It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What GOP Leaders deem wasteful in Senate stimulus bill

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Well is nice to see exactly what is going on in our government, now you can tell that no matter the best intentions of somebody like Obama, in our nations politics is powers that overpower the intentions of a president.

Perhaps is time for us the people to stop relying on politicians and start doing what our constitution has given us power to do.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

It isn't nit-picking and it sure as hell isn't picking on Obama (at least from my point of view).

$19 billion, which we don't have, BTW, isn't a measly amount of money. It could be used in much better ways in this bill than spending on pet-projects. And, $19 billion isn't "nit-picky".

Maybe we need a little bit more "nit-pickiness" when it comes to how the government spends our money and what they are calling it.

And, I doubt very seriously that Obama sat down and wrote this stimulus package. So, my beef isn't with Obama on this one. It is with the Democrats in Congress, who DID write this package, who DO support all of the wasteful BS in this package, and who think said BS is stimulating to our wrecked economy.

My beef with Obama will begin when and if he signs a "spending" bill instead of a "stimulus" package.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
Obama promised to cut wasteful spending and earmarks, and here is a giant bill that contains billions of dollars of both.

That is a matter of opinion. As Mynaeris said, the GOP has identified this as pork. I disagree with that. Some of it is, yes, but construction, manufacturing, infrastructure, renovation, repair and engineering are not pork, IMO. They're JOBS.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

skeptic has already listed some of the items in the bill and asked you to explain how they created jobs, which you ignored.

This is not a solution or our problems by any means, perhaps a temporary fix in some areas, but not a solution.

It's useless to argue with you though.

If I had video evidence of Obama randomly punching little kids, you'd find some way to defend him.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by skeptic1
I don't care if it is .5%.....it is still waste and nowhere near "stimulating" for the economy.

But it IS stimulating. Any time you have construction, manufacturing, infrastructure, renovation, repair and engineering, you've got jobs.

Then, they can't be accused of "waste" and the Repubs will be "happy" and sign off on this "stimulus" package.

I would bet you $100 that if Obama took ALL of this out of the bill, and lowered the total cost of the bill from $900 Billion to $881 Billion, the GOP would not give up one vote. They're not going to be happy with anything Obama does and they're going to stand in his way every step of the way.

My point is BH - This is how it is done -

CLINTON gets some WOWIES
and its time to spend $$$$$$$$$$ on an investigation.

II's throws a dart at a map and creates a war that is costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$??????????????????

However GLOP spending, as mentioned above does not count - (has something to do with dirt bikes and PBR I suppose).

Obama should have known better than to give the chimps any turds to chuck. Its the same old thing - If there was ZERO ammo there would be zero
chatter from the sociopaths, the party of RESPONSIBILITY.

There's a time to push pet projects - as his first substantial act -" SURGICAL" would have been the most intelligent approach IMO.

Now I have to hear crap from these peoples... Now I have to agree with some of these people
who are so FOS its ridiculous

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Every bill that is passed in this nation has more pork than many will like to accept, we have debated many of them.

This stimulus bill is not different, at least the pork is relegated to a minimum and even you can not deny that fact.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I read the article about the Democratic bill, and I agree, most of it isnt what I think we should be spending on at the moment.

Then there was a link to the Republican alternative.

www.cnn.com...

The $713 billion plan was put together by Florida Sen. Mel Martinez, who has been working with a handful of other GOP senators.

The proposal includes $430 billion in tax cuts, $114 billion for infrastructure projects, $138 billion for extending unemployment insurance, food stamps and other provisions to help those in need and $31 billion to address the housing crisis.

Except for the obligatory Republican tax cuts (which I dont agree with while our deficit and spending is so incredibly high) the rest looks a lot like what is usually attributed to Democrats, social spending.

Interesting. The Democrats want to spend for Homeland Security, and the Republicans want to spend on food stamps.

I think this is one of the signs of the apocalypse from Revelations, isnt it?

[edit on 3-2-2009 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

If I had video evidence of Obama randomly punching little kids, you'd find some way to defend him.

I can't tell you how many times I have said that in the past to CONS like you, in regards to II.

