It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Satellite Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Ok guys, I just heard about coolsat, a "Free To Air" satellite receiver box.

What I would like to know is, what kinda channels do I get? Do I get Sci-Fi and others for free or anything? I would like to know, I don't want to jump into anything, a customer at work told me about it, he told me that his friend (whom he saw a PPV movie at, for free) has like a thousand channels and all the movies and PPV stuff was completely free. So if I buy this box, will I get free PPV and Movies and stuff like this one guy did? Or will I have to hack it or something (which I don't want to do)?

Please let me know, if you know anything that may help or if you have it as well.

Thanks,

-Lahara

[edit on 3-2-2009 by TheRandom1]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I did a little checking around.
Looks like you have to be fairly technical to get things working.
The Dish has to be motorized, to look at various Satellites.
And there seem to be a lot of forums dedicated to configuration.

One of the discussions pointed me to this site:
www.lyngsat.com...

It reminds me of the old school setups from the 80's.
Does this help at all? LOL

Anyone out there using the coolsat service?

I'd like to add that the coolsat service appears to be legit. I doubt that you would receive any PPV stuff, without doing something less than legal.

[edit on 3-2-2009 by spacedoubt]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
FTA is exactly that, free to air. You can point to any geo-synchronous satellite(broadcasting a feed) and receive free local & international channels, completely legit. There is almost zero technical knowledge required if you have someone install a dish or dishes for you. Its very simple to do it yourself I've done many. A motorized setup is not required but it can help depending on exactly what your trying to achieve. Also, as compared to the 80/90's most of the FTAs don't require cards, it is all done via software emulation, its more or less idiot proof.

To answer the OP's question directly, you will get some content free (which is legit) but if your looking for commercial content (ie. Dishnet or Bell Express Vu) then no, in FTA's native format you won't receive anything. The reason is that these companies want to protect their investments so they encode the video streams sent by the satellites. Also both of the previously named satellite providers are in the midst (Bell is complete) of transitioning to their new encryption format called nagra3. Dishnet is is to be completed sometime April 09. This is part of the cards life cycle to prevent piracy. There is far more to this but the sites T&C's prohibit any further discussion. Google if your friend is you want more info.

brill

[edit on 7-2-2009 by brill]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRandom1

Before Direct TV and other satellite services, people would have a huge dish outside their homes (One may be able to see a few out in the countryside) and could get both network feeds on each coast. They would also get all the syndicated and daytime shows in advanced, as they were fed to the individual stations once a week. One also had to buy many different kinds of packages if one wanted HBO or the other cable channels. The problem was many bills that could add up. The good news was no local commercials, and during the networks' breakfast shows, one could hear the anchors and guests still talking. (Nothing major, but they would smoke and drink water/coffee during the breaks.)

The Dish Networks came out with a smaller dish and you paid for a tier of programming. Gone was the getting programs in advance, but that is still possible if one just gets the main receiver. I hope this helps clear a few things up. It could be that the company is offering the dish and equipment to get network feeds and syndicated programming. You would still have to pay for premium and other channels from assorted providers.

top topics

join