It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is life so cruel?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Hello all,

I was thinking to myself the other day how unbelievably unfair and cruel some of the stories you hear on the news actually are. Life seems to deal the worst fates to the best people so my question is why is life so cruel?

Why is it that decent, honest, kind, hard working people seem to befall the worst fates yet those who are the opposite of the above seem to do just fine?

As an example:

A two-time Miss World finalist whose feet and hands were amputated after contracting a drug-resistant infection has died.

Link: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Most people will have heard of this story, it was on the news fairly recently.

A 20 year old, two-time miss world finalist had to have her hands & feet amputated. It seems that unfair almost that you could wonder if someone had made the story up!

Poor women; very good looking, had a boyfriend, two time miss world finalist - its reasonable to assume she was set up to have a decent life to say the least. Then she gets an infection that cause her to lose the very things (hands & feet) that helped to shape her future in the first place.

Not only to make matters worse, eventually she dies.

It just doesn't seem right or fair whether you believe in fate, destiny, god or other I don't see how anyone can explain the above.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Life is not just cruel. It's on MAXIMUM cruelty.

I like to think of life as a game....if it was easy, it wouldn't be fun anymore.

Life is set to maximum diffuculty to challange us at it. There is no good story without conflict.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
life is so cruel because a lot of people are born with a gold spoon in their mouth.

those people will never really add something to society since they never been at rock bottom.

this disrupts the ballance of the whole system so a lot of people get **** they don't deserve.

also there are a lot of people just walking the wrong paths and giving up too soon, it's a society created by FUD.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
Why is it that decent, honest, kind, hard working people seem to befall the worst fates yet those who are the opposite of the above seem to do just fine?

As an example:

A two-time Miss World finalist whose feet and hands were amputated after contracting a drug-resistant infection has died.

Poor women; very good looking, had a boyfriend, two time miss world finalist - its reasonable to assume she was set up to have a decent life to say the least. Then she gets an infection that cause her to lose the very things (hands & feet) that helped to shape her future in the first place.

Yes, a tragic story. But besides the fact she was good looking, had large breasts and a boyfriend, where is the evidence that she was decent, honest and kind, as she is your example of this?

And no TV footage. Please.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Life isn't cruel, it's indifferent. Unfortunate things happen to good and bad people, millions die every year from preventable causes at too young an age to be judged as good or bad. A good part of the problem is that people only REALLY care about what's immediately around them. Some bad things happen for reasons beyond anyone's control; genetic illnesses, freak accidents, etc, but many of the problems are caused, or at least not fixed because of, the cruelty or apathy of ordinary people.

Just look at the given example. A two time miss world finalist. Over a million people die of malaria annually, mostly in underdeveloped countries, the vast majority of whom are children and pregnant women. Somehow a semi-celebrity's death was more moving, or at least, came to mind faster to the OP than the deaths of a major metropolis-worth of predominantly black and Asian children for every year that passes.

I think the blame lies more in people than in life.

I also don't think that a lot of people are prepared to accept the idea that many of life's misfortunes are the result of quantifiable and even theoretically predictable social and physical processes too complicated to actually predict in practice, but nonetheless the result of the will of no conscious entities beyond that of the occasional ordinary human being. That something akin to random chance plays a large role in people's lives, and unfortunately, there's a lot that can go wrong.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Kinda ironic. I was making a bamboo bow with about a 40 pound draw the other day and after 8 hours of finishing it, I cut my thumb deep while making the arrow. Kinda sucks cause I wanted to trial shoot it really bad.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by Death_Kron

As an example:

Yes, a tragic story. But besides the fact she was good looking, had large breasts and a boyfriend, where is the evidence that she was decent, honest and kind, as she is your example of this?

And no TV footage. Please.

I see what your saying but I used her story to illustrate the point I was trying to make; that life seems to be cruel. As an analogy its like a painter losing his hands, losing the thing that made him happy in life.

I know a lady who has never smoked, drank, she ate healthily and looked after herself but has had skin cancer & breast cancer...

Doesn't seem very fair to me.

And the fact she has big breast's really is irrelevant

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mdiinican

Well I suppose your right when you look at it like that. The media probably has a lot to answer for, they tend to report on stories that pull the heart strings.

When was the last time you read a newspaper and it reported a homeless, drug addict has died? Usually never, unless they have committed some crime.

Still though without going into detail I have plenty of personal examples of life acting in a bad way to good people.

Maybe your right life isn't so cruel, maybe it just seems that way but from my experiences that doesn't seem to be the case.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Look at how the media will jump on one particular missing child case. And ignore the many others that occur probably on a daily or hourly basis. I won't name any examples but I'm sure a few will come to mind immediately.

new topics

top topics

join