It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What GOP Leaders deem wasteful in Senate stimulus bill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

What GOP Leaders deem wasteful in Senate stimulus bill

www.cnn.com

On Monday, House Republican leaders put out a list of what they call wasteful provisions in the Senate version of the nearly $900 billion stimulus bill that is being debated:

A $246 million tax break for Hollywood movie producers to buy motion picture film.
• $448 million for constructing the Department of Homeland Security headquarters.

• $248 million for furniture at the new Homeland Security headquarters.

• $600 million to buy hybrid vehicles for federal employees.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I think it would be interesting to read what others think of Obama's "Stimulus" package. I(The GOP have taken it apart a bit so you can choose your own pork). t seems he has gifts in it for all his favorite lobbyists - some of whom he has recently appointed. Some for his favorite Hollywood supporters.

Does Obama understand the crisis the country is in? Looking at this list I am really afraid of what's coming. Which way to the survival threads?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I think that if the majority of people really cared about what the gop thought at this point Obama wouldn't have been elected. So the people will support the opposite of what they suggest. If they were smart they might want to try some reverse psychology lol

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Well while I agree with all of the above I do not agree with no getting hybrid vehicles for the federal employees.

The just need to make it mandatory that they should be Americas made cars

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The amount of provisions being attached should come as no surprise, given the amount of "pork" attached to the bailout - sorry, stimulus package
- for the financial industry in order to get the required votes to pass.
That's how most bills get passed historically and the buggers don't even read them before signing on the dotted line.

After all, it's not your money, it's theirs....isn't it?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
How DARE any of you question Prince Obama's plan for change!

On a serious note, it is things like this that puts me 100% against government running our healthcare system. Nothing the government does is efficient or fair. They always have a favor to return or a debt to repay.

This bailout is absolutely ridiculous, its borderline funny. With as much of an impact this will have on the citizens of this country, we should be allowed to vote on it. Not the politicians who are in bed with the lobbyists.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by slicobacon

I couldn't agree more!

My ideal world would be a tax return where I , as the person generating the income, decide where I want my money to go to. Example:Education 20%,Healthcare 30% etc etc

War in Iraq? 0%
Assistance to Israel 0%
Repairing goverment buildings 0%
Paying salaries for incompetent elected officials 0%

And once they have established from all the returns what percentage of the total revenue each department has been allocated they can draw up the budget and work within it.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
It's not a stimulus bill people!

Obama and the Democrats are only calling it that because they think the American people are too stupid to know the difference.

It's a pork spending bill, plain and simple.

Not only is Obama quite possibly the biggest idiot we've ever had in the white house, he's also the biggest fraud.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I agree.... And I also think they have allot of brass to talk about spending when the GOP
over saw the largest spending in US history. Hypocrisy is not inherent to LIBRALS
alone. Its like eating a turd with Mustard or taking it with grilled onions.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
It's not a stimulus bill people!

Obama and the Democrats are only calling it that because they think the American people are too stupid to know the difference.

It's a pork spending bill, plain and simple.

Not only is Obama quite possibly the biggest idiot we've ever had in the white house, he's also the biggest fraud.

If you don't include the II coming...

Like I said its nice after the GOP just went on the largest spending spree in US history.

Drive the car off the cliff, get out and blame the car.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

And I also think they have allot of brass to talk about spending when the GOP over saw the largest spending in US history.

The past is irrelevant. They are the ones standing up for the American people right now, so they have my full support.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

lol.. I bet they will be Toyota Prius. Nothing says manly soldier then a Toyota Prius.

Anywho, half the stuff listed is trash, half seems like it wouldn't be so bad. Computers for community colleges, the Smithsonian etc. Headquarters for Homeland Security? .. I thought Dems wanted to shut that shell of an organization down?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Now we are on this thread. Well my friend, can you please explain then how the 'conservative' Bush stacks up against Obama? Or do you not like what his admin did with their 'fiscal' responsibilities too? Because he, being Bush of course, borrowed in his 8 years more than EVERY SINGLE PRESIDENT COMBINED in our history. Our debt went from 3 trillion to 10 in his 8 years. Sure, over the past 2 a lot of that growth in debt can be attributed to both parties. However, he was at the head of the country when this happened. Is he not the biggest idiot and fraud?

