It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama to water down 'Buy American' plan after EU trade war threat

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

Are you for real? I'm not sure whether to laugh hysterically at you or just feel sorry for your complete and utter ignorance. Here, I'll give you an example...

We are the toughest most resourceful and smartest on the planet. Sure the old world bankers and elite have dumbed a lot of Americans down by manipulating us and our system, but those fabulous genes are still here.

Toughest? Most resourceful? Do tell, how exactly is America the toughest and most resourceful? Last I heard you guys started a global depression! Smartest? You contradict yourself in the very next sentence by pointing out that your entire country has been duped by a few elite bankers and now the entire world has to suffer for your stupidity!

I hope to god those 'fabulous genes' are eradicated rather quickly from the global genepool.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by Kryties

I actually believe that this what the WTO wants to collapse, destroy and anhilate the Nation of the US and its citizens.

With an attitude like yours, who could blame them?

Seriously though, that's called paranoia. You read a little too much conspiracy methinks. Don't get me wrong, I love it myself or I would not be here, but sometimes one can get too involved and believe EVERYTHING they read without logic or reason.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Not nearly as duped as your people. We dont limit web sites, we did not give up our guns and we refuse to bend anymore.

We sneezed and you caught the flu. Dont let it turn into pneumonia.

Say goodbye mate! We can be self sufficient and dont need the rest of the world.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

For a long time we have debated in this forums the truth intentions of may countries that never has been friend of the US, but has never had the balls to take this nation by mean of violent wars.

No even their terrorist attack had done a darn thing.

But is one thing that this nation is week and that weakest point is the one that has been exploited by those nations that actually are working to take down the US.

The weakest point is the economy, the same corrupted and bully means that US used to lure other nations to its biding, now the other nations has lure the America government to become addicted to debt and consumerism.

Now America can not longer work without the generosity of its lenders and its citizens can not longer live without the addition to imported goods.

The downfall of the American nation is imminent, but is one problem if the America nation goes down so the global economy will too.

Like everything the weakest will fall and the strongest will take all.

This is not a conspiracy is the truth.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
reply to post by Kryties

Not nearly as duped as your people. We dont limit web sites, we did not give up our guns and we refuse to bend anymore.

Limit our web sites? I am in Australia (if you had not noticed the big 'Australia' written under my avatar where it says 'Location') and I can tell you for a fact that we have unrestricted acces to the internet, just like you.

We sneezed and you caught the flu. Dont let it turn into pneumonia.

No, you got greedy and threw the entire world into depression.

Say goodbye mate! We can be self sufficient and dont need the rest of the world.

Self-sufficient eh? Tell you what, when you guys shore up and shut out the outside world, you'll lose things like Uranium imports from Canada and Australia - you know the stuff that powers your country. Lets see how long you last without power - and thats just the beginning

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
buy american

name 1 wholly american owned company of any worth.

internationally traded shares mean that there isn't any. multinationalism means that there isn't any.

get your heads out of your arses and grow up a bit.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

reply to post by Kryties

The downfall of the American nation is imminent, but is one problem if the America nation goes down so the global economy will too.

Nope. Sorry but you are wrong there. If America goes down, yes the rest of the world will suffer for a while but we will recover because unlike America, we would still be sharing complete trade with each other. There is enough of every resource around the world to sustain those in it.

Except maybe corn, but only American's eat a lot of corn anyways.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
America cannot cut off the world and go it alone. It depends on foreign energy and foreign debt to keep going.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Truly our ancestors where right when they kicked you lot out!

Thats just insulting.

You mean "truly our ancestors were standing there too scared to do anything when the rich drove out those who took a stand against them."

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
America does not need to depend on foreign oil or debt.

That is what has to change.

The fact that we do is what is making this debate continue. So many non-Americans feel that is the way America has to be to survive.

There are plenty of resources here, oil and other. If we collapse the system and cut ourselves off, yes the America you all have learned to love and hate for our greedy consumerism, will fall.

But from the ashes we will rebuild and real innovation will be the result of it.

I say no bailouts or stimulus packages should be passed. Cut us off for all I care. Collapse the dollar. It will then be a few hard years of rebuilding, but by that point the old government will be ousted, and the old (or new) based off the constitution will bring America back to its former status.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by jmilla]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

You seem to be too over confidence, sorry to burst your bubble but the rest of the world is not doing so peachy since the US economy is going down the hill

And that is a fact.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Fact eh?

