It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghan War Supplies May Come Via Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Afghan War Supplies May Come Via Iran

www.military.com

KABUL - NATO would not oppose individual member nations making deals with Iran to supply their forces in Afghanistan as an alternative to using increasingly risky routes from Pakistan, the alliance's top military commander said Monday.

Gen. John Craddock's comments came just days after NATO's secretary general, Jaap de Hoop Scheffer, urged the U.S. and other members of the Western military alliance to engage with Iran to combat Taliban militants in Afghanistan.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
It appears that the United Nations first started urging member nations fighting in Afghanistan a few days ago to start considering Iran as an alternate route to move vital war supplies to the troops in Afghanistan. The supply situation has grown more and more precarious in Afghanistan as the border region in Pakistan slips further into militant lawlessness. U.S. Troops are running short on many vital supplies and more personal luxuries offered through the commissaries to the troops are becoming non-existent according to recent news reports.

For U.S. Generals to now be condoning other NATO Coalition Members to consider using Iran as a route into Afghanistan is either an act of desperation or a changing of the times and a possible byproduct of new foreign policy initiatives on Obama’s part.

Is it possible why Israel still agitates for war with Iran on an almost daily basis, that quietly U.N. and U.S. Officials are going to begin region out to the Islamic Nation as a means to counter the loud cries from some conservative and religious corners to back Israel on a strike against Iran?

Some interesting facts about Iran the Iranians have absolutely no love for Afghanistan, Al Qaeda, or the Taliban. The Afghans for years have been using Iran as a conduit for opium/heroin sales, plus, the Taliban murdered a number of Iranian diplomats and their families.

It is ironic that the Iranians offered the US (just after 9/11) not only to bury the hatchet on all past problems with a serious desire to resolve them, but also gave the US considerable intelligence on the Taliban and Al Qaeda (and supported the Iraq operations as well). Notably, Iran was the first nation to offer condolences and aid on 9/11 to the US.

They also offered the US use of their facilities and airfields to support logistical operations, and furthermore offered use of their hospitals to care for any wounded soldiers.

Imagine their surprise when the Bush Administration added them to the "axis of evil"

Could it be things might be changing?

www.military.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

stared and flagged

after seeing how usefull pakistan is
it would be amusing to see the US and others Use Iran to supply their forces
after all they say about them and all the sanctions they brought apon Iran

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Most, if not all, of recent US policy regarding Iran has been Israeli driven anyway. They just don't want anyone strong enough to oppose them in the region.
In the years leading up to GWB's idiotic "Axis of Evil" speech, Iran was making inroads towards greater acceptance in the west. Afterwards they naturally became more defensive in their actions again which was hardly surprising.

Unfortunately, until the USA stop allowing Israeli policy to drive their actions, they'll continue the sabre rattling and provocation. With Clinton in charge of the State Dept., having already pledged unswerving support against Iran to Israels FM, and the number of members of the US administration and both houses taking money from AIPAC, I don't see this position changing any time soon.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

after seeing how usefull pakistan is it would be amusing to see the US and others Use Iran to supply their forces after all they say about them and all the sanctions they brought apon Iran

Clausewitz said war is a continuation of politics by other means. I have no idea who said politics makes for strange bed fellows but isn't it the truth?

I think they went about it the wrong way but I think Iran has gotten a bum rap from us since they ousted the Shaw. The Embassy take over was a pretty shameless thing, but so too was how we brought the Shaw's father to power and helped them maintain their rule in a country that was ambivalant about them at best, and hated them at worst.

Someone has to have the courage to change the status quo and they sure have been trying to in a lot of ways since the late 70's. Maybe persistence will pay off for them finally?

Thanks for the post!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

it would be amusing to see the US and others Use Iran to supply their forces
after all they say about them and all the sanctions they brought apon Iran

Well I would reread the post Iran is not supplying NATO they are being considered to USE Iran as supply routes.

Which brings up the point of security for the "Supplies"

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Doesn't surprise me at all:

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — Supplies intended for NATO forces in Afghanistan were suspended Tuesday after Taliban militants blew up a highway bridge in the Khyber Pass region, a lawless northwestern tribal area straddling the border with Afghanistan.

Hidayatullah Khan, a government official in the region, was quoted by Reuters as saying that the 30-yard-long iron bridge was located 15 miles northwest of Peshawar, the capital of the restive North-West Frontier Province.[/ex

Source

They cannot rely on the Pakistan route.

[edit on 3-2-2009 by Mdv2]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Unfortunately, until the USA stop allowing Israeli policy to drive their actions, they'll continue the sabre rattling and provocation. With Clinton in charge of the State Dept., having already pledged unswerving support against Iran to Israels FM, and the number of members of the US administration and both houses taking money from AIPAC, I don't see this position changing any time soon.

I agree it is a situation well out of hand at the moment. I have to say that their is a huge amount of support for Israel and a strong anti-Islamic current still lapping at American society in general. The free propoganda ride is over though when it comes to the Internet and I have been surprised to see how many people in the United States and in other Western Nations really are not taking the East versus West, Islam versus Judean/Christians bait and are denouncing the foolishness on both sides.

I do think the economic crisis is driving some of that sentiment. That some Americans just are against helping anyone but ourselves right now. Some of it is a growing number of people who won't follow the religious argument, they are either agnostic, athiest, or have some other new age religion, or egads, actually practice the tenants of Christianity and prefer turning the other cheek. Of course there are a few racists in the mix too. The numbers add up to a significant opposition whose oppinions can't be controlled or entirely stopped. Israel does a pretty good job at trying to contain the web but in my humble oppinion they are loosing that battle to something called truth and fairplay.

It takes two sides to tango but if the United Nations is ever going to work it has to be respected all of the time by all of the nations, and it should be far more than just an economic development social networking opportunity for the world's elite.

I think this is a good development? I hope something positive comes of it for Iran and the United States and Afghanistan.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Well I would reread the post Iran is not supplying NATO they are being considered to USE Iran as supply routes.

Excellent point Slayer thanks! There is a good chance nothing might come of this except some of the NATO forces have maintained much better relations with Iran than we have and Pakistan seems to be on the outs in more ways than one at the moment.

I have to say I don't entirely trust Iran or any foriegn culture, they eat with their fingers and belly dancers are great but hey, a little less shaking would work out to a little less hair in my food please! Napkin anyone? I appreciate foreign cultures though so I can suffer through a Persian Stew or some Matza if need be from time to time and even enjoy the look at and exchange with other cultures.

I think the Iranians are far shrewder than we like to portray them though. I think they would likely run their end on the up and up just to prove they are on the up and up. It concerns me some of the rhetoric out of Theran but the languages can be hard to translate and the powers that be have a way of twisting things for public consumption.

I have to be honest though, I have to wonder what would happen if Israel said to Iran, hey don't bring Russia in here, let us help you build and maintain your nuclear reactors, hey you know it's a big universe, could be space aliens out there how about a few ICBM'S to go with that order and supersize it with a large beverage?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

They cannot rely on the Pakistan route.

They sure can't and the truth is that if we are going to ask our people to risk life and limb no matter how right or wrong they should enjoy all the proper logistical support we are capable of. If that means warming up with Iran to get our troops the essentials and comforts then I think we should in my humble oppinion.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

the term Use Iran to supply means
they would be using Iran as a supply route
sorry if i wasnt clear

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Suspected Islamic militants blew up a bridge in northwest Pakistan on Tuesday, closing a crucial supply line for NATO troops in Afghanistan as the military reported killing 35 extremists in the region.

Military.com

top topics

join