It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is our personal information at risk?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Look at the following website.

www.casebreakers.com...

Do you know how easy it is for people to access your personal records and information? It's insane. I can access just about anyones personal records, on-line, just by the click of a mouse. Doesn't this make you nervous?

I think it is time we put a stop to this. The world as we know it is changing, and slowly evolving into a world where anyone and everyone can access information about other people, just by logging on to the internet. Credit card info, SSN's, birth & death records, medical records, mental health records, academic records, etc. The list goes on and on.

You don't necessarily have to have access to everything to determine a person's status, just bits and peices. Combine those together to complete the puzzle, and there you have it.

For example, I know a website where you can purchase birth certificates for $15, and all you need is:

Full Name
DOB
POB
COB
SSN
Mother's Maiden Name

This info is relatively easy to come by. Once a birth certificate is obtained, then you apply for a driver's license. Once that is obtained (with your picture), then you apply for credit cards, bank accounts, etc.

Identity theft is becoming so easy, it's scary. Isn't it time we do something about this?

Mr. M

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Here is another website that has HUGE resources pertaining to personal information.

www.lexisnexis.com...

www.lexisnexis.com...

Mr. M

[Edited on 13-4-2004 by StarChild]

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 05:59 AM
link   
This was done on British TV recently. They faked all the documents and managed to clone the identity of a famous person. They had drivers licence, credit cards, ran up a debt, and all using a borrowed identity.

It is worrying how easy it is, and this is one of the fastest growing crimes at the moment, as a Google news search shows.

Still, we'll all have identity cards and veri-chips soon, that will get rid of this problem and only allow the governents to track us and use our identity.

Good post, sir.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zzub
It is worrying how easy it is, and this is one of the fastest growing crimes at the moment.

Well of course it is. If there wasn't a 'Problem' of major impact, there would be no reason to take 'Action', nor would there be need for a 'Solution'. There's that old 'Problem-Action-Solution' trend again. Kinda makes ya wonder how many of these Security Problems have been Made and/or Abused by the same exact people who Supply the Solutions, doesn't it?? After all, who would be interested in Sacrificing their Personal Privacy or Personal Freedom, if there wasn't a threat that someone else is trying to steal it?? (Hint, Hint)

Still, we'll all have identity cards and veri-chips soon, that will get rid of this problem and only allow the governents to track us and use our identity.

I sure hope you see why that is a BAD IDEA. Have you ever thought about the fact that, 24/7 Monitoring and Compliance to a Faulty System of Government, has really just been the plan all along?? New ID Cards and even Bio-Implants also will NOT stop these kinds of problems. They might pause them for a bit and will surely slow them down for a while too.

However, it won't be too long until there is another "Problem" which requires an even more intrusive "Solution". I have no doubt that our wonderful government will just happen to have a possible solution for everyone too, and the herds will all run to them begging for the new imporved 'Ear Tag' or whatever it is that they've come up with.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 06:50 AM
link   
You're right mOjOm. That is what it will eventually come down to. I just hope it isn't in my lifetime.

Mr. M

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarChild
Look at the following website.
www.casebreakers.com...
Do you know how easy it is for people to access your personal records and information?
Mr. M

Whats sad is...they charge for things that are FREE FREE I tell you!!!
IE "SSN verification search only $8 today" nawww
go here

www.searchbug.com...

this is also a good site

www.netskills.ac.uk...

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm
Whats sad is...they charge for things that are FREE FREE I tell you!!!
IE "SSN verification search only $8 today" nawww
go here

www.searchbug.com...

Well, that was pretty scary. I'd have to say if you own property, they can find you. All you need is a last name, initial and state.
Too bad you can't opt out of these things

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
That's exactly my point!!!

We don't have a say in whether or not our information is made public. It just is. THAT is what disturbs me.

Mr. M

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOmI sure hope you see why that is a BAD IDEA.

Indeed, I was trying to use sarcasm

Personally, I don't mind identity cards, but I would never let them inject me with tracking chips.

