It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holy S**t!!! Look at this!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 06:22 AM
link   
You guys are going to freak out when you see this!

Go to the following link. Once there, click on "View SHM Concept Demo", under Flash player (if you have it
).

Then, watch the video. I personally am shocked. I never knew that we had this kind of technology? Bravo Zulu to the scientists at DARPA for a job well done.

www.darpa.mil...#

Mr. M

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Self-Healing minefields?

I watched the animated graphic.

I don't thinks so.

I don't buy it.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 06:30 AM
link   
It's a military website!!! They have to be for real, otherwise they wouldn't post it on there. I think it is possible, but it is just insane!!! Mines that "think", and can "move" at will??? I'm scared...

*crawls under desk*

Mr. M

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 06:35 AM
link   
This was in new scientist a few months ago. It's pretty scary but If the whole lot could be disabled remotely, then they would pose less of a threat to pedestrian civilians later.

It would be bizzare to see these things actually working.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarChild
It's a military website!!! They have to be for real, otherwise they wouldn't post it on there. I think it is possible, but it is just insane!!! Mines that "think", and can "move" at will??? I'm scared...

*crawls under desk*

Mr. M

Kinda make you worried about the mines getting their instructions backwards huh?
I can see it now....soldiers at camp.......suddenly mines "walk" in and blow the place to crap

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 06:38 AM
link   
ok great now how the hell are our troops gona get rid of enemy mins

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Kinda make you worried about the mines getting their instructions backwards huh?
I can see it now....soldiers at camp.......suddenly mines "walk" in and blow the place to crap

That would scare the s**t out of me, man!!!
Can you imagine seeing something like that?

Mr. M

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 06:51 AM
link   

That would scare the s**t out of me, man!!!
Can you imagine seeing something like that?

Mr. M

Of course you would also have to wonder how secure the instruction in the mines are...just think..now they could be hacking mines, changing their instructions, altering the network...wonder what kind of encryption they use?
Is 128 really the highest?

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Good question! I don't know for sure... Did you notice anything about the encryption level on the site?

Mr. M

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Good question! I don't know for sure... Did you notice anything about the encryption level on the site?
Mr. M

not encrypted.....of course that could be cause it's just a show page and really has no root access anywhere in the system

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Sorry. My fault. I was referring to the encryption of the mines. Was there anything about that on the site? I'm checking now, also.

Mr. M

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
That is the sweetest thing i have ever seen!
I mine field that fixes itself??????!!!!!!!!!
Next they are going to have land mines that attack you!

Frigging awsome find

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Dude, that # is crazy, right? I can't believe they have that kind of technology. Like Netstorm said, what if the mines are reverse engineered?

Mr. M

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I can hardly hold back my excitement
This doesnt seem that special to be honest

There are two main problems with this type of mine, firstly there is the fact that they communicate with one another...what better way would there be for enemy troops to detect the mines than to use the signal that the mine is giving off themselves! its basically like saying 'Watch out, MINES!'. And before ppl start saying how they can be coded signals or w/e, they can still be detected, they are still signals no matter how u look at them!
Then there is the method of repositioning...there is only ever going to be a limited number of times that the mine can be moved. For instance if the mine used pressurised gas to move, its only gonna be useful once before the gas has dispersed, then u have to look at the problem of storing the gas...as there is little room for it in the mine, it would have to be pressurised to incredibly high levels or have a launch unit underneath...once again leading to the problem of renewable repositioning methods.

[Edited on 13-4-2004 by ShinobiAurora]

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShinobiAurora
I can hardly hold back my excitement
This doesnt seem that special to be honest

There are two main problems with this type of mine, firstly there is the fact that they communicate with one another...what better way would there be for enemy troops to detect the mines than to use the signal that the mine is giving off themselves! its basically like saying 'Watch out, MINES!'. And before ppl start saying how they can be coded signals or w/e, they can still be detected, they are still signals no matter how u look at them!
Then there is the method of repositioning...there is only ever going to be a limited number of times that the mine can be moved. For instance if the mine used pressurised gas to move, its only gonna be useful once before the gas has dispersed, then u have to look at the problem of storing the gas...as there is little room for it in the mine, it would have to be pressurised to incredibly high levels or have a launch unit underneath...once again leading to the problem of renewable repositioning methods.

[Edited on 13-4-2004 by ShinobiAurora]

I believe that it said that they would only be communicating AFTER a mine had gone off.

As for repositioning - I dunno. Perhaps some kind of solar power w/ a battery? Regardless, I don't think they will have to move much - maybe once or twice.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   
what about lil Robots with the landmines on them, an when they move they just unfold into a standing upright postition an then they simply "walk" to there needed spot or Roll witchever method theres many, Plus if the mines are entering a Electronicstate, cant we use a EMP pulse to disable there abilities to fix themselves? i mean if there Electrical then they are vunerable to Hack attacks an or wave scrambling, its the Electronic future, i do know that if it is Electronic then it able to be reprogramed in one way shape or form or tampered with from a distance. cuz they most likely have Infra red so right then an there you can control them like the Spider mines from UNREAL 2004

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
IT CLEARLY STATES THAT ITS A ONLY A CONCEPT!

[Edited on 13-4-2004 by AnonymousPoster4]

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I read about this in this months issue of High Times. I can't believe we still use mines when everywhere else countries are signing treaties to get rid of them and whatnot. Just another case of US military hypocrisy.

I'm not saying the self healing mine field isn't impressive to me, it's just a damn shame we still develop this technology.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
yeah, it's only a concept as AP4 stated. i don't think it's a very good one though. but then again, i don't know much about how mines work. i just have a few questions... do mines sit right on the surface? if so, wouldn't they be incredibly easy to see? and then, when they moved (whether jumping, sliding, rolling, or however) wouldn't that make them stand out even more?

dz

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
This type of network is called a MESH Network. They're actually trying to get this type of thing in your homes.

Imagine each car having one of these. Once it senses its airbag deploying, it alerts all the cars within its vicinity thereby giving you advanced warning of the accident ahead.

Or for people who can't get internet access because of their location. With a MESH network, now they can just bounce off their neighbor's connection who got it from their neighbor who got it from.. and so on, and so on.

A while ago, there was a cellphone provider that did this. If you couldn't get reception in an area, and someone with your phone/provider was near you, you could essentially piggy-back off them who happens to be piggy backing off someone else who happens to be piggy backing off someone else who has reception.

It's a rather good idea if you ask me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join