Have you any evidence to support this? Or am I to just take your word for it?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

sorry to burst your bubble

the problem is you guys created the bubble in the first place.

if ordinary americans want to buy american, go right ahead, if you can afford to pay that much, feel free to do so.

america can't cope with a free market!!!! you guys are nuts

[edit on 4/2/09 by pieman]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

reply to post by Kryties

You seem to be too over confidence, sorry to burst your bubble but the rest of the world is not doing so peachy since the US economy is going down the hill

And that is a fact.

And why do you think that happened? Please read more on sites about economics and what caused all this in the first place.. Please educate yourself and come back.. I dont mean this in the insulting way, but a lot of posters only post personal beliefs and personal feelings and thats not the solution to this all. America used a lot more then that they were getting and they kept doing that.. debt on debt on debt, bigger houses bigger cars.. but all without really owing it, just keep on lending.. lending and everyone knew that a lot of people just could not pay back.. Then the subprimes, giving houses to people that dont have a job or money, whats that about.. and that was the start of all this.. So who's fault is this? Offcourse all the fraudulent banks, guys like Maddoff.. And because we live in a global society and a global economics system, one affects the other.. So start reading and you will see that protectionism is not an option in a global market. And you guys signed treaties, and you cannot break treaties cause its not going your way. Thats not how this works..

And please feel free to comment on this cause im not an economic dude, im an ict dude.. so i dont understand all of it, or the underlying things.. so if i made a mistake somewere correct me..

[edit on 4-2-2009 by Pazzzzz]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I am not here to have a contest of will with you or anybody else, that is not my nature.

But will post why America needs to keep the clause of "buying America's only in place" and even extended.

While I am not fan of my own American corrupte history, I am an American after all and as an America I care for my fellow Americans even if I careless for the fat rats that grace the halls of congress stealing Americans hard worker tax payer.

So as this so call stimulus goes on high gear me want it or not at least I have an opinon of how my hard earned tax dollars should be spend.

And to fatten up the inequality of corrupted WTO nations is not, I got enough of that in my own backyard.

Instead of simply putting “buy American” on any steel procurements, we should put it on everything. Let private business do what it wants, but the United States government should first and foremost employ U.S. workers and U.S. firms. NASA didn’t hire out Russian scientists during the Space Race – and those foreign scientists who did come mostly went on to become citizens. Why would the government allow any foreign competition in its largest and most sweeping infrastructure plan?

By blocking foreign-made goods and foreign workers we would guarantee that all of the money stays here. If the stimulus package ends up paying for itself then it will be a net success, regardless of its overhead cost. It cannot hope to pay for itself if millions of dollars are spent overseas on steel from India or European concrete. The whole point of the stimulus is to stimulate the American economy, not the economies of everyone else.

After all it is the American stimulus bail out not the WTO bail out

www.economyincrisis.org...

[edit on 4-2-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

internationally traded shares mean that there isn't any. multinationalism means that there isn't any.

I agree with you, and I was waiting for someone to post to that effect.

The world isn't a series of companies contained within nations any more. Companies are international now, not national.

It's just good business practice to have your company worldwide. For manufacturers, it allows greater access to materials and clients.
For everyone else, it does essentially the same.

No self respecting company is going to restrict themselves to within the borders of one nation. (Unless they're a small home built company that hasn't grown enough to leave the country. Even then, your suppliers are likely international, otherwise your supplies are way too expensive for your business to survive.)

Basically, if you cut off nations from trade with other nations, you're also cutting companies into parts.
If they can't trade with other countries... there goes their supply chain.

What your asking international companies to do is either pick up everything and move solely into the US, and trade only with the US...
... or have the rest of the world to trade with, without the US.

(What do you think they're going to chose? The US? Or the world?)

So basically, you'd be slicing up some of the largest companies in the US... who would rather abandon the US than lose their international advantage, which would basically plummet your nation into a full out depression.

It's called a global economy for a reason. Separating from it is suicide.

And there really is no way to spend your countries money on only your country if it's going into the economy.
We're all linked together.

Like an organ within a body...
You can't function long without us, and we really don't like having bits removed from us.

By blocking foreign-made goods and foreign workers we would guarantee that all of the money stays here.

And that money will be worthless.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmilla
America does not need to depend on foreign oil or debt.

That is what has to change.

The fact that we do is what is making this debate continue. So many non-Americans feel that is the way America has to be to survive.

