It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Fossilized Forest Found

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Here's a thread I started about an antarctic find from "14 million years ago".
Here
It has some pretty good images, too.
Why was the climate so globally tropical?
What about the increased levels of oxygen, in early stages of our planet? Interesting.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phlegmi
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I always find the story of noah amusing. The guy lived within walking distance of every species on earth and piled all of them on a boat? But lets not distract scientific discussion with fairy tales.

maybe all the animals alive today were withing walking distance of noah and all the other ones died in the flood?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Major earthquake?

We all have bad days but lets face it some days are worse then others!

Major earthquake indeed.

Great article OP.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Great find.

Absolutely interesting.

So glad the miners decided to report it instead of ignore it.

I wonder if the mine owners are thrilled though, since now I don't think they can produce when their site is now an archeological site.

I appreciate the pictures, it would be nice if they made a big gallery. It is possible they are still documenting though. The details on those fossils are
quite amazing.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Interesting post
I never knew the edges of coal seams were so fossil-rich. Shame the article doesn't provide many images to compare to the ones it placed in imagination.Hundred foot wide pillars supporting a ceiling of prehistoric plant life is pretty impressive; certainly deserved a supporting shot!

Good link from Pauligirlfor anyone that missed it, all those photos must be very similar to those in the cavern
It's here again.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Hey Pauligirl, thanks for the link to the additional photographs!!!

reply to post by nixie_nox

So glad the miners decided to report it instead of ignore it.

I thought the same thing. It also made me wonder if miners haven’t come across more finds, but were forced to press on.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by apaulo]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Wow apaulo you did it again! This is a great find, do you know if there are any fossils by any chance in the fossilized forest?

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

One of the sad things about the mechanization of coal mining has been the loss of many interesting finds. I knew a guy who graduate job was to go into coal mines in Germany looking for stuff.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

Other than the plants, I have not found anything, which isn't to say that there isn't any. There is quite a bit of excavating to be done at the mine.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The article did state it was scientists working in the mine who discovered the fossils, one can imagine that if it were only mining company officers they would have blasted thru it putting profits before science.

BBC picked up the same story with a few more images.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join