It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Army's Remote-Controlled Beetle The insect's flight path can be wirelessly controlled via a ne

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

The Army's Remote-Controlled Beetle The insect's flight path can be wirelessly controlled via a neural implant.

www.technologyreview.com

A giant flower beetle with implanted electrodes and a radio receiver on its back can be wirelessly controlled, according to research presented this week. Scientists at the University of California developed a tiny rig that receives control signals from a nearby computer. Electrical signals delivered via the electrodes command the insect to take off, turn left or right, or hover in midflight. The research, funded by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), could one day be used for surveillance purposes or for search-and-rescue missions.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
chisblassternardone.blogspot.com
www.thoughtrecognition.net

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
We knew these things were coming, and the idea has come up here on ATS a few times with suspicions that they have been around for years.

Well the intelligence agencies dreams have become reality!

Would you even realise that one of these clever little tracking tools was updating your file, following your car or reading your ATS activity through your office window?

I know that I wouldn't!

Amazing but super scarily intrusive, sorry it is a couple of days late.

The chisblassternardone.blogspot.com link above has a video of the beetle in flight!

Regards S_G

www.technologyreview.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-2-2009 by xSMOKING_GUNx]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Direct link to the video.

An excellent story and one that continues to highlight our endeavours to understand the physiologies of many biological organisms...including ourselves.

Though it should be noted that this is in no way the first venture into the implantation of animals for the purpose of covert operation (though the proposed 'Search and Rescue' application of the beetle is quite original...
)

Shark Implantation [pdf]

The above is pretty fascinating as it scientists have discovered to manipulate the neurological scent centers...absolutely amazing what is possible these days.

[edit on 3-2-2009 by MemoryShock]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
This is pretty much old news to Conspiracy Heads
but i guess the general public knows now. i wonder about a couple of things, for instance, in the video, the bug is tethered, obviously to not fly away. Could this be painful? its forcing the beetle to do something it isn't naturally choosing to do. In a highly unnatural way. i've done a bit of research concerning flight patterns of bugs, specifically ladybugs and cicadas, but the wings seem to be vibrating much much faster than usual.

i know, i know, they're bugs. No, i'm not getting all PETA on yall, but if it does cause pain, then the ethical and moral aspects of this are increased dramatically. Where would it stop? Animals next? Then Humans? i know from personal experience that this isn't that large of an issue to those who run things, but when the masses find out, what then? Will there be limits imposed on this kind of technology, or will it simply be pushed under a locked door and the pleabians wil be told it never made it to human trials?

Also, voyeuristically speaking, will we be seeing better footage of unsuspecting women showering? Or having alone time?
j/k

Truth is, the implications of this are huge, especially since there's definitely a gap between what they really have, and what they say "we" have.

Love and Peace

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by M157yD4wn
the bug is tethered, obviously to not fly away. Could this be painful? its forcing the beetle to do something it isn't naturally choosing to do. In a highly unnatural way. i've done a bit of research concerning flight patterns of bugs, specifically ladybugs and cicadas, but the wings seem to be vibrating much much faster than usual.

i know, i know, they're bugs. No, i'm not getting all PETA on yall, but if it does cause pain, then the ethical and moral aspects of this are increased dramatically. Where would it stop? Animals next? Then Humans?

Dude!

It is not a real bug!

This, is nanotechnology at it's finest.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by xSMOKING_GUNx
Dude!

It is not a real bug!

This, is nanotechnology at it's finest.

Actually, it is!

Why would they call it a "giant flower beetle" otherwise?

Also they refer to it as a "cyborg".

cyborg

noun
a human being whose body has been taken over in whole or in part by electromechanical devices; "a cyborg is a cybernetic organism"

Source: dictionary.com

new topics

top topics

join