This leads me to a thought I had. When my son was born, a nurse gave him a blood test. It involved sticking a large needle into his heel with considerable force. Apparently, this is always done in the UK. It made me wonder if they were taking blood or sticking in a chip. Hmm.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Why would they pull blood from the heel? Sounds like a strange area for taking blood, in my opinion. Why not use the arm, as usual?

Mr. M

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:14 AM
link   
In a newborn, you can't take blood from the viens, apparently. I did ask at the time. It was a horrible experience, the boy was screaming and the nurse had to press quite hard to get blood.

It didn't look like a blood sample was being taken. I meant to bring it up at the time.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Yeah, I don't know, man. I think that is kind of strange. If anyone ever tried to stick me in the ankle for blood, I'd tell them to go to hell.

Mr. M

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   

In a newborn, you can't take blood from the viens, apparently. I did ask at the time. It was a horrible experience, the boy was screaming and the nurse had to press quite hard to get blood.

It didn't look like a blood sample was being taken. I meant to bring it up at the time.

That's freakin weird man!! Did you ever get any results?? What kind of 'Test' was it, and why??

A few thoughts:
1.) Testing for Blood type or minor things like that only takes a Drop of blood. Only time you need to take vials of blood is for more serious things.

2.) I can't imagine that a 'New Born's Skin" could be all that tough to get a needle into it.

3.) Once it was in, did they Pull Back on the Plunger or did they Push it In?? Did you see the Blood being extracted into the Vial??

I'd be interested to know just what the hell that was all about!!

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   

They do the heel, cause it is the best place to do it in. Yes it is a little painful but better than trying to stick their arms. Plus they need it for PKU and other nasty critters.
"infants be screened for the following seven diseases:
congenital hypothyroidism, phenylketonuria (PKU), galactosemia,
hemoglobinopathies, congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH), medium chain acyl-
CoA dehydrogenase (MCAD) deficiency, and biotinidase deficiency."
MY SO who is a CCRN (Critical Care RN) hates it when they do several heel sticks on the same baby.
And she does what is called cluster sticks ---see example---
"Only a single drop of blood is needed for this (okay, two drops- always wipe away the first drop and get your reading on the second), and doing a heelstick, IMO, is unnecessary/excessive unless you're also obtaining other blood samples at the same time (ie, for AM labs or for a blood gas, which brings me to another point- CLUSTER YOUR STICKS! Coordinate your care with the respiratory team so that you can minimize the number of times the baby gets stuck whenever possible!). The lancets used for heelsticks (like the Tenderfoot lancets- the white/pink or blue/pink ones?) have longer blades that go a bit deeper; they're meant for larger blood samples. When getting a glucose sample only, you can use a smaller lancet (like the tiny pink lancets or the white ones with the blue push button- I've seen both and have no idea who makes them, but hopefully you'll know what I'm talking about). Also, you can get a glucose from the big toe or thumb, or, if you have to, any of the fingers or toes (and alternate your sites so that the puncture areas have a chance to heal). If your unit is doing heelsticks for just blood glucose, I would highly suggest that you talk to your supervisor about this in a non-confrontational, professional way and find out why. If people are doing this regularly, perhaps this is a practice that should be changed- maybe you can get an inservice from someone to teach everyone on the unit the proper way to draw blood? Someone from phlebotomy? An NNP? A nurse who has done her research? Don't be afraid to question! Advocate for the babies! No one can ever fault you for looking out for the best interest of the babies, even if you are incorrect"

They use their head for IV's (in lil tiny preemies) cause it is also easy to do, and the baby will have less of a chance to pull it out. It's scary for a parent to walk in and see this, but my SO does a good job of explaining why it is needed and it is for the comfort of the baby also.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Thanks, NetStorm for taking the time to explain this. I did not seriously expect anything evil was going on, but at the same time I could not understand why it had to be so.

My thanks.

[Edited on 13-4-2004 by Zzub]

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Netstorm, are you a doctor?

Mr. M

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarChild
Netstorm, are you a doctor?

Mr. M

No Sir, I am not but I do have extensive medical knowledge .

Zzub no problem my friend, if you have any other questions, I can get the info for you or have my SO answer you.

top topics

join