There are plenty of resources here, oil and other. If we collapse the system and cut ourselves off, yes the America you all have learned to love and hate for our greedy consumerism, will fall.

But from the ashes we will rebuild and real innovation will be the result of it.

I say no bailouts or stimulus packages should be passed. Cut us off for all I care. Collapse the dollar. It will then be a few hard years of rebuilding, but by that point the old government will be ousted, and the old (or new) based off the constitution will bring America back to its former status.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by jmilla]

I agree to this one, i mean in my country, they are also helping banks bail out, but the only solution to this all, is to let all the bad banks fall.. the healty can pick up after that... But with money injections you only postpone the fall of it all.. Like one economic said: its like pumping blood into a corpse..

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

I agree with you, and I was waiting for someone to post to that effect.

The world isn't a series of companies contained within nations any more. Companies are international now, not national.

It's just good business practice to have your company worldwide. For manufacturers, it allows greater access to materials and clients.
For everyone else, it does essentially the same.

No self respecting company is going to restrict themselves to within the borders of one nation. (Unless they're a small home built company that hasn't grown enough to leave the country. Even then, your suppliers are likely international, otherwise your supplies are way too expensive for your business to survive.)

Basically, if you cut off nations from trade with other nations, you're also cutting companies into parts.
If they can't trade with other countries... there goes their supply chain.

What your asking international companies to do is either pick up everything and move solely into the US, and trade only with the US...
... or have the rest of the world to trade with, without the US.

(What do you think they're going to chose? The US? Or the world?)

So basically, you'd be slicing up some of the largest companies in the US... who would rather abandon the US than lose their international advantage, which would basically plummet your nation into a full out depression.

It's called a global economy for a reason. Separating from it is suicide.

And there really is no way to spend your countries money on only your country if it's going into the economy.
We're all linked together.

Like an organ within a body...
You can't function long without us, and we really don't like having bits removed from us.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by johnsky]

Could not say it better then this
.. amen..

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

sorry to burst your bubble

the problem is you guys created the bubble in the first place.

if ordinary americans want to buy american, go right ahead, if you can afford to pay that much, feel free to do so.

america can't cope with a free market!!!! you guys are nuts

A free market? Unreal. How is trading with nations that have slave labor and child labor a free market. That market is stacked against everyone.

We will reform this country and yes we can afford our own goods, what we cannot afford is to keep shipping in slave labor goods. We are not getting all that much of a break on price, the elite are not passing nearly as much of those savings on to us.

Look at he textile industry. We pay $20.00 dollars for a shirt. With modern manufacturing you can pay an American worker $10-12.00 dollars per hour and keep that shirt at $20.00 bucks and still have a lot of profit.

The global economy is a scam.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

I hope to god those 'fabulous genes' are eradicated rather quickly from the global genepool.

So you want us all to die? For somebody with such a sick heart, you sure have a high horse to sit on. You keep saying we should sacrifice ourselves for your sake. You make comments like the one I just quoted, and you think you deserved to be saved? You followed us into the hole, I hope you rot in it.

Anyways, what's my opinion on economic stimulus?

The U.S. will never have the manufacturing base it once had. We should stick to importing manufactured goods, thus keeping the prices low on such commodities. In the meantime, we should focus on becoming more reliant on exporting food in the short term and energy in the long term.

We have a big country with a lot of renewable and non-renewable resources. It's time we shifted our focus away from manufacturing and start shifting it towards resource production and recovery.

Of course, the first step to that is to quit wasting resources left and right. If the government is going to spend huge amounts of money, it should be spent on research and development of sustainable energy sources, as well as more efficient mining and agriculture methods.

In addition, we have 300 million people in this country. We need to spend some of that stimulus money (if we spend it at all) on educating those people. Our public schools need to be brought up to par with the rest of the world, and the cost of attending college and technical schools needs to be brought down so that more people can afford it.

Better education for those 300,000,000 brains would inevitably put the U.S. back at the forefront of research and innovation. The world's manufacturing base would be nothing, if it weren't for people inventing new things to build. There's no excuse, besides bad governing, for the U.S. to rank so low in educational quality. And that means there's no excuse for us to not have the brightest minds in the world living here.

Our landmass has what it needs to become a supplier. We have the means to become the researchers, too. If we'd play to our strengths, then it wouldn't hurt us for other countries to be the builders.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join