It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bluescreenofdeath help - Probably sound related

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Recently, I gutted this PC and installed a new motherboard (Asus M2N), processor, video card and power supply.

Kept the old harddrive, with the old stuff's drivers on it etc etc and installed the drivers for the new stuff on afterwards.

I have had no conflicts with any of it so far, except for one niggling problem.

The game Company of Heroes goes to blue screen of death every time you try to load a level.

The reason is a viahd file, ending in .sys. VIA HD is the new onboard audio that came with the motherboard.

The old audio drivers still exist somewhere, and I'm worried that might be the problem. Although they don't show up on add/remove programs.

I used Registry Mechanic to clear the old problems out... all 980 of them. The BSOD is still persisting.

I've updated the VIA audio drivers, after trying a reinstall from the motherboard drivers disk first. Still having the problem.

I can get the exact filename and error if needed, I'm just hoping It can be solved without having to force another BSOD. It can't be doing the PC any good having like 5 of them a day.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
You DID reinstall the OP system when you made that swap? Or did you just slam the hard drive in and boot up? :shk:

Only reason I ask is that's a lot of registry errors, and would be typical of trying to do it that way without a reinstall of Windows. That's usually not worth the aggravation. Better always to reinstall opsys on new MB.

It appears that game was released in 2006. And given the requirements, not sure that would be compatible with SLI chipset on the Asus. You tried reducing audio config in game down from HD and choosing a lower setting, then running?

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Recently, I gutted this PC and installed a new motherboard (Asus M2N), processor, video card and power supply.

Kept the old harddrive, with the old stuff's drivers on it etc etc and installed the drivers for the new stuff on afterwards.

That isn't the right thing to do. Now your Winblows is a quagmire of old bad drivers and new ones and it's confused. I have never seen what you have done work (and believe me I've tried it on numerous versions of wind0wz)

The only way to do it right is:

Make sure BIOS is up to date
Get a copy of Vista Black (search vista black rapidshare with g00gle)
Boot the install screen
Re-partition and format hard drive
Install windowz

Once windows is installed

Install all updates
Install chipset drivers FIRST
Install vid card drivers next and everything else after

Your computer will work SO much better after you do this, thus operating at its maximum potential.

-s

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

No i didn't reinstall windows.

Stupid thing to do I know, but as i said, this is the only issue that has arisen out of it.

I haven't got a windows disk in the house at the moment so reinstalling wasn't/isn't really an option.

And yes I've tried a multitude of combinations in the game's sound options.

Oh, and I only have 1 video card, no SLI.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I've got a computer in the shop with a bad motherboard.

This guy wants to preserve everything. He's afraid of losing programs that there are no disks for, and making sure that he doesn't lose his contacts and stuff in Outlook Express. Outlook Express, I may be able to boot it up long enough, on another machine, just to creat a backup PST file from Outlook.

I haven't been able to find the exact motherboard yet. Maybe a similar enough motherboard will work out ok, without reformat? It's a pain in the butt, looking for this thing.

I've never really ran a transferred hard drive (with the old system), in another setup, long enough to find out what kind of problems could arise. I'm sure there could be driver problems and such.

Anyone know where a can find some old Soyo motherboards? I checked E-bay, and I didn't find any that were similar enough.

Troy

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Yep you should of gone for a clean install on the new system.

Maybe you should of got a new hard drive and slaved the old one, then you could of kept everything but had a fresh install of your operating system(s) on the new HDD.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

Aww jeez man. Hate to hear that...Problems can be buried way deep when you do that and not immediately evident.

That's the chipset on the MB I am talking about which supports SLI. The game may not support it, because it's older, but it might...check the box or manual or help files.

But anyway, you got another newer game installed that works through and through with no troubles?

new topics

top topics

join