It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What GOP Leaders deem wasteful in Senate stimulus bill

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

I will defend Obama on this one because is fair to do it.

I wont. Because my idea of fair has nothing to do with a "them and us" two party divide. It has to do with what is good for the nation as a whole. And I do not think frivolous spending is the right thing to do regardless which party does it.

I am against propping up incompetent business models by bailing them out. I think all we are assuring is that things will never change. These same incompetents that caused this mess will still be around making messes in 10 years because we are preventing the natural consequence of their incompetence, complete business failure, to occur.

I am not an Obama hater. But I question the wisdom of this huge bailout we cant afford, regardless which party authors it, and if there is no way to convince our leaders to not bail these yo yos out, I am decidedly against a bailout that includes "extras" at a time when we have nothing extra to spend.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
It doesn't matter how much of the package is waste, it must be passed now!!!!! It will be a catastrophe if it's not!!!!

news.yahoo.com...

Hey, Obama, how about getting a grip and ditch the fear mongering that every Dem was bitching that Bush did?

Well, I could always get a job at the Mint. I bet they'll be working some serious overtime printing more money. Hey, Hollywood needs it!!!

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

There is a catastrophe coming if we DO pass this bill. Why?

Because the economists seem to think you can have infinite growth, infinite expansion within a finite system. And you cant.

Their economic models are based on delusional thinking, and it doesnt matter how much money we throw at them, they arent going to work.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

OMG Seriously!??

I say it is to late for them to have my support, they lost that a LONG time ago.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I hope I just overheard this information correctly (or for that matter, maybe I should hope that it was a joke), but here it is folks:

-$650 Million Dollars for the Television Digital Converter Coupon Program.

-$700 Million Dollars for "Quit Smoking" Programs.

-$400 Million Dollars for STD Testing (Via Pelosi).

-$120 Thousand Dollars for Door Bells.

-$600 Thousand Dollars to Convert Gas Autos to Electric (At the Local Level).

-A New Dog Park.

-$600 Million Dollars for a Heritage Trail.

-Prostitute Government Aide.

-$1 Billion Dollars for Puerto Rican Solar Water Heaters (For a total of 81 Jobs).

-$4.19 Billion Dollars towards groups such as ACORN.

-$240 Million Dollars for the "Alteration of Bridges".

-$300 Million Dollars to "Combat Violence Against Women".

-An Increase in Research Grant Credit by 20% in relation to "Energy Conservation and Carbon Capture" (i.e., "Global Warming").

-$5,000 Per Dwelling Unit, in order to "Weatherize" the Unit (i.e., install a Government Controlled Thermostat System).

-$6 Billion Dollars to Renovate Universities.

-$1 Billion Dollars for University Activities.

-$50 Million Dollars to fund Art.

-$600 Million Dollars to NOAA, in order to study "Global Warming".

-$3 Billion Dollars to "Control Crime".

-The Administrator of the "Western Area Power Administration" can call up and utilize $1.75 Billion Dollars at a time, to finance any projects they wish to implement. There is no Secretarial oversight until the amount exceeds this figure, at which time the Administrator and Secretary (Of The Treasury) may allocate and utilize funds up to $3.25 Billion Dollars at Any One Time (Without Congressional Oversight/Approval).

-$2.83 Billion Dollars to use in Expanding WiFi and Broadband Services.

-$150 Million Dollars for "Honey Bee Insurance".

-$200 Million Dollars for Grass Seed.

-$6 Billion Dollars to turn Federal Buildings "Green" (i.e., Increase Energy Efficiency due to "Global Warming").

-$10 Million Dollars simply to inspect "Urban Canals".

-$448 Million Dollars to build a Brand New DHS Headquarters (Even though the Agency itself is only Eight Years Old, and they already have their CTC (Counter-Terrorism Center)).

-$248 Million Dollars to add Furniture to the Brand New DHS Headquarters.

-$224 Million Dollars to the U.S.-Mexico Water Commission.

-$200 Million Dollars for the failed Bio-Fuel idea.

-$160 Million Dollars for "Operating Expenses" of the "Corporation for National and Community Service".

-$40 Million Dollars for the "National Service Trust" of the "Corporation for National and Community Service".

-$25 Million Dollars to "Investigate and Study" River Systems, Watersheds, Bays, Harbors, etc.

-$2 Billion Dollars for Construction Projects resulting from the Aforementioned "Investigations and Studies".

-$1.9 Billion Dollars for "Operating and Maintaining" the Aforementioned "Construction Projects" (Which come about as a result of the "Investigations and Studies").

-$25 Million Dollars for the "Regulating" of the Aforementioned "Operations and Maintenance" pertaining to the "Construction Projects" (Which come about as a result of the "Investigations and Studies").

-$14.4 Billion Dollars to be used towards "Increasing the Efficiency" of both Commercial and Residential Buildings.

-$125 Million Dollars to "Improve" the Sewer System for Washington, D.C.

-Also, added as a particular guideline into this very same Bill, NO MONEY whatsoever may be used towards the Building, Renovation, or Maintenance of Churches, or any Schools, Buildings, Institutions, etc. which allow for any form of Religious Worship whatsoever. Discrimination anyone?

Do not forget President Obama's "Promise", which he put forth on Tuesday, January 6th, 2009, in which he stated:

"We are going to ban all earmarks -- the process by which individual members insert pet projects without review," he explained. "We will create an economic recovery oversight board made up of key administration officials and independent advisors to identify problems early and make sure we are doing all we can to solve it."

President-Elect Obama Vows NO Earmarks In Stimulus Bill

You should also take heed of a fellow Democrat, Representative Jim Cooper (D) of Tennessee, who most notably stated:

"Well, I probably shouldn't tell you this, but I actually got some quiet encouragement from the Obama folks for what I'm doing," said Cooper, one of only 11 Democrats to vote against the economic stimulus plan that passed the House last week.

"They know it's a messy bill and they wanted a clean bill," he said. "Now, I got in terrible trouble with our leadership [Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV), etc.] because they don't care what's in the bill, they just want it to pass and they want it to be unanimous."

"They don't mind the partisan fighting cause that's what they are used to. In fact, they're really good at it -- and they're a little bit worried about what a post-partisan future might look like," Cooper said during the radio interview. "If members actually had to read the bills and figure out whether they are any good or not. We're just told how to vote. We're treated like mushrooms most of the time."

Rep. Jim Cooper (D-TN) Reveals The Truth About Democrat House Leadership

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Mynaeris:

I think it is important to assume that these items were what the GOP identified as pork, that does not mean that the rest of us wouldn't find another 5% pork if we went through the "stimulus" package.

In the true interest of denying ignorance, I present the link for the "stimulus package"
This is the 736 page version. V1
I really don't take all the news clips, agenda twisted pork lists, and sound bite retoric at face value. Instead, try reading it for yourselves, and you find your own pork.
Read what it says, unless you wish to gripe about what someone or some groups listed for you.
Read it for yourselves, I double dare you!

In The Senate of The United States 111th Congress 1st. sess. H.R.1

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join