And if you want to defend against the fraud claim, well, tell me how he truly represented the republican views and standards? He spent like he was a democrat with an 'R' next to his name. He was a HUGE fraud.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by dariousg
Well my friend, can you please explain then how the 'conservative' Bush stacks up against Obama?

There was no "conservative" Bush, but nice try.

However, he was at the head of the country when this happened. Is he not the biggest idiot and fraud?

Not anymore.

He was a HUGE fraud.

When did I say he wasn't?

You make a lot of assumptions my friend. None of them accurate.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
This is the government spending our money and sending out Obama bucks as a way to 'help' and 'stimulate' the economy. Want to help the economy, cut back on taxes so I can have a surplus each week. Cut FICA to 5% for 3 years and you will see not only consumer spending skyrocket but also employers will not be as burdened.

Tax cuts...that is the only way. However, due to a media campaign that sucked a BILLION dollars from our economy, and a good one it was I mean, tell me a time from convention to election that you did not go a minute without hearing or seeing something that dealt with Obama.

It is sickening to think that there are veterans, children and elderly who worked and put in their time who are not going to benefit but our country will go green? How about we tell the auto industry that whoever comes up with a total green car for under 7000 that they can be bailed out????

They give themselves(the boys in DC) raises while there are children starving in middle america. We needed change and we got more of the same, well, at least those who voted for him did. Some of us knew we had no chance....watch this video an see who elected our president and why it will all pass....

Link to video

this bill is sickening.......

[edit on 3-2-2009 by esdad71]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

No assumptions. I just asked you if you believed he was right. If you read what I wrote you will see that I was asking your opinion. I was being serious but I think the other threads tone may have had you in a mood of looking for the worse in my post instead of the legitimate question in order for me to find out where you stand.

I just wanted to see if you were showing double standards which you aren't. That's all. I understand that you do not like Obama. I'm completely with you on this 'stimulus' bill. I was just trying to understand completely where you are coming from.

This bill will hurt this country as much as the Bush administration did in their last few years if not more. Not because of the amount of money involved but because of the timing. We cannot afford a hit like this. The super inflation risk is great and it's like they are ignoring all of the history out there of countries that did the same thing. I forget the country off the top of my head but in Africa they just removed 12 zeroes from their currency. 1 trillion dollars is now 1 dollar. And they just DID this like half a year ago.

We cannot afford to get into that position. We MUST stop creating money out of thin air in order to pay off special interests.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Okay, I re-read my post and can see how you would have taken it as an aggressive post instead of one looking for a legitimate answer.
I got interrupted on my break here and my train of thought went off tilt. I apologize. But I was being serious.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

And I also think they have allot of brass to talk about spending when the GOP over saw the largest spending in US history.

The past is irrelevant. They are the ones standing up for the American people right now, so they have my full support.

Ya they had yer full support all along...

Good for them! We should have gone with PALIN! Eye like her glasses...

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Good for them! We should have gone with PALIN!

You joke, but I wonder in all honesty if she would be about ram over a trillion dollars in wasteful spending under the lie of a "stimulus" down our throats.

I don't think so.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
All this Bush that and Bush this. WHO CARES?!
Bush is gone and the Change Master Obama is in. But there is no change with him. He will superceede all the GOP/Bush in spending and put us into further debt. And he has a huge jump start in his first month
Imagine where we will be in 4 years.
And whomever said this is not a stimulas package but a spending package is correct. Obama is starting off by driving our country further into the hole it already was in. Good job Obama!
This 'stimulas' package will have no bearing on my life at all. It wont stimulate my life nor anyone else I know. I guess my life as a US citizen just doesnt matter.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join