It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey's position in ME

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I suppose you all heard about the clash between Erdogan and Peres in Davos Conference. I think this event shows that Turkey's Mıddle East politic is changing clearly. In fact, Turkey and Israel are allies since many years. Both countries need each other both in political and economical sense, but mostly in political sense (because of the neighbours). But it seems things are changing because of the wrong political agenda of US. Because of the agressiveness of US, Syria but especially Iran become main actors in Mıddle East. Actually this is what Turkey wouldnt want. Sınce a couple of years, Turkey's economical and political position is getting stronger and I think Turkey is now slowly going back to old idea of Ottoman Empire. Remember that under Ottoman Empire, all cultures and religions, muslims, jews, even christians lived peacefully in Middle East together. In my opinion Turkey is trying to play the Ottoman Card in Mıddle East. Of course it is not possible to bring the Empire back but the myth of Ottomans seems to continue, especially if we observe the Pro-Erdogan celebration in Arab countries after Davos event. Another thing is, that Turkey really wants to establish peace in the Middle East, because in the near future they will make another alternative energy line, an alternative to Russia-Ukraine line. Anyway, these are my first thoughts on this issue. Do you have something to add or to object?

[edit on 3-2-2009 by deccal]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I think you're reading too far into this. Turkey is pissed because of the continued genocidal campaign against the Palestinians which is seemingly blessed by the US and Europe. It is not that Turkey desires to rekindle some lost empire, rather they prefer to dispose of a new one before it is completed - that being the US, Israel and Europe hegemony.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

I fully agree with you. I don't see any New Ottoman empire springing up because of Erdogan walking out in Davos. In fact I highly praise Erdogan for leaving rather than dealing with israel trying to whitewash their behavior at each and every meeting. In fact I keep wondering why Israel is allowed to blame every other country at every forum? When will western countries follow Erdegun's action and start telling Israel to start behaving. If you spare the rod you spoil the child.

new topics

join