarios mean you have the supplies because you had the money to be prepared.
Growing food would be by permission only as the Government would have control of all food distribution and family farms. So if caught they could haul you away.

You can't say what you would do because the scenario could change or be so different such as it happens so gradually or therre is a supposed attack where they have to move you for your own good.

Best any of us can do is have a bug out bag ready with at least a three week supply of needs. I suggest closed waterproof dirt proof containers buried at unusual locations for the after three week supply runs out, good also for extra arm protection.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
If you woke up tomorrow and your countrys dollar collapsed?
Bank machines don't work and store owners refuse to open or accept money??
You know people are going to start panicking.
What would you do??
To make it interesting lets say that this was like a depression that lasted a yr or so.

This is just a hypothetical question but I would love to hear your thoughts.

Believe it or not, I am not quite sure what I would do.

I work for the Government (UK) in probably the most important sector to the populace of the country - Health. The NHS is the third largest employer in the world. If we dont get paid, then we dont go to work, then the country has gone to rats and we are all in a world of #.

Does anyone know if the Governments of the affected countries of the last depression paid their employees?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join