It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Private Political Funding - Ban It

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Here in the UK there have been a number of scandals regarding funds received by MP's. However this isn't enough. When i suggest that all political parties receive equal funding i get ridiculed. Many ask why they should pay for parties to advertise. The people who are against this are undermining democracy!

Imagine right now that you are an MP, or a member of the US senate. A private company comes up to you and offers to give you 30% of the funds needed to get you re-elected. You get your election and win. Ask yourself, when this company comes to you and asks you to vote a certain way on a law, which way will you vote? If you go against them then the next time you're up for election they will withdraw funding and no doubt will tell others to do the same. Without funding you will fail and lose your job. You will lose your power and basically be discredited.

This is the hold that corporations have over our politicians. Not just the UK and USA but the other countries in this world. When you have a political system that relies upon private funding to help candidates stay in their position, you have a corrupted system that will pander to the whims of anyone with the money to supply victory to that candidate.

Yes, enacting this policy would require tax payer money, however ask yourself if a little extra money is worth the chance of an unbiased democracy or republic.

I would happily pay this money.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
How very astute of you! I have been stating this for... oh, at least 20 years. S&F for you, my friend!!! The problem that you run into is the claim of "Freedom of speech." By curbing or restricting campaign contributions, some dumbass claimed that it was a restriction on freedom of speech.

Now, looking at it logically, please tell me what is free about speech that is bought and paid for?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Hey i'm only 24 so you having stated it for 20 years maens you had a serious headstart on me
Anyway i've been going on about this ever since i was old enough to understand politics. I just don't understand why we allow private funding of politicians. All private funding does is allow corporations to "encourage" politicians to vote in laws favouring them.

How is this the basis of a democracy or a republic when corporations and lobby groups can pass laws favouring them by simply paying people?

I can only commend you for realising this 20 years ago when most people still don't see it today.

EDIT

A republic or a democracy works for the people, not private companies. Private companies employ the people but do not support the people. They support profit and profits have no regard for the rights of people, the environment or the idea of transparency.

[edit on 3-2-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
And we're living in a democracy of course, aren't we?
Uh uh.
More like an 'elected dictatorship.'
There are other more pressing issues to be addressed in terms of the UK's system of government.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I'll spend my own money however I want. Free speech, association, an contract.

I guess you'd rather...have the government decide who gets political funding?

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
And we have discussed this on ATS before but also good to give it an airing again.

But who decided which parties get state funding if you ban private funding?

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

agreed

Cheers

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
I'll spend my own money however I want. Free speech, association, an contract.

I guess you'd rather...have the government decide who gets political funding?

Well if we could elect reasonable people that wouldn't to bad... The default is let our country go to hell by COMPANIES ( not people ) who have no allegiance to the USA.

B.A charged $30,000,000 to process their own TARP bailout? #@#$@#$ big money!

The government is intended to be our collective will... Private money is interested in collecting more private money regardless of the conscience to the nation.

new topics

top topics

join