It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much would you change your life if you knew the origins of life/earth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
How much would your life change if someone found out, with 100% certainty, the origins of life and earth?

How much differently would you treat this life?

I think that it would not change all that much. For me personally, whether life began 10,000 or 10 billion years ago, whether there is an omnipotent prime mover or simply a chaotic explosion that started it all, would not affect me in a significant way.

Why? Because regardless of the answer to those questions, it will not stop me from achieving my goals, loving the people that I love, and enjoying my life.

Now I'm not saying that pursuing this knowledge is in vain (pursuing knowledge is never in vain) I just think that we put far too much emphasis worrying about this particular issue than building and dealing with a better present and future for yourself.

[edit on 3-2-2009 by Cool Hand Luke]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I guess I could then say, "So that's how it all began!" It would certainly kill religion or science depending on what is true (me? I believe in science.). Or create more excuses for religion saying something like "yeah God created Earth and the heavens trillions of years ago, we just misread the text." Or something ridiculous. Anyway it probably wouldn't change much for me except solidify or change an opinion as a fact

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
i think for many, the past being altered may not change much, but for me personally if I knew where we were heading in the future after this life it would definatley lead me on a different path in the present.

many people who have had OBE's have changed completely for the better and there are many documented stories on the net of this.

I have read a few od drunvalo's books and he talks a lot about where and when we came from and it is certainly eye opening to say the least. if there were some glimmers of hard proof, it may change people!!

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoothyKnight
I guess I could then say, "So that's how it all began!" It would certainly kill religion or science depending on what is true (me? I believe in science.). Or create more excuses for religion saying something like "yeah God created Earth and the heavens trillions of years ago, we just misread the text." Or something ridiculous. Anyway it probably wouldn't change much for me except solidify or change an opinion as a fact

I think you are probably correct about people making excuses to keep from having to change their philosophy regardless of the evidence in front of them. Afterall, there are still people that believe that man has not landed on the moon regardless of the evidence in front of them.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
i think for many, the past being altered may not change much, but for me personally if I knew where we were heading in the future after this life it would definatley lead me on a different path in the present.

Why? Why would it change your path in this life? What positive ramifications would the knowledge of an afterlife have on the way you live this life?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Cool Hand Luke

Are you saying something in regards to someone finding out the "real" truth, verifiable by fact? Or is this a rhetorical "I know the truth, believe it or not"? I personally think that in this stage of the game, unless this divine knowledge is presented by some non-biased entity...god, aliens, talking star, etc...not much would change, except maybe text books.

I know my life started in latter March of '77, and I have been the same A-Hole ever since. Should that information be different than what I believe to be true, and found to be verifiable, I don't think I would be a different A-Hole because of it...catch my drift?

after EDIT: spelling miscombobulation rectified

[edit on 4-2-2009 by daddymax]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   

For me at least, I don't think MY own life would change significanlty and here is why. There would still be things around like cancer in a young child. Starving masses, poor versus rich, and random things like accidents which can make a person a living vegetable.

Whether or not my soul could be recyled a billion times or not, wouldn't matter becase I would still be living moment by moment and day to day in the current life I have.

I also believe that life has miracles along with the messed up stuff that can happen, and I wouldn't change my own life in anyway, the good or the bad.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I think for Christians and for Scientists - the answers would probably affect them most dramatically.

Personally I don't believe in any one thing as being definite or true. I believe that many things are possible - so in the event that the actual truth came out about Life, I wouldn't be affected or feel as though my life's crusade was a success or failure.

I would feel like I learned something valuable, but my life and my path probably wouldn't change.

- Carrot

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I love this question - I've wondered about this myself

there are so many different angles here - because that 100% certain knowledge could be in any category

I agree with you - I think my life would be the same

but, that's easy for me to say now - because I don't know :-)

if I knew for sure - but the truth was very much different from what I thought it would be - I'm not really sure how I would react

new topics

top topics

join