It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush's War Totals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   

The human cost of Bush's war on the Iraqis: 1 million dead. 4.5 million displaced. 1 million to 2 million widows. 5 million orphans. Now that Bush is gone, perhaps the US can honestly face the damage we have wrought and the responsibilities we must accept from it, says John Tirman. the United Nations estimates that there are about 4.5 million displaced Iraqis -- more than half of them refugees -- or about one in every six citizens. Only 5 percent have chosen to return to their homes over the past year, a period of reduced violence from the high levels of 2005-07. The availability of healthcare, clean water, functioning schools, jobs and so forth remains elusive. According to Unicef, many provinces report that less than 40 percent of households have access to clean water. More than 40 percent of children in Basra, and more than 70 percent in Baghdad, cannot attend school.

www.middle-east-online.com...

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Wed Feb 18 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Do people look at the numbers that are claimed on some of these websites? Estimated 1 million dead and estimated 1 million to 2 million widows. While polygamy may be allowed under islamic law it is not widespread in Iraq. These numbers claim there are more widows than there are dead from the conflict. I would take them with a grain of salt.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
The mortality caused by the war is also high. Several household surveys were conducted between 2004 and 2007. While there are differences among them, the range suggests a congruence of estimates. But none have been conducted for eighteen months, and the two most reliable surveys were completed in mid-2006. The higher of those found 650,000 "excess deaths" (mortality attributable to war); the other yielded 400,000. The war remained ferocious for twelve to fifteen months after those surveys were finished and then began to subside. Iraq Body Count, a London NGO that uses English-language press reports from Iraq to count civilian deaths, provides a means to update the 2006 estimates. While it is known to be an undercount, because press reports are incomplete and Baghdad-centric, IBC nonetheless provides useful trends, which are striking. Its estimates are nearing 100,000, more than double its June 2006 figure of 45,000. (It does not count nonviolent excess deaths -- from health emergencies, for example -- or insurgent deaths.) If this is an acceptable marker, a plausible estimate of total deaths can be calculated by doubling the totals of the 2006 household surveys, which used a much more reliable and sophisticated method for estimates that draws on long experience in epidemiology. So we have, at present, between 800,000 and 1.3 million "excess deaths" as we approach the six-year anniversary of this war.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Grock

Again you have to look at the numbers . It claims the high estimate for deaths from the surveys in mid 2006 was 650,000. This was after 3 years of war, which included the heaviest fighting. It then claims the war had intense fighting for 12 to 15 months after the survey. Their conclusion from this? Double the estimates for a total of 800,000 from the low number in the survey to 1.3 million the high number. I think that is faulty but I can deal with it. But if you had 1.3 million dead (probablly a very exagerated number) where do you come up with 2 million widows? Like I said earlier you have to take these reports with a grain of salt.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Yay another Bush thread. Is it ones duty to keep kicking the dead horse.

I hate to inform you but there is a new Boss now and I think pressure should be applied, rather then try to dig up OLD news.

Move-on.org

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Cio88

Sorry mate, BUT, 'those who do not LEARN from their history are doomed to repeat it'. as much as you'd love to move on, the mistakes of the Bush Administration are still fair game...

So I wonder what the truth is? 1,000,00 dead is a LOT of dead.

5,000,000 orphans is a lot of kids who are going to grow up with a grudge.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
And this info is from????

exactly. More political baiting.

Stop deflecting the errors and mistakes and well, horrid excuse of being a president on Obama's part.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Funny. I just posted this on Breaking Alternative News.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join