It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much water do you stock?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_MislTech

England used the slow sand filter for a long time, some say its still in use.

Slow sand filter

Another trick to kill what is living in the water is the SODIS method.

!

Excellent post, a absolutely excellent piece of work, salutations Sir.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Reply to Fred T-
Quote: "Ah but you could if you had a filter. Water heater water is not really grey water as it comes straight from the municipal water supply.

I do not count on it in my planning as we are in earthquake country and the water heater may not make it "

All true.

I'm an idiot, hadn't thought that the water in the water heater actually isn't "gray" water. I too am in an earthquake zone, and keep saying that I need to brace the water heater to the wall. Maybe I'll actually do that this weekend.

I've got to get me a water filter, as then you don't need to worry about if the water is drinkable or not.

Does anyone happen to know what the right dose of bleach per gallon of water is in order to take out the bacteria?

[edit on 2/6/09 by Skamindy77]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I don't know if this will help you but the government over here in the U.S. gives us people that live in areas where they destroy chemical weapons a list of a kit we should have incase they screw up and we have to shelter in place.

They say we need one gallon of water for every person in the family perday. They also say that we should always keep a two week supply on hand at all times.

They also say we should change out the water every 6 months.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I have been in the habit of saving, rinsing, and filling with cold tap water every one gallon plastic container we've purchased. Once filled it's off to the basement in a dark storage area.

Any advice on shelf life and purification would be helpful.

Great thread and very informative

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by huntergatherer

I'm told that 1/4 teaspoon of bleach (not color safe or scented) per gallon of water and then replace it every three months when using tap water.

They also say don't use milk jugs. I keep juice jugs and use them and liter soda bottles.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I keep every plastic drink container we get, juice, pop, whatever. I clean it with a little bleach and rinse it out well. Then i just fill with tap. Since most tap water already has bleach in it I figured I dont need to add more for storage. Then i just keep it in a cold dark place. also I've been told itll be good for up to two years but that I should change it every year.

[edit on 12-2-2009 by FunSized]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I haven't read around yet to confirm the fear-mongering or it's level of legitimacy. I would however recommend this link as a start to ensuring your storage equipment is "safe".

I'm not falling either side of the argument although I would try to avoid BPA just to be on the safe side.

Obviously, a slow death from this would be more preferable to a quick and unpleasant one from dehydration or other "nasties" in your water.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
At home, we usually have about 15 gallons in 5 gallon plastic containers.

We also have a swimming pool. We would use the water in our pool for garden, bathing, and flushing toilets.

I'm thinking about getting a few more 5 gallon containers for pure water.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Mineral water for drinking is all that is stocked in my house... Oh and for watering the plants...

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
When our watershed in Vancouver was contaminated by a landslide here in Vancouver we had a month + of water boiling advisory.

I had enough water stored to last us nearly a full three weeks of semi-conservative use. I did boil and filter some water. I have a lot of cupboard space under my cabinets.

For the last week of the advisory I did buy one big flat of bottled.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join