Weird role reversal to say the least.

Its like COWS cooking the cowboys.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Kernel Korn

We could always spend that money on an unwinnable war on the other side of the planet. I don't think the GOP would mind that. Halliburton would LOVE it. Oh, that's how we started down this path. Forget it.

Yeah the GOP won't mind that, neither does anyone in the government because now we are going to step up efforts in afghanistan.

We don't have the money for anything anymore...THIS SHOULD TRUMP EVERYTHING.

Come on people!!!

I'm going to get burned on this...but we are a nation of sellouts.
Everyone bitches about the other guy getting money but it's ok when the checks are sent to them.

It doesn't matter who it goes to...you are in debting generations to come with so much that they will be paying far more money in taxes then we are now, and we think we pay too much now as it is. They will all be slaves, working off OUR DEBT to the government!

Is this what everyone wants?

Selfish sellouts.

Flame me i really don't care anymore.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Bald Champion
I can't tell you how many times I have said that in the past to CONS like you, in regards to II.

Except I'm not a "CON" by any means.

Thanks though.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
reply to post by Kernel Korn

We could always spend that money on an unwinnable war on the other side of the planet. I don't think the GOP would mind that. Halliburton would LOVE it. Oh, that's how we started down this path. Forget it.

Yeah the GOP won't mind that, neither does anyone in the government because now we are going to step up efforts in afghanistan.

Come on people!!!

I'm going to get burned on this...but we are a nation of sellouts.
Everyone bitches about the other guy getting money but it's ok when the checks are sent to them.

It doesn't matter who it goes to...you are in debting generations to come with so much that they will be paying far more money in taxes then we are now, and we think we pay too much now as it is. They will all be slaves, working off OUR DEBT to the government!

Is this what everyone wants?

Selfish sellouts.

Flame me i really don't care anymore.

Once again I agree -

I think we are $@$@$@$, completely $#@$$@#$#@$@$@#$@%!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Bald Champion

Except I'm not a "CON" by any means.

Thanks though.

Well,,, If your not a conservative than I must be a fascist.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by The Bald Champion

Well generally "con" is used to describe "neo-cons", which I am not.

I'm an old-school Conservative, not a new age liberal wannabe neo-conservative.

I wouldn't expect anyone to know though.

It's much easier to make assumptions about people.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
OK folks, let's keep to the topic and the members here aren't the topic.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I understand they are jobs, but are there not more important jobs that could be created, I once again speak about some form of microfinancing of new and innovative industries? Why build more government buildings when the ones you already have are quite adequate during a recession. Or why have a nonsensical census during this time.

If I was going broke wouldn't I want to look at long term employment rather than buy a new dress because I will be employing a seamstress for a day.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

Because it isn't job creation to actually make long lasting real jobs. It's job creation for the sake of job creation, and most of them are more government jobs.

It's useless.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I am not going to flame you. I agree completely. This is a time for tightening the belt, and not spending on frivolous crap by either side. And it is not the time to be handing out tax cuts to anyone, particularly to those who are receiving big handouts, corporations.

Something needs to be done, but deficit spending is what got us into this mess, both by individuals, our governments, and corporations. I fail to see how more of the same is going to get us out of it.

Isnt the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

The problem with what our system of government has become is that both parties have "favors to pay" and the lobbyist in Washington are making sure their "investments" do not stray to far away.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Isnt the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

They have to be. I swear they are tanking the country on purpose. It doesn't make sense.

We see the problem, we know what caused it, we know how to stop it, SO WE KEEP DOING IT?

Sometimes i don't know whether to be angry or laugh...it's all become such a joke.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

They have to be. I swear they are tanking the country on purpose. It doesn't make sense.

We see the problem, we know what caused it, we know how to stop it, SO WE KEEP DOING IT?

Sometimes i don't know whether to be angry or laugh...it's all become such a joke.

Thats the definition of CHINESE insanity.

The problem is DAVID- We do not all agree on what the problem is,

What is the problem for you?

For me its the war

Flat lined wages

GREED

Some BS social programs

and some more

GREED x 1000000000000000

to start...

[edit on 3-2-2009 by The Bald Champion]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>