It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: 'I screwed up' on Daschle appointment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Obama: 'I screwed up' on Daschle appointment

www.cnn.com

President Barack Obama on Tuesday admitted he made a mistake in handling the nomination of Tom Daschle as his Health and Human Services secretary, saying Daschle's tax problems sent a message that the politically powerful are treated differently than average people.

President Barack Obama is interviewed by CNN's Anderson Cooper on Tuesday.

Daschle, the former Democratic leader in the U.S. Senate, withdrew earlier Tuesday as news that he failed to pay some taxes in the past continued to
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
It's admirable that anybody can admit he made a mistake. But what kind of message does it send when a President makes three mistakes in one day?

1)Tom Daschle
2)Obama backs down on 'Buy American' after EU trade war threat
3)Nancy Killefer

Does America in this current economic crisis need someone who can do the job, or one who will take the responsibility for "screwing" up?

On the same day we have further potential problems from India, North Korea and Iran.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-2-2009 by Mynaeris]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Screwed up?

Here we go. I do hope he doesn't disappoint easily. This is just the beginning.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Obama's statement of taking responsibility for screwing up reminds me of the sportsmen like Michael Phelps , or preachers caught with hookers, etc who then go on TV and say I did wrong but I take responsibility. I want to give him credit for admitting it, but doesn't a President have a team that helps him from making this many mistakes? Is he really aware that he screwed up or just that he got caught out at screwing up?

Is it just me or have the Obama fans hung up their pom poms?

[edit on 3-2-2009 by Mynaeris]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

He's sorry he lost. He's sorry there is scrutiny on him now. He is sorry there are questions now.

In other words, his "sorry" is a regular old politician's "sorry".

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1

He's sorry he lost. He's sorry there is scrutiny on him now. He is sorry there are questions now.

In other words, his "sorry" is a regular old politician's "sorry".

i agree, he IS a politician after all. At the same time i find it ironic that the anti obama camp would be angry at him for NOT admitting he made a mistake like our last president, and for admitting to it also. I ALMOST feel bad for him, he has the deck stacked against him to be sure.
I said almost. He bought the ticket now he can take the ride. This is only the beginning for him.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Enigma Publius

That may be, but my basic point was that there is nothing special about his "sorry".

I mean, he's appointed/wanted 4 cabinet positions filled by people who haven't bothered to pay their taxes. He got bit by all four.....the least he can do is apologize for one.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Man, this is not good. When I heard him say I screwed up I was like namit.

When you're the leader of the free world you don't apologize. How do I say this. It is admirable that he can admit his mistakes, but in doing so in such a powerful position he compromised his integrity as a leader.

When your at the top you blame it on the team or just don't say anything. The last thing you want to do is show the world that your incompetent at what should be an easy task of filling cabinet positions.

He promised to many conflicting things and he is starting to see how the simplest of promises that he can keep are actually easier said than done.

Also the other mistake he made today was trying to get a Republican out of the Senate to give him 60 democrat votes in the Senate. That blew up in his face today too when Judd Gregg made the deal with the gov of his state that he has to appoint a republican to fill his seat. So if the gov doesn't come through on the deal it will be even more egg on Obama's face.

Just think we are only 3 weeks in too.

edit - grammar

[edit on 3-2-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I don't understand how he doesn't do his homework when it comes to these issues like these. They should have known about his issues. If it was that easy for the republicans to find out this info and put in front of them when they were try to confirm Daschle the democrats already knew and were trying to pull a fast one. This is the third person with issues paying taxes.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MynaerisOn the same day we have further potential problems from India, North Korea and Iran.

Did I miss something?

Can someone explain what he is talking about?... today?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

Iran Launched a domestically built satellite so nobody knows what it is for. North Korea is about to test an ICBM, and somebody is going to have to fill me in on India.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Indiareply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Here is the India story. They seem unhappy with him.

"India has warned US President Barack Obama that he risks “barking up the wrong tree” if he seeks to broker a settlement between Pakistan and India over the disputed territory of Kashmir.

MK Narayanan, India’s national security advisor, said that the new US administration was in danger of dredging up out of date Clinton administration-era strategies in a bid to bring about improved ties between the two nuclear armed neighbours."

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
"India has warned US President Barack Obama that he risks “barking up the wrong tree” if he seeks to broker a settlement between Pakistan and India over the disputed territory of Kashmir.

Good for India.

They can solve thier own problems...

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Personally, I find it quite refreshing. I mean, Obama is willing to apologize for a relatively minor mistake that quite frankly will impact none of our lives.

However, our last disgrace of a president never once apologized for any of the plethora of major mistakes he made that have clearly affected the lives of millions of people around the world.

Please, back off Obama and give him a chance. When he makes a mistake that is even in the same league as Bush's non-action to the Al Queda threat, his non-action after the Katrina calamity, or his lies in the run up to the invasion of Iraq...You guys let me know.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Honestly this guy just keeps making mistakes and it's funny.

I mean he can only improve from here........

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Well, I don't know whether to laugh or what at that. Thanks for the info on India.

So, lets see what kind of day it has been for Obama,

Two of his nominees withdraw from cabinet positions because of Tax issues.

Iran launches a domestically built satellite, which means they have a rocket that can get into space, which means they have a weapon that can reach the countries we were putting a defense shield into place.

North Korea is about to test an ICBM.

India says keep your nose in your own business, pretty much calling him out on his inexperience.

The EU boe's up and gets Obama to back off his "Buy American Only" policy in the 'stimulus' package.

He attempted to get 60 votes in the senate by nominating a republican to his cabinet and the republican made a deal with the gov of his state and now the gov has to appoint a republican. If he doesn't it will make Obama and the dems look really bad.

And he made himself look weak by taking the blame for appointing tax cheats to his cabinet.

Wouldn't want to be Obama right now.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
When you're the leader of the free world you don't apologize. How do I say this. It is admirable that he can admit his mistakes, but in doing so in such a powerful position he compromised his integrity as a leader.

When your at the top you blame it on the team or just don't say anything. The last thing you want to do is show the world that your incompetent at what should be an easy task of filling cabinet positions.

I disagree completely with this statement. It should also be noted that I didn't vote for the guy and I think he's going to be a disaster. Regardless, he needs to take responsibility when he screws up. "The buck stops here" as they say. Blaming this on his team would be a coward's way out.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by BluegrassRevolutionary

Ummm, Kentucky. That's all.

Oh yea, and read my above post on N. Korea and Iran.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueTriangle

Ever watched the stock market when a CEO makes a mistake? The stock drops because of the lack in confidence in the leader.

The move he should have made was to blow it off. But he backed himself into a corner with his whole Transparency clause.

Being the leader of the free world is a different ball game.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I am just wondering why he didn't say this was a mistake when it happened the first time. How come is it always a mistake only when public opinion goes South?
This makes me question the sincerity in him admitting his mistake.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join