It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can You Choose Your Reincarnated Successor?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
The Dalai Lama has openly speculated about his next life, his reincarnation, musing that he might upend historical and cultural practice and choose his reincarnation before his death, the better to safeguard his exiled people.

But doubts creep in.

Can even so highly evolved a Buddhist as the Dalai Lama select his reincarnation? Will upending the old way of searching for the Dalai Lama’s incarnation, in which priests search for omens, portents and meteorological signs, undermine the legitimacy of his successor?

Tibetan Buddhists believe in reincarnation, although not in the sense of an irreducible self passing from body to body. They describe a dying candle lighting a new one; one’s essence passes on.

Typically, when the Dalai Lama dies, the royal court appoints a regent who rules until the next reincarnation comes of age. Over the centuries some regents grew fond of their power and some Dalai Lamas expired prematurely, not to mention suspiciously. The sense of the regency as a time of peril persists.

It is within this context that the Dalai Lama speculates about how to pull off his next reincarnation. Perhaps the four sects that constitute Tibetan Buddhism might form a Tibetan version of the Roman Catholic College of Cardinals and pick a successor. Perhaps he will return as a girl, or as a non-Tibetan.

Or perhaps he will pick his future self.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
correct me if im wrong, but isnt the dalai lama aready reached nirvana but he chooses to come back to help others?

technically he should be able to control it right?

(im not a buddist, im just saying)

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Grock

I don't think even the Dalai Lama knows exaclty what happens after death, so he can only speculate.

If reincarnation were true, to decide in this life how your next one would be, reminds me of opening a Christmas or birthday present, and sneaking a peek before it's time to. It takes away the element of surprise!

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
remember we have only 108 reincarnations as humans...

7 for each 12 zodiacal signs.

if you're at the 108th' then you're back to ape. then back to dog then rodent then insect then plant then mineral...
and the cycle continues.

to fully destroy the animalistic "egos".. in hopes of cultivating a consciousness that finally realizes the allness and seeps into it as opposed to remaining separate according to it's own will and desires.

-

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I believe in reincarnation but not the way Buddhists do. I believe that we all choose our incarnations but not while we're incarnate. What I mean is that we choose our next life while we are in soul/spirit so we can learn (or help others learn) what it is that we need to learn in order to more perfect ourselves for God (we (our souls) WANT to be more perfect because of who we really are).

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I already know my next life. I had a very very real dream and I was that person. The dream didn't leave me for 2 or 3 days. That whole time I felt like I was who I am in my next life .. not who I am now.

My next life - I'm a blonde boy (I'm a girl now) living in N.E. Texas. I saw my parents (not the same from now) and two younger sisters. There was also a baby but the baby died at 8 months of age. I saw lots more but I don't want to give away too much because the next life is 200 years from now and things are very different. I don't know if 'they' will dig this up and hunt me down in the future with this information. (sounds crazy ... but it's true) I saw a map of the USA and it is very different. We were at war with someone. It was a different kind of war though. And it was better to die then to get caught. I was 17 and we had to evacuate .... and I had my two sisters in the back seat of the car ... and I purposely drove off a mountain to kill us rather then get caught by what was closing in on us.

Very strange. But very real.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I already know my next life. I had a very very real dream and I was that person. The dream didn't leave me for 2 or 3 days. That whole time I felt like I was who I am in my next life .. not who I am now.

My next life - I'm a blonde boy (I'm a girl now) living in N.E. Texas. I saw my parents (not the same from now) and two younger sisters. There was also a baby but the baby died at 8 months of age. I saw lots more but I don't want to give away too much because the next life is 200 years from now and things are very different. I don't know if 'they' will dig this up and hunt me down in the future with this information. (sounds crazy ... but it's true) I saw a map of the USA and it is very different. We were at war with someone. It was a different kind of war though. And it was better to die then to get caught. I was 17 and we had to evacuate .... and I had my two sisters in the back seat of the car ... and I purposely drove off a mountain to kill us rather then get caught by what was closing in on us.

Very strange. But very real.

Wow. That's strange. I would very much like to hear whatever else you feel comfortable telling about the future but I think it would take this thread off-topic. If you can tell me more, U2U me.

new topics

top topics

join