It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Mars Open!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Google Mars

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I present you, Google Mars. Looking pretty sweet so far. Enjoy!

Edit: Now it's stuck on a continuous image...
guess it went down pretty fast. Sorry folks.

[edit on 3-2-2009 by IKnowNothing]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
not much to see on it, I wonder why the rest isn't shown

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I think Google Mars was launched in 2006.

Google Earth 5 has new data that Google Mars does not have, higher resolution images from Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter and from Mars Express.

It also has height data, allowing us to have views like this one.

Or this one from VIctoria crater.

(Click on the images to full size view)

Edited to add that it also shows some panoramas from the rovers, like this one.

[edit on 3/2/2009 by ArMaP]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Perhaps the OP is refering this article from February 2:

NASA And Google Launch Virtual Exploration Of Mars

NASA and Google have announced the release of a new Mars mode in Google Earth that brings to everyone's desktop a high-resolution, three-dimensional view of the Red Planet.

Besides providing a rich, immersive 3D view of Mars that will aid public understanding of Mars science, the new mode, Google Mars 3D, also gives researchers a platform for sharing data similar to what Google Earth provides for Earth scientists.

The mode enables users to fly virtually through enormous canyons and scale huge mountains on Mars that are much larger than any found on Earth. Users also can explore the Red Planet through the eyes of the Mars rovers and other Mars missions, providing a unique perspective of the entire planet.

Users can see some of the latest satellite imagery from NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter and other probes orbiting the Red Planet. Viewers can learn about new discoveries and explore indexes of available Mars imagery. The new Mars mode also allows users to add their own 3D content to the Mars map to share with the world.

Today's announcement is the latest benefit from a Space Act Agreement NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif., signed with Google in November 2006. Under its terms, NASA and Google agreed to collaborate to make NASA's data sets available to the world.

Screenshot of new Google Earth program, showing Mars. (Credit: Image: NASA/USGS; courtesy of Google Earth)
www.sciencedaily.com...

NASA's press release:
www.nasa.gov...

I'm not sure if this already has been released or excactly when it will be released.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
sweeet....... a whole new area to find bizzare and interesting airbrushed artifacts !!!!

will this be any good or what or will it be touched up to all buggery

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

It was already released, the images I posted are from my computer running Google Earth 5.

After downloading it you can choose what you want to see, Earth, sky or Mars.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Oh, I see. So the press release was really just about the new mode, "Google Mars 3D", then.

But it still sounds like a cool thing!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
looking at mars and the moon images really tell the tale of impact of asteroids, meteors, etc.

i have to give some kudos to the system (atmosphere?) that helps destroy these incoming objects approaching earth's atmosphere.

mars is heavily pock marked as the moon. i guess this seems like an argument that maybe they don't have the atmosphere that we do. -- after seeing threads about planets that do have atmospheres.

new topics

top topics

join