It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New IBM supercomputer to "babysit" U.S nukes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
It does not say whether it runs Linux or a UNIX type operating system.

Can someone please confirm this?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
NEVER MIND!!!!!! I got it here:

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

And the answer would be Red Hat LINUX.

[edit on 5-2-2009 by infocon_delta]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I'm cool with a centralized supercomputer controlling ICBM diagnostics. It'll probably save money after a while. If, through some kind of ridiculously contrived fiction plot type deal it became sentient, the worst it could do is report all the missiles non-functional, wasting taxpayer dollars by having people sent out to the silos to fix the reported problems.'

Which would certainly be annoying, and doubtless quite expensive, but hardly the end of the world.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Ok, since its running LINUX, do you all here trust an Open Source OS supporting this????

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I was thinking the same thing, i tought software for this kind of usage was some sort of millitairy developed, not open source based since it potensially would pose some sort of security risk. And i may be wrong, but Linux seems like overkill for a system that is supposed to do specific tasks.

But then again, the computing power they are implementing is insane, so maybe they really is making some sort of Skynet, and this is the official version. Maybe its not supposed to babysit, but to actually be in control and do actions based on threats and world situation.

[edit on 7/2/09 by BenDozer]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I would of thought that they would run under an IBM Mainframe type OS....But, LINUX????? I dont think so....

I would of even used SOLARIS over Linux to as an operating system for these machines....

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I prefer that it's open source, much safer.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I don't believe the stated purpose.

It's an excuse to pay IBM an inflated price for a piece of equipment and adding this machine to the MIC for use in a whole different purpose.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Can someone explain why a bunch of missiles would need a supercomputer to "look after" them?

I'm not doubting the article, but, much of the US's nuclear arsenal is sort of just sitting there - there's little threat of the Cold War from the 80s turning hot, so why would they need this much strategic management?

Maybe that sounds like a dumb question... Is it about monitoring their condition perhaps?

In any case, it already exists:

IBM Sequoia: Faster Than the Fastest 500 Supercomputers, Combined

It's for the U.S. Government who will use the system for "uncertainty quantification (UQ) studies" and weapon science calculations.

Article link

Well, I've just answered my own question

As for the operating system, it could probably some sort of proprietary real time system.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

Yes, it will be used as you and Zaphod58 stated. Breathe easy, world, computers will not be minding the store.
Check out the 1964 movie, Fail Safe.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by desert

As long as it beats any Dr. Strangelove type of situation!

Interesting that the Cold War is supposed to be over, but everyone's nuclear arsenal is seemingly still aimed at one another.

...and these massive supercomputers are needed in this day and age to model and monitor them.

[edit on 9-2-2009 by mattguy404]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
They should name it SkyNet, just for fun. Nice graph eva

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Lets play Global Nuclear War!

Are you